D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Summon Swarm confusion

Grant_Stoom

First Post
Last night I cast Summon Swarm with my mighty level 3 druid, intent on taking out an enemy spellcaster. I hadn't checked the spell since 3.0, but just double checked to see what kind of damage it did.

I'm not sure if anything could have been more confusing. It said the swarm could be different types (bats, rats, or spiders) and to look at the Monster Manual for details. So I found the swarm section in the back that listed damage for HD of the swarm. However, the spell didn't say how many HD the swarm was.

Then it said the swarm could cause nausea if they failed a Fort save calculated by the 10 + 1/2 HD of swarm (which I still didn't know) + the Con of the swarm (which I also didn't know). Plus there was a bunch of confusion about the critters being size Tiny or Diminuative, and that Tiny swarms would be subject to Attacks of Opportunity when moving.

It was a huge freaking waste of time. Does anyone know the correct way to summon a swarm? Why did they change something that was relatively easy to a TOTAL NIGHTMARE in terms of playability? Thanks for any help. I don't want to shelve the spell just because it's confusing, but my group plays pretty close to the rules - and I'm not too keen on stopping the action for 15 minutes while we figure out a spell.

smetzger

Explorer
I don't know how the books read but its pretty clear from the SRD.

There is no mention of nausea and there is only one listing of Bat (3d8 (13 hp)), Rat (4d8 (13 hp)), and Spider (2d8 (9 hp)) Swarms.

Remove ads