• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Stronghold Building / Realm Running Rules

Melkor

Explorer
Are there any 3.5 specific supplements for building strongholds, running realms, and adjudicating wars ? WotC or 3rd party? Thanks.

Davinshe

Explorer
The Stronghold builder's Guide is 3.0, but requires very little to convert to 3.5. Player's Handbook II has rules for organizations, though I can't really say I think they are playable (the actions that organizations can take are not well balanced and are extremely arbitrary. You can be a kingdom without the ability to mint money or wage war, for example, if you don't pick the proper action)

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I seconded Davinshe's recommendation for Stronghold Builder's Guide. The vast amount of customization one can achieve with that book is astounding, though I feel that at least one player is "required" to take the Land Lord feat in order to build anything worthy of an adventuring party. Ie, useful defenses, secret passage-ways, etc.

I know it's technically not D&D 3.5 but you may wish to take a look at Pathfinders "Ultimate Campaign". For construction and running a kingdom in the sections on Downtime and Kingdom Building. You may also find "Cityscapes: New Settlement Options" useful, though I have neither fully read nor play with it.

I will warn that the Pathfinder's version of construction is extremely light-weight in comparison to the Stronghold Builder's Guide and is cheaper. My group has used both set of systems, separately as well as in conjunction with one another, to great success. If you do use the two together, I would advise only using the Stronghold for modifying the Pathfinder with the exception of when constructing things like floating/flying towers, etc.

Last but not least, Mass Combat does a decent job of simplifying two (or more) armies going at one another (or armies trying to fight off a tarrasque).

Best of luck and hope this helps.

Remove ads