• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 4.1E - now without classes

Sylrae

First Post
Ambush Bug said:
And yes, the classless character system is a whole-game decision. I haven't been able to build the standard classes with it, and I'm not sure it's exactly possible. If anything, I'd like the classless system to produce slightly weaker characters than the current system, as a way of offsetting the extra flexibility. However, at least for my preferences, I'm willing to have some balance problems in return for not having what I see as the straitjacket of character classes. Even if the classless characters are more powerful than the standard 4E editions, it's not a problem. As the GM, I can increase the threats to compensate. I'll just keep dropping elephants on them, and I have a whole lot of elephants.
While I wholeheartedly agree that this is a step up from 4e's 'straitjacket of character classes', I would want the players to have the option to use the classes if they so choose, and to be able to abandon them and head down a different path at a later time when they gain levels. That's why I would be trying to make the systems equivalent as far as power goes. So while I consider your system to be interesting, it's not quite good enough for me. I would want the ability to have characters with classes as well as characters without, in the same game.

Ambush Bug

First Post
SSquirrel said:
Dr Spunj created a classless system for 3.5 and Arcana Evolved here on the boards. He ditched the D&D magic to utilize the AE system and then balanced both sets of classes around that. It worked very well and also included templates so you could see what each of the core classes got standardly or you could build as you wanted w/your points.
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=82858&highlight=Dr+Spunj's+classless

That's pretty awesome. As a longtime Champions fan, I'm all about careful point-balancing, so my hat's off to Dr Spunj and everyone else who helped put this together. I've thought about trying to do something similar for 4E, although until the game's been field-tested by the D&D community, I'm not sure how useful that would be. Some abilities that look balanced on paper will probably be out of line in play. Once we have a better handle on those, it'll be easier to quantify them. Until then, I think removing classes and loosening the rules on powers/features allows a more flexible game for people who want one.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Yeah it's one of those things I think will need a bit of time for the new system to sink in fully before we see, but if something else of this quality can come about for 4E it will only be a cool thing ;)

Remove ads