D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] New Animal Companion Rules?

Felix

Explorer
Well, it used to be the Druid could have 1 HD of animal companion for every HD he had. So....

[HouseRule]The druid can have as many animal companions he wants. For each HD the druid has, he can have 1 HDE (hit die equivalent) of animal companions. This means when the druid gains a level, he can either choose to a) gain a new 1 HD animal companion, b) advance one current animal companion according to the table provided, or c) drop the animal companion and get a new animal companion (after 24 hours) who has advanced on the chart. [/HouseRule]

Best of both worlds, eh? (Options, not restrictions? Where have I heard that?) Have a lot of animal companions: they're weak. Have a strong animal companions: it isn't as versatile as many companions.

I like the way they advance the animal companion, but I think of Montolio with all his litte friends when I think Animal Companions.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Dimwhit said:
However, I'm not sure how I like only getting 1 companion now. My Druid doesn't even have one, and probably wouldn't take more than one. But what of the Druid who likes to have several smaller companions? Maybe some that stay behind at the grove or something?

Well, if you were in my campaign, I'd say 'take the Leadership feat, and we'll make your followers animals instead of normal NPCs'.

J

hong

WotC's bitch
drnuncheon said:

Well, if you were in my campaign, I'd say 'take the Leadership feat, and we'll make your followers animals instead of normal NPCs'.

Gaah!!1! Drnuncheon STOLE MY SCHTICK!!11!

(The knight IMC has a celestial warhorse with fighter levels as a cohort, and I'd use the same mechanic for animal companions.)

LokiDR

First Post
drnuncheon said:

J

You know, I think that is the easiest solution. It fits the character concept as well.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Even beyond that, the animal friendship spell wasn't doing an awful lot beyond what, say, using animal empathy and just talking to the critters could do. The spymaster concept is perfectly doable as soon as you can talk to animals, and even more so now that animal empathy is a class ability rather than a skill, and wildshape lets you speak with appropriate critters.

Remove ads