D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] SR and objects

kreynolds

First Post
Your stuff too, AFAIK. Remember, your gear is generally considered a part of you, which is why your equipment usually makes saving throws using your bonuses.

James McMurray

First Post
That seems to have been the general consensus over on webrpg as well, but nobody can find an actual reference. Everything I've ever seeen specifically mentions the creature when referring to Spell Resistance. :(

kreynolds

First Post
I'm sure you can find at least two or three in the FAQ. Besides, other items function the same way. An item that gives you a +4 bonus to Reflex saves doesn't just apply to you but not your belt or hat.

James McMurray

First Post
Ah, but that's because everywhere you look you see where it says items use their holder's save bonuses. It doesn't say that about SR. I'll check the FAQ though, thanks for reminding me it exists. :)

Edit: Nope, nothing in the FAQ.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
James McMurray said:
Ah, but that's because everywhere you look you see where it says items use their holder's save bonuses. It doesn't say that about SR.

If you carry the standpoint of SR not protectiong equipment to completion, then items _can't_ use their holder's save bonuses. But they do. If items use their holder's save bonuses, even though they aren't a part of the holder, why wouldn't SR protect a holder's items?

James McMurray said:
Edit: Nope, nothing in the FAQ.

Argh. Must have been in a sage reply then. I'll try to check later...

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
kreynolds said:

If you carry the standpoint of SR not protectiong equipment to completion, then items _can't_ use their holder's save bonuses. But they do. If items use their holder's save bonuses, even though they aren't a part of the holder, why wouldn't SR protect a holder's items?

I don't quite follow your reasoning.

But then again, it doesn't matter. A sentence that I missed was pointed out to me over on webrpg. It mentions a drow's gear being resistant to adaylight spell. Of course, its the only mention of it (and in an example, not an actual "this is a rule" type sentence), but its better than nothing. :)

The Little Raven

First Post
James McMurray said:

I don't quite follow your reasoning.

But then again, it doesn't matter. A sentence that I missed was pointed out to me over on webrpg. It mentions a drow's gear being resistant to adaylight spell. Of course, its the only mention of it (and in an example, not an actual "this is a rule" type sentence), but its better than nothing. :)

His reasoning is simple.

Why would your magic belt use your Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves, but not your Spell Resistance?

Remove ads