[3.5] TALON: What are you guys going to do?

KDLadage

Explorer
Does anyone know if Talon Comics has already shipped the 3.5 books or when they will ship them?

This is just an inquiry.

I know that all of those at Talon Comics are working hard to ensure that all of us who ordered through them will get our books in a timely fashion... furthermore, I am fully aware that the official street date is not until the 18th and thus, if I have to wait until then for the books to be shipped, then this is certainly not a big deal. I can wait.

I inquire because it is more than evident that Walmart, Amazon and a whole host of local stores have ignored WotC on the street date and have shipped, sold or otherwise released the 3.5 books. This puts the guys at Talon in a rather sticky situation.
  • As honest people, they could wait for the official street date... resulting in lost sales, lost opportunities and lost money in the process. This is doubly costly, as it has been shown that Talon Comics (and other small, local shops) cannot afford to cut their prices to the quick the way that Walmart, Amazon and other national and/or international giant retailers can.
  • As businessmen, they could ignore the street date... and risk getting WotC angry with them. WotC might shy away from attacking Walmart or Amazon, but they would certainly have a small fish to fry in the form of Talon Comics. And it would not require a lawsuit to impact Talon's business pretty hard.

So... just wondering how Talon is handling this problem. Again: I ordered from Talon, and I can wait. I have no trouble doing that (my next game does not begin for another three weeks anyway...). I am just curious.

herald

First Post
Last word was that WOTC was holding the distributer to the release date and therefore Talon had not gotten his books. He keeps hoping WOTC will change thier minds.

It's also kinda sad that WOTC's web site has posted such conflicting information on the release dates.

In the chat about 3.5even one of the developers stats that it should be out about the 14-17th. There's no blaming premade web site pages on that.

KDLadage

Explorer
This is really odd... to the point of getting me really mad.

Is WotC purposefully or accidentally trying to kill the Friendly Local Game Store?

Coik

First Post
Check out the latter pages of the Amazon orders thread. In light of Amazon and Wal-Mart breaking the street date and WotC themselves declaring the books for sale, Derek's trying to get his hands on 'em ASAP.

I have no trouble doing that (my next game does not begin for another three weeks anyway...).

Wish I had your luxury. My DM wants an evaulation as soon after Gen Con as possible.

drnuncheon

Explorer
herald said:
Last word was that WOTC was holding the distributer to the release date and therefore Talon had not gotten his books. He keeps hoping WOTC will change thier minds.

That's strange, because my FLGS has them in. Presumably they go through a distributor.

J

TalonComics

First Post
I just got off the phone with my distributor and they informed me that WotC is still forcing them to honor the street date of the 18th. That means I will be receiving the books, as planned, Friday morning and shipping out that same day.

Believe me when I say this: Neither myself nor my distributor is happy about this and at this point several things are still being discussed and probably will be continued to be discussed at Gencon as well.

Why some retailers have the books for sale:
Distributors are under contractual obligation to not release the books to where they could be put on sale before the 18th. There are only three reasons a store would have them on sale now:
1. They got them from WotC direct and broke the street date.
2. They bought them from the unauthorized distributor who is now under investigation.
3. They bought their shipment from Ingram, the distributor that sent books to the massive discounters and mass bookstore chains.

Something else I found out: Apparently, Wal-Mart has sold through their stock and is now sending out email that some people's orders are back ordered. I received a pretty credible piece of information from a source that Wal-Mart's numbers *total for all 3 of the books was about 1400.

So, the short of this is: I will have the books in stock on Friday. I am in no danger of being shorted *and* if you want a guaranteed set to go out Friday I am still taking orders through tonight. Feel free to give me a call at: 214-287-8661 or just click the sig bar below to go right to my site. :)

~Derek

DonAdam

Explorer
That's bizarre. I've preordered my books with you and lone star down here in Irving has the MM and DMG on the shelves.

Remove ads