• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Whips

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And there's also the Nagaika from MotW

Pretty much the same as the whip dagger from what I can tell, just different flavour. (its effectively a studded whip)

Different critical as well.

However, what I wonder is if you use a whip with TWF (and use say a longsword as your other weapon) do you still draw an AoO if you employ the whip within melee? (Considering that the longsword threatens 5')

Certainly. Just as if you threw a dagger with one hand while holding a longsword in the other.

It's making a ranged attack that provokes the AoO, not whether or not you threaten an area. And a whip provokes an AoO as if you were making a ranged attack.

-Hyp.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Maybe each enhancement bonus of the whip allows you to penetrate a little more armor. So with a +1 whip you could hit anyone with +2 armor bonus or +6 natural armor. Seem reasonable?

DMauricio

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Different critical as well.

oh... couldn't fully check as I don't have my books in front of me right now.

Certainly. Just as if you threw a dagger with one hand while holding a longsword in the other.

It's making a ranged attack that provokes the AoO, not whether or not you threaten an area. And a whip provokes an AoO as if you were making a ranged attack.

-Hyp.

Ahh ok. That makes much more sense.
Much more reason to get the Lasher PrC when using a whip.
Or just use the exotic weapon prof to get a spiked chain instead.

Dom

Remove ads