D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] What's the most broken character under the new rules?

The Souljourner

First Post
Yeah, because any sane DM would allow that :p

Personally I think they should have specified in awaken that the animal has to have no more than 2 intelligence.

-The Souljourner

LokiDR

First Post
The Souljourner said:
Yeah, because any sane DM would allow that :p

Personally I think they should have specified in awaken that the animal has to have no more than 2 intelligence.

-The Souljourner

Animals are defined as having 2 or less intelligence somewhere, but baleful poly and wild shap still change your type. Just because it is a broken combination doesn't mean it isn't valid under the rules. If anything, I think WotC should FAQ that out. But it is still the rules as they stand untill then.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
You guys seem to be talking from experience, so let me throw out a question:

Do you not believe that a druid, wildshaped into a dire ape, then animal growthed, is unbalanced? Adding an animal growthed animal companion, plus spells, into the mixture?

From my admittedly limited experience of 3.0 druids, they were powerful already. Allowing this kind of thing just seems to make them so powerful as to overshadow other classes. I mean, is the fighter supposed to compete with a Huge Dire Ape in combat?

What do you guys think about it?

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
How about a Half-Orc Druid 1/Fighter 4/Ranger 5, specialized in Quarterstaff, with at least a minute of Shillelagh goodness (possibly more with a high wisdom)?

Now that's a two-weapon fighter that's going tear things up (albeit for only a minute or two per day). :)

youspoonybard

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:

Do you not believe that a druid, wildshaped into a dire ape, then animal growthed, is unbalanced? Adding an animal growthed animal companion, plus spells, into the mixture?

From my admittedly limited experience of 3.0 druids, they were powerful already. Allowing this kind of thing just seems to make them so powerful as to overshadow other classes. I mean, is the fighter supposed to compete with a Huge Dire Ape in combat?

It's better than a Righteous Might, but not a persistant one.

It depends on the power level of the campaign, really.

LokiDR

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:

So long as the druid isn't doing this all day, it fits. A few spells from a wizard can make a whole encounter go away, but they can't do that for every fight. So a druid using two rounds to be more powerful than the fighter is fine in my book.

By the way, my experience with druids is much different than yours. I have always seen them as backup. Weaker melee options than the cleric, lacking the offensive spells of mages, and companions that become pretty weak relative to the rest of the party at higher levels. The animal growth trick would let them compete with the divine powered, rightous mighted cleric.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
LokiDR said:
By the way, my experience with druids is much different than yours. I have always seen them as backup. Weaker melee options than the cleric, lacking the offensive spells of mages, and companions that become pretty weak relative to the rest of the party at higher levels. The animal growth trick would let them compete with the divine powered, rightous mighted cleric.
To be fair, the experience I'm drawing from was a year-long campaign (10 hours of gaming a week...I still miss it. :) ) wherein there was no cleric, and the only arcane caster was a fighter/wizard custom class which did not have nearly the amount of pure blasting capability as a full mage.

And your point about the 2 rounds is a good one. I suppose I'll have to wait until I see it in action to have a more balanced perspective on this.

Remove ads