• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Psionics skills

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I know there's no 3.5 PsiHB being planned at the moment, but this is something I've been considering heavily lately.

Given that several skills in 3e are being combined for the Revised Editions in order to make the list more streamlined and to make all skill choices more important, do you think that Autohypnosis and Stabilize Self will be officially made functions of Concentration? Should they be?

If I were to houserule this for my own games, would there be a serious impact on balance?

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Korimyr the Rat said:
If I were to houserule this for my own games, would there be a serious impact on balance?

Since this really doesn't have anything to do with 3.5 I'll push this over to house rules.

My take is that it probably would alter the balance, since it covers 3 pretty useful abilities. If you find you want your psionic characters able to take more skills, though, go for it. I would probably go with a synergy bonus for concentration, myself.

LostWorldsMike

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
I know there's no 3.5 PsiHB being planned at the moment, but this is something I've been considering heavily lately.

Given that several skills in 3e are being combined for the Revised Editions in order to make the list more streamlined and to make all skill choices more important, do you think that Autohypnosis and Stabilize Self will be officially made functions of Concentration? Should they be?

I don't think I'd roll all three into Concentration, but I might consider making Stabilize Self a sub-skill with Autohypnosis. Lumping all of those into one skill has definite unbalancing possibilities (as Dinkledog pointed out).

Gez

First Post
I would make Autohypnosis into Concentration and Stabilize Self into Heal.

I tend to consider that when you have magical (divine, arcane, or psionic) abilities, it affects the way you use your skills anyway -- it's a pure flavor and descriptive factor. A wizard picking a lock help himself with minor magical effects that'll help him guess where the bar is, make his pick more resistant to torsions, etc.
So, having Stab Self (sounds weird when shortened) be a psionical effect of Heal means that a psion may heal someone (using the normal skill) guided by his psionic knowledge of how a body works; and/or that his normal knowledge of medecine may be used unconsciously and psionically to stop bleeding.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd allow both to be merged into one skill, "Mind over Body".

Stabilize Self isn't useful enough to be its own skill IMHO.

-- Nifft

gamecat

Explorer
Nifft said:

-- Nifft

Wait untill your character is bleeding to death on the ground. Those 10% stabilization rolls are quite depressing...

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Nifft said:

Part of my thinking is that Autohypnosis should be accessible by pretty much any spellcaster. They may not need as much deep introspection and neurohacking as a Psion, but they certainly have as much, if not more, need of memorization and altering their own mental states.

The only reason I included Stabilize Self is because it's not useful enough to be its own skill. In fact, if you're using Stabilize Self, you've already lost, and there's a very good chance that you're dead, anyway.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Korimyr the Rat said:
Part of my thinking is that Autohypnosis should be accessible by pretty much any spellcaster. They may not need as much deep introspection and neurohacking as a Psion, but they certainly have as much, if not more, need of memorization and altering their own mental states.

I disagree. IMHO it would be nice to allow Monks to use Autohypnosis, but that's about it for the non-Psi classes. Clerics have their own way to deal with all those conditions, and Wizards are powerful enough.

-- Nifft

Malicene

First Post
as per Cordell Chat (on montecook site) no 3.5 Psi handbook for now. But have you got Mindscape a psion guide ?, there is many changes in it .
and I really appreciated the Mindscape Combat ! (far better psi combat system IMO)

bye

Remove ads