raging you have 24 str.
Use a heaby spear on horseback. Spirited charge gives you X3 damage
Base damage is 1d8+11
Power Attack for +5 to hit
1d8+16 base damage.
With spirited charge, that's
3d8+ 48
or an average of 60 damage per round.

If you'd have let me use DOTF, I could have gotten more damage from Divine Might and a paladin.

Last edited:

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Winternight said:
Level 6 and damage. No way you can cast cloudkill @ level6 unless you use scrolls.
If scroll use (of higher level spells) is Ok I`d use meteor swarm
more damage.

Nowhere in the rules it says I can't use my starting money for scrolls :D

Winternight said:
I win. Still:
"Who's queen?"

You're a Queen, I still win. Who's your daddy? :D

Winternight said:
Wimp :D
;) just kidding. No offense ment.

None taken, Überwimp. :)

Andargor

Axelos

First Post
Tidus4444 said:
A charging Barb 1/ Fighter 5
raging you have 24 str.
Use a heavy spear on horseback. Spirited charge gives you X3 damage
Base damage is 1d8+11
Power Attack for +5 to hit
1d8+16 base damage.

I can't find "heavy spear" in my PHB; I see a "longspear" which is a large weapon. However, unless you are using a LANCE (not a spear), spirited charge does only 2x damage.

Okay, you can simply switch to a heavy lance, which is is medium weapon that inflicts--tada!--1d8 damage. So you're cool. Except for the +11 part, because a character with a Str of 24 has a modifier of +7. You can't get to +11 even if you have Weapon Specialization, unless of course you're packing a magical heavy lance.

You might have been considering that the longspear requires two hands, so you multiply the Str mod by 1.5. However, since you always round down in D&D, that would give you a damage total of 1d8+10 (or 1d8+12 w/ WSpec). The heavy lance, of course, is only a 1-handed weapon.

There is simply no way a character with 24 Str could do 1d8+11 damage without a magical weapon (unless he is a 4th-level paladin smiting evil, or a 1st-level paladin smiting evil with a two-handed weapon, or a 2nd-level paladin/4th-level fighter with weapon specialization smiting evil, or...er...).

I think you're better off with a straight-up Pal6, smiting evil. You lose the rage (thereby losing 2 points of damage) but your smite is good for 6.

Ooh...your supposed Brb 1/Ftr 5 must be a half-orc, or something else with +2 to Str. So I have a half-orc paladin--that's fine. Start with 20 Str (since you said the character had 24 Str when raging), that's a +5 Str mod. Base damage is therefore 1d8+5 (compared to 1d8+7 or 1d8+9 (w/WSpec) for a properly calculated character with 24 Str and a heavy lance). Now, smiting throws in another 6, for 1d8+11. Then add power attack and...woah, that's strange, my legal paladin just did what your miscalculated Brb1/Ftr5 did.

Of course, over the course of several turns, the advantage will turn to your Brb1/Ftr5 because without the smite the paladin does less damage, and your Brb1 probably has a couple more hit points besides. However, the questions concerned damage inflicted in a single round.

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
If scrolls are allowed, adding a level of Paladin to any smack and using Holy Sword as a prep spell might work well. If this doesn't work in 3.5, let me know...

I can't think of too many other damage multipliers offhand.

Shadeus

First Post
6th-level half-orc paladin: S 20, D 8, C 9, I 6, W 14, Ch 10 (have to have that 14 Wis to read the scroll)
Feats: Mounted combat, Ride-by attack, Spirited Charge, power attack.
Equipment: scroll of holy sword, large heavy lance

round 0: read that scroll (3+d20 which must beat a DC 8 check)
round 1: charge said evil foe with a smite!

Attack: +6 (BAB) + 5 (Str) + 5 (holy sword) - 6 (power attack) + 2 (charge) - 2 (inappropriately sized weapon) = +10
Damage: 2d6 + 7 (str, 2H) + 5 (holy sword) + 6 (power attack) + 6 (smite) + 2d6 (holy sword) = 4d6 + 24 x 3
Ave. Dmg: 114

Last edited:

Remove ads