D&D 3E/3.5 (3.5) Need help selecting a swamp in Faerun(FR).

NaturalFn20

First Post
I'm going to be DMing for the first time since I started playing D&D about 3-4 years ago. I've read through a few modules from "Dungeon Magazine" published by TSR at the time. I'm going to be using 2 modules and string them together.

The first module is created for characters level 1-3 where they'll be fighting undead and a "weak" troll. The troll lives in a fen by a semi-popular tourist attraction where he sings a very compelling and beautiful song at night (picture emo troll).

The 2nd module is a pretty loony one created for level 1-6, but is pretty difficult considering the encounters. The encounters consists of will 'o wisps, large insect swarms of 20+4d6 insects doing d6 damage a round of drain until they've drunk 1/2 their total HP in blood from the party (which with 3-4 people might be quick, which is why I'm having them do the troll module first to get them to 2nd or 3rd level before entering this module). There's also a huge bog monster (variant shambling mound) that they COULD fight, but are not meant to.

Toss in some giant spiders, snakes, crocodiles, yellow musk creepers and zombies and this module has a lot of potential to kill a party. That's not even mentioning the quicksand or bog gas that can ignite an enormous fireball.

Still, it's not that I'm trying to be a sinister DM or anything, that's just the way that the module was written. It's also why I'm having the party grab some levels and money before they head to this harder module. It would suck so badly not to have healing in this module. I can tell that they'll defeat the troll module in maybe 2 hours. It seems that short, but the 2nd module is going to last several sessions.

TL;DNR: Looking for a swamp that fits my needs for the above in Faerun.

Currently looking at the Vast Swamp near Cormyr and Sembia.

Only problem with that is, I might want to save this swamp for further badassery down the line. Toss in the fact that there are Mind Flayers, Beholders and other sick stuff in this swamp and..well, you get it. If I do use the Vast swamp, they'd just be venturing around the edges and maybe slightly into the swamp.

If I can avoid using the Vast swamp that'd be great. I'm looking for a very Florida type swamp. I'm not looking for a swamp in a desert. This one seems lush with plant life, animal life etc. Also, there's a hilarious old man in the module with some giggling shrooms (haha.)

Anyway, let's see what I get for recommendations.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Old Man Kataan and his mushroom band!

There's a swamp on the coast south of Waterdeep, I think. It's been years since I looked at the FR, so I might be misremembering. It was the scene of another series of Dungeon mag adventures, I think.

Personally, I'd just pick a spot on the map that looks good and say "mmmm... there's a swamp there now!".

If this is a short-term campaign (just these two adventures) who cares if there "really is" a swamp there?

NaturalFn20

First Post
Old Man Katan indeed!

I was looking at that swamp in waterdeep as well. I also thought about just picking some marshland and saying "GO FORTH YOUNG WARRIORS AND DO GOOD!"

But wanted to show I wasn't that half ass and actually picked a swamp that might have some history that I could look up and offer them as part of the description of the area.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
The Mere of Dead Men north of Waterdeep is probably where I would choose.

It's the right sort of terrain, it's near a large city for when the players want their characters to go shopping or do other things and Waterdeep offers Undermountain for when you want a straightforward dungeon crawl.

Also, if you have an extensive 2E Dungeon collection there is quite a good five adventure series set in the Mere of Dead Men and surprisingly known as the Mere of Dead Men series. It was the first adventure path published in Dungeon.

NaturalFn20

First Post
The Mere of Dead Men north of Waterdeep is probably where I would choose.

It's the right sort of terrain, it's near a large city for when the players want their characters to go shopping or do other things and Waterdeep offers Undermountain for when you want a straightforward dungeon crawl.

Also, if you have an extensive 2E Dungeon collection there is quite a good five adventure series set in the Mere of Dead Men and surprisingly known as the Mere of Dead Men series. It was the first adventure path published in Dungeon.

The Mere of Dead Men is more perfect than you might think if you haven't read the module. The module details how there was a large orc vs human battle in the area a long time ago, which is basically how a growth potion was leaked into the swamp and caused all the problems in the area.

On top of that, it also connects with the first module because it brings up a mage's tower, which if they fail their gather information check, I can give them false information and make them believe that the tower belonged to Iniarv, former mage royal of Uthtower who had become a lich.

Thanks a lot. Still, I think I'm gonna' stick with the Vast Swamp. There's just too much here that fits the actual area to throw away. Maybe I'll use the Mere of Dead Men in another adventure.

Last edited:

Remove ads