D&D 3E/3.5 (3.5) Quick Alter Self Question

TremorFang

First Post
So say I was playing as a Stone Giant (Large size). If I had an item that gave the spell alter self, would I be able to choose to become a human?

I mean Giants are within one size category of a human. Also I would say giants are largely humanoid in nature.

What do you guys think?

Corsair

First Post
No. Your type is "Giant." You could only become a Medium, Large, or Huge "Giant" that has 5 HD or less.

So basically, you're pretty much limited to ogres.

TremorFang

First Post
I see. Well thanks for the answers. Is there any other possible way to shift a giants size from large to medium through a custom magic item?

The reason I ask is I would like to play as a Giant (given the DM's consent) and would occasionally like to not walk bent over whilst in halls, or stand outside because he couldn't fit into a home.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Runestar

First Post
Unapproachable east has the taer, which is a medium sized giant. So alter self would allow you to assume the form of a medium-sized character. :)

bobhayes

First Post
You couldn't become a human, as the other responders have indicated.

On the other hand, if what you want to do is PASS for human, then to a large degree the answer would be yes. You'd still have the features and build of whatever type of giant you chose to alter yourself into (the taer for example), but your size would be human-appropriate. A six-foot-tall stone giant is going to look odd, but go to NYC and look around; there are weirder people than that. Humans have a lot of variety.

You couldn't get away with living as a human, people (especially adventurers) would spot there was something wrong with you, but if I was your DM and you were trying to do pass well enough to get a drink at the inn, I'd give you a chance at a Disguise roll.

TremorFang

First Post
Good to know. Just to make sure, if I were to alter self into the taer, I would keep my original attribute scores (Str, Con, Wis, etc..) ?

Thanks yet again.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Most DM's are really careful about Polymorph and it's lesser cousin, Alter Self. Many will presume that a character knows about common races, but many will require a Knowledge check of some kind, or considerable research, to give you access to some of the lesser known races.

For example, a Human changing to an Elf would be easy. Changing to an Averial (Winged Elf), however, is another matter. They're rare, even in Faerun, the world they come from. Knowing enough about them to become one isn't all that easy. And if you're playing in the Realms or Greyhawk...

So the answer there is, as always, check with the DM.

As for your original question: An item with Reduce Person (1st level Wizard spell) and a Hat of Disguise may give you what you want.

Alter Self and that same hat may work, if you don't mind being a very tall "human".

Runestar

First Post
Good to know. Just to make sure, if I were to alter self into the taer, I would keep my original attribute scores (Str, Con, Wis, etc..) ?

Thanks yet again.

You retain your stats, but I think you will take a massive hit to your NA, because the taer doesn't have any (or very little, IIRC).

TremorFang

First Post
You retain your stats, but I think you will take a massive hit to your NA, because the taer doesn't have any (or very little, IIRC).

I see. Well I think I may actually go the Reduce Person way, as it would bring me down to medium size and only hit my giants strength score by -2.

The info you mentioned only helped to confirm the direction I would approach this "problem".

Thanks again.

Remove ads