D&D 3E/3.5 3.5- Need help making a Vampire lord

Naoki00_

First Post
Hello everyone, I'm finishing up writing things up for a new campaign my group will be doing with myself as the DM, however I've hit a bit of a snag.

The final enemy of this campaign is a Vampire lord using this as the 'lord' part of the template for those whom don't know about- Monster Mayhem: The Vampire Lord (Template)

my problem now is figuring out what classes to make it, and while I know perfectly well magic classes are powerful, this isn't the type of setting OR villain that would have magic classes. I don't want the usual fighter or barbarian, but something dynamic that will fit with his brutal but elegant style of frontline fighting like something out of the Hellsing OVA or similar. It's natural magic abilities would be the only real such things it has.

Now I can't say I have access to a large number of books and thus my problem, but I believe I know enough people that could provide one if I don't have it and so anything from those would be nice, the books I DO have are the PH, DM manual, Tome of Battle, Stormwrack, and Serpent kingdoms.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Hello everyone, I'm finishing up writing things up for a new campaign my group will be doing with myself as the DM, however I've hit a bit of a snag.

The final enemy of this campaign is a Vampire lord using this as the 'lord' part of the template for those whom don't know about- Monster Mayhem: The Vampire Lord (Template)

my problem now is figuring out what classes to make it, and while I know perfectly well magic classes are powerful, this isn't the type of setting OR villain that would have magic classes. I don't want the usual fighter or barbarian, but something dynamic that will fit with his brutal but elegant style of frontline fighting like something out of the Hellsing OVA or similar. It's natural magic abilities would be the only real such things it has.

Now I can't say I have access to a large number of books and thus my problem, but I believe I know enough people that could provide one if I don't have it and so anything from those would be nice, the books I DO have are the PH, DM manual, Tome of Battle, Stormwrack, and Serpent kingdoms.

Brutal and Elegant Style? Sounds like you should dig through that Tome of Battle and pull out an Evil Crusader or Warblade.

Naoki00_

First Post
Brutal and Elegant Style? Sounds like you should dig through that Tome of Battle and pull out an Evil Crusader or Warblade.
I did think about that one, but before I use that I'd like to have some other options since none of the group other then me has ever even used maneuvers or that book

Razjah

Explorer
Warblade or Swordsage. Warblade is probably best for brutality. Elegance is supposed to be the swordsage's thing. Crusader could work, but for going against a party I don't think it's defensive options will do enough. I would just smash into the party with a warblade and make them cry.

Assassin Prc can do it, but you want to avoid magic.

I'm not sure what is in Stormwrack or Serpent Kingdoms so I don't know what you can pull from there.

Razjah

Explorer
I would second the Factotum, except it is in the Dungeonscape book.

If you go with Complete Warrior, I like the Hexblade for being able to really cause problems. Here is link to an excellent guide for making the Hexblade work. I think it would be a solid way to challenge the party.

Razjah

Explorer
I think just giving class combinations is going about this the wrong way (but Jester Canuck has the best one with Blackguard).

What kind of vampire is it? What is your setting like? How are they meeting this vamp- it's lair? Did it hunt them? Are it's minions around? Is this fight going to be the climax of the campaign? What level are you planning the party to be when the fight this?

To give better answers than just giving class ideas, I think we need more information about the campaign.

Have you heard of E6? That would make the vampire a huge threat without needing to go nuts on levels, and helping keep the party from using a few spells to end the fight then finding some way to destroy the Vampire Lord.

nijineko

Explorer
you could add some templates instead of class levels. symbiote, feral, and spellstiched come to mind. or you could do stuff like adding bloodlines or elemental variants or paragon levels to the base creature.

Shaghayegh

First Post

This guy is IMMORTAL, he has had centuries to plot and scheme. Forget "Plan B", this guys Plan X, Plan Y, Plan Z, Plan AA, Plan BB... He has had an endless amount of time to prepare for any encounter. Long before the PCs knew he existed, his network of minions warned him about them and he figured out all of their weaknesses and strengths. With hundreds of years to prepare, even 2-3 levels as a spellcaster can do amazing things.

Imagine just turning invisible for an hour a day, walking around using Detect Thoughts to spy on local merchants and nobles. Your knowledge of their dirty little secrets would be far more frightening to them than any Fireball. Cast Charm or Suggestion on a random person every day for 300 years with a simple command like "Love me and tell everyone how great I am." You would end up being worshiped and treated like a saint.

Stop worrying about silly combat tricks and really think BIG, look at the broad scope of what this character can do long before the PCs ever encounter him...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases