D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Tauric monster's base creature LA doesn't matter?

Tovec

Explorer
(self-quote)
I'm glad we reached the same conclusion about not changing the creature type with templates before it could be added on. The two examples I provided do not change the creature type from the ones required to use the template, and thus would be "free-abilities" (if overlooked by the DM). And I do understand how to calculate ECL. I decided not to bring up the HD of the creatures used so that I wouldn't have to effectively publish the template on here. Obviously, choosing the most powerful creature possible for your base creature would result in many racial HD being added to the build, and this would raise the ECL equivalently.

Woodling is fine - "Size and Type: A woodling’s type does not change, but it possesses fully developed plant traits (see below)."

Half-Celesials isn't fine - "Size and Type: The creature's type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate the creature's Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Half-celestials are normally native outsiders."

Taruic - "“Tauric” is a template that combines two creatures into one hybrid creature. The template can be added to any Small or Medium-size corporeal humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base humanoid) and any Medium-size or Large corporeal animal, beast, or vermin with at least four legs (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A tauric creature’s type changes to monstrous humanoid. It otherwise uses all the base creature’s attributes and special abilities except as noted below."

Yes, go out and pick the biggest baddest "Medium-size or Large corporeal animal, beast, or vermin with at least four legs". It is going to be a very strong Tauric creature but there is nothing I can find that makes it impossible.

afluty

First Post
My apologies, that should have read the celestial template, the hyper-link was to the celestial template, but I said it was the half-celestial (the celestial template only changes it to magical beast). Noted and Fixed. I still don't understand the confusion with my initial question, but I think we are in agreement. The rules should have covered how to handle the LA of the base creature so that the template could not be broken as I have pointed out in my first post (and as Eldritch_Lord agrees). However, the HD of the creature is important, as it will affect your ECL in the end.

Last edited:

Outlawzero

First Post
as always moar cheese is better use an incarnated warforged as the huminoid. incarnate construct takes away so much it actually has -la's that cancel out 2 la's but it doesn't affect sub-type so yot get an la'd to hell tauric template for 1 la.

Remove ads