D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Thoughts on Sunder.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I just graced through 3.5 PHB I got yesterday evening.

Now we don't need to use a weapon with equal or higher enhancement bonus to sunder opponent weapon right?

If so, now Maul of the Titans seems to be a dreadful weapon. Even in 3.0e, some players were using this weapon as an ultimate weapon breaker in conjunction with Greater Magic Weapon spell. Now it seems that we can break almost any weapon in a single blow with this mighty maul.

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
Yeah. I think now Adamantine weapon will become very popular, both to make sunder and to withstand against sunder (though Maul of the Titans still break it in a single blow). Guys in my play group are saying that in 3.5e, the first thing a PC should get is a +1 weapon made of adamantine.

locustus

First Post
Shin Okada said:
I just graced through 3.5 PHB I got yesterday evening.

Now we don't need to use a weapon with equal or higher enhancement bonus to sunder opponent weapon right?

Sorry, but you are wrong. Look at 3.5 DMG Pg.222 first paragraph:
Hardness and Hitpoints: An attacker cannot damage a magic weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points.

Artoomis

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5] Thoughts on Sunder.

locustus said:

Hardness and Hitpoints: An attacker cannot damage a magic weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points.

Note that this needs errata because:
Shield Hardness and Hit Points: Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points.

I wonder if weapons are supposed to follow the new rules for shields so as to make them more resistant to sundering. In either case, shileds most certainly shoud not only add +1 hardness and hit points per "+."

locustus

First Post
Mike18xx said:
The 3.5 PHB errata list: 7-29-03

8. DMG p222 says armour and shields get +1 to hardness and hp for every +1 enhancement, shield section says +2 and +10 respectively.

Actually it says weapons and shield get +1 hardness/hit points. It should probably be weapons +1 hardness/hp (P.222*) and shields +2 hardness/+10 hp (P.217)??

*Remeber that you can't sunder a armor while worn, but what if you want to damage it otherwise?

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
Re: Re: [3.5] Thoughts on Sunder.

locustus said:

Oh my! So this is not a rule change and they have just removed that important sentence from PHB's sunder section? That seems to be a bad move.

Azure Trance

First Post
Use FRCS Surestriking. It's only +1 and very useful. Is there a spell for that too? I'm sure that would be useful. Or, as DM, don't introduce Adamantine since it is a rare metal.

Remove ads