D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5 speculation] Summon Monster IX vs. Gate

MerakSpielman

First Post
Think they'll fix the problem? I mean, why would a wizard cast Summon Monster IX when he can gate in a Solar instead?

All the counters for the Gate spell to make it more balanced are house rules or DM interpretations. Used entirely as written, there's just something wrong here...

I think they'll weaken (but not remove) the ability of Gate to be a monster summoning spell, and emphasize the planar travel aspect of it. Maybe increasing the casting time to 10 minutes would help.

Stalker0

Legend
MerakSpielman said:
Think they'll fix the problem? I mean, why would a wizard cast Summon Monster IX when he can gate in a Solar instead?

All the counters for the Gate spell to make it more balanced are house rules or DM interpretations. Used entirely as written, there's just something wrong here...

I think they'll weaken (but not remove) the ability of Gate to be a monster summoning spell, and emphasize the planar travel aspect of it. Maybe increasing the casting time to 10 minutes would help.

Yeah, I would say the easiest way to balance it is casting time, that way gate is not really an incombat solution.

Remove ads