D&D 3E/3.5 [3e] staff and rods

Eolin

Explorer
Hi.

This might be horribly wrong, and i hope it is.. really.

I was looking through the SRD, as a friend has my copy of the dmg, and i was doing a little project.

So i looked up staffs and decided to give this character i was building a staff of power.

Then i saw a rod of absorption... and had an idea... could i combine the two?

So, i checked the rules on how to build magic items. It looks like with staffs that additional powers always cost half price ... so does this mean that if i add the absorption power to a staff of power that it is added on for half the price of the rod of absorption?

This just sounded horribly wrong, so i thought i'd have to ask around.
Also, if that is the case, could we double the price and have it not have that pesky max charge limit?

So, in other words, it looks like i could have a staff costing 250k that is a staff of power + absorption, without the 50 limit charge on the absorption?

Do tell me I've read something wrong.

Eolin.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Eolin said:
Then i saw a rod of absorption... and had an idea... could i combine the two?

So, i checked the rules on how to build magic items. It looks like with staffs that additional powers always cost half price ... so does this mean that if i add the absorption power to a staff of power that it is added on for half the price of the rod of absorption?
So, in other words, it looks like i could have a staff costing 250k that is a staff of power + absorption, without the 50 limit charge on the absorption?

Do tell me I've read something wrong.

Eolin.

I think you've read it wrong.

When creating staffs, you can add additional *spells* to it.

Rods have unique powers.

You can't incorporate a rod into a staff by the standard rules.

- plus if you take a look at the Staff of the Magi, which is a minor artifact and uncreatable by PCs you will find something which is basically a bit like a lesser staff of power and a lesser rod of absorbtion all in one. That should give some insight into the question!

Remove ads