D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 quicken spell & Sorcerer

jgsugden

Legend
questionmark said:
sorry but that doesn't make sense to me, it takes a wiz a standard action to do a metamagic spell but a quickened spell is a free action not a standard

It may not make sense to you, but it is in the rules. Using a metamagic feat on a spontaneously cast spell increases the casting time to a full round action (from a standard action). This trumps the quicken spell's function. This is pretty well established info.

Two ways around it:

1.) Look in Tome and Blood for a feat called arcane preparation. If a wizard takes this feat, he can then make use of the quicken spell feat. He just has to plan a bit.

2.) Look at the archmage class in the DMG and the feats in the MM. An archmage sorcerer can select spell-like ability as a high arcana and then use the quicken spell-like ability feat from the MM to effectively make it a quickened spell. This is, of course, subject to DM approval (of the feat and the prestige class).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Note that - as jgsugden points out - a Sorcerer casting a metamagic spell requires a full round action, but the spell does not take a full round to cast (like a spell with a one round casting time - eg Summon Monster - would).

-Hyp.

Malin Genie

First Post
I remember reading that the 3.0 designers had originally intended allowing Sorcerors to take 'already-metamagiced' spells as known spells, so for example a sorceror could take an empowered flaming sphere as a fourth level known spell. It was dropped as I understand it 'for simplicity's sake'.

With that ruling, a sorceror with QS could have taken quickened magic missile in a 5th level slot and cast it as a free action, as she is not applying metamagic to a spontaneously cast spell. Of course, if she tried to use a 7th level slot to empower that quickened magic missile it would be back to a full-round casting.

I was very disappointed not to see that option put into 3.5, as it was a quick, easy and intuitive way to make sorcerors more compatible with the metamagic system.

S'mon

Legend
I houserule that Sorcerers can cast Quickened spells as a free action. I haven't seen any game-balance problems with this; using a 5th level slot to magic missile is a fair trade off IMO.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I used to think that Metamagic Rods of Quickening was the Sorcerer's dream item. However, it makes special mention that Sorcerers find it unusable, and that Sorcs need a full-round action to use any Metamagic Rod.

IMO this stinks. Wizards get to use MetaRods to avoid BOTH negative Metamagic aspects: must prep, must use higher level slot. Sorcs should get to avoid BOTH negative Metamagic aspects, too (must use full-round action, must use higher spell slot).

Discussion of my solution would tend to constitute House Rules... ;)

-- Nifft

Remove ads