D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] What's the most broken character under the new rules?

Sollir Furryfoot said:
Monk 1/Wizard 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Archmage 3 (Spell Power +6)

Access to 9th level arcane and divine spells at ECL 20, spells known/per day as a 17th level wizard and 19th level Ur-Priest. Cast spells as a 23rd level wizard and 25th level Ur Priest, I suggest spell penetration and greater spell penetration as well. :)

Edit-that's 20 levels, my bad, didn't read the whole part of the initial post. A toned down version of that would be, Monk 1/Wiz 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3, cast 5th level divine spells (caster level 10) and 4th level arcane spells (caster level 7)

Andy said that kind of spellcaster level stacking with the MyTh isn't really allowed. You wouldn't get 3 cleric spellcaster levels out of the archmage levels.

I've never seen the Ur-Priest, so I can't tell how broken it is.

Pielorinho
Yep! The joys of changing types -- gets my vote for the worst change in 3.5.
I thorougly agree. It seems WotC just can't get Polymorph right.

bret

First Post
Intrope said:
Whirlwind Attack prevents you from taking any bonus attacks, so no Whirlwind of Improved Trips (you could still trip them, but you wouldn't get the extra attack)

I wonder if that applies to Attacks of Opportunity? Getting up from prone provokes and AoO, and Combat Reflexes gives you more than the normal number of AoO.

The trip was mostly what I would want in such a character, so when I waded in too deep I could try and trip everyone around me and get out of the way.

Looking at it, I agree that Trip is not the best way to go.

Guess I would go either Power Attack or Weapon Focus (SC), depending on what the typical ACs were. Power Attack is probably better, since WWA is most useful when you are getting mobbed by lots of little things. Since there is a lot of them, their AC should hopefully be lower.

youspoonybard

First Post
Pielorinho said:

...then their ally dispels the baleful polymorph once she's cast awaken, just like she would have done anyway. :)

Daniel

House Rule:

All animals with an intelligence greater than 2 are considered to be magical beasts for the purposes of awaken, and therefore cannot be targetted by the spell.

Any other nasty spells that can be abused? Awaken is the only one I can think of... I don't believe Animal Growth to be a rules abuse, but rather an intended use of the redesigned spell.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
youspoonybard said:

All animals with an intelligence greater than 2 are considered to be magical beasts for the purposes of awaken, and therefore cannot be targetted by the spell.

Doesn't fix the problem: the subject of the polymorph willing fails her save, giving her an Int of 2. Awaken can then target her. Because Awaken is instantaneous, its effects don't end when the polymorph is subsequently dispelled.

Alternate fix: Polymorph spells do not change the type of the creature.
Another alternate fix: Awaken can only be cast on animals who are not currently under any other magical effect.

Daniel

DwarvenBrew

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:

Andy said that kind of spellcaster level stacking with the MyTh isn't really allowed. You wouldn't get 3 cleric spellcaster levels out of the archmage levels.

Correct!

Hi Andy...

Can you tell if its clearly defined in the DMG if you can take a level of Mystic Theurge, then start taking another PrC that grants +1 caster level and assigning those to the Mystic Theurge-thereby only taking one level of Mystic Theurge but using the +1 caster level from another class to continue get +1 Arcane/+1 Divine.

I don't believe this is legal but people kept saying its not against the rules.

If this has been answered somewhere-please ignore.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by WotC_Andy
The mystic theurge, like all other classes that grant improved spellcasting, isn't itself a spellcasting class (there's no spell list, spells per day, etc.). So no, you couldn't do that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by (Psi)Severed Head:

I've never seen the Ur-Priest, so I can't tell how broken it is.

Funnily enough, my name is Andy as well :) But which one are you talking about, and where does he say it?

Anyways that kind of spellcaster stacking isn't prohibited in the written rules (I think), so I don't see a problem with it for the purposes of this contest. The Ur-Priest gets +1 extra caster level for every 2 caster levels of other classes you have, giving it 1.5 levels every MT level :) and yes, its broken.

Last edited:

Remove ads