D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 reprints....who has them?

JeffB

Legend
And is it worth it over gently used originals? Other than eratta and new covers are there any improvements? (granted those are both big improvements). Physically are they higher quality paper/covers/binding?

The good thing I have noticed about the reprints are that prices are starting to come down on originals.

Argyle King

Legend
I had considered it, but -in the end- I didn't see the point of purchasing them. I still have a rather robust 3.5 library. Also, I have some of the later printings of the PHB; more specifically, I have the soft cover version which came late in 3rd's life cycle. As that version already had a lot of errata included, I did not understand what the reprints would fix that I didn't already have.

I highly enjoyed 3rd Edition. I simply had a tough time justifying purchasing books which I already own. Especially when the ones I have are still in excellent condition.

Since you are asking are the books good quality the answer is yes. Whether it is worth it is very subjective. As a collector they are 100% worth it, they are lovely books (whereas the originals are poor quality and ugly as sin). As for using them as your main gaming books, yes they are worth it as I think they will hold up well. But if you still have the originals, do you need them?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Since you are asking are the books good quality the answer is yes. Whether it is worth it is very subjective. As a collector they are 100% worth it, they are lovely books (whereas the originals are poor quality and ugly as sin). As for using them as your main gaming books, yes they are worth it as I think they will hold up well. But if you still have the originals, do you need them?
Full agreement. It's a very beautiful edition and as a collector they are well worth it. If you already have one of the latest printings and you don't care about the collector "value" it's probably not really worth it. Personally, I'm glad I bought them. :)

JeffB

Legend
Thanks folks. I gave up on collecting a few years ago ( though the $ i got for my collections sure tempts me from time to time, lol).

These would be for play , or rather as references for conversions to my lite d20 based game.

am181d

Adventurer
Yeah, I can't think of any other variables beside the errata, the newness, and the somewhat prettier-ness. I'm running a 3.5 game, so I picked up a copy of the PHB. I'm home brewing all the monsters and magical items so I didn't see much purpose in picking up the MM or DMG. In all cases, it would have been a luxury buy rather than a necessity.

mcintma

First Post
Looking fwd to the Slave Lords reprint - includes a wholly new module, a trend I hope will continue (new material for 1e, 2e, 3e, ...)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I have them...I picked up the whole set last weekend to replace my aging originals. The quality, artwork, and page layout are all identical to the originals, as far as I can tell. I haven't done a page-by-page comparison, but they seem to be identical to my untrained eye.

The price tag was definitely higher, but that's about the only important difference I found.

JeffB

Legend
I decided to stick with the mildly used originals. Ended up saving about 25 bucks over what the reprints would have run me on Amazon. More money for other books I could use for my game.

Maybe Santa will drop me off a set of reprints.

FYI, used 3.5 PHBs are listed now as Amazon's #1selling D&D item. Pretty impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads