4e (book) binding issues?

william_nova

Explorer
I received the box set on the 10th, and while I'm more than happy with the book layout and content, the binding seems like it might be an issue.

I'm no expert on bookbinding, but I was hoping for a sewn signatures or sewn and glued signatures approach; it appears what we've got is double-fan adhesive binding or perfect binding technique, anybody who knows more on this please chime in.

The net result is that my DMG's TOC page has begun to come loose from the glue holding it to the spine, the page is detached from the bottom left to 1/4 of the way to the top, and not from any abuse on my part. I treat books very gingerly.

It appears the book had a defect in the binding process, and I don't look forward to the Amazon return follies; I'll likely have to return the entire core set, and wait until the second print run comes out, which is likely to leave me without books until the end of Juily.

In any case, just my .02 - handle those books with care! Using the simple glue method as they are, those pages won't stand up to any significant abuse in my opinion. For the price we've paid, even those of us who had Amazon discounts, and knowing the amount of page flipping and use these books will get, I'm frankly shocked the binding technique is so flimsy.

And if anybody else has an issue like this I'd be interested to know your take on it.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
My PHB has a noticeable stitch line along the first chapter opening (how to play) that makes it jut out a bit longer than the rest of the pages. I'm not sure its worth replacing, but I will try to be careful with it.

Imperialus

Explorer
I've had the exact opposite as a matter of fact. My Monstrous Manual took a trip down the stairs on Saturday when my cat knocked it off the banister. Apart from a ding in the corner no ill effects.

Last edited:

TheWinslow

First Post
I can remember being livid with nerd rage when my Explorer's handbook fell apart due to bad glue. There's going to be bad batches, butmost booksellers and hobby stores will give you another copy if your story is legit and send the other one back as defective product.

Also, here's a method for preserving the spines on your RPG books, textbooks, and any other hardback you intend on referencing or reading constantly:

1) Open the book as close to the middle as you can (pgs 160-161 in a 320 page book).

2) Take your index and middle finger and and, while holding the book open, gently but firmly (like you're giving a message) push down on the middle of the book, where the pages meet, and stroke downward until you get to the bottom of the book. Repeat this 2 or 3 times or until the pages feel a bit less stiff.

3) Repeat this process at the front cover and first page.

4) Repeat this process at the back cover and last page.

I've used this method since it was recommended to me by another for about 4 years and I've never had a problem with books falling apart. I humbly suggest it is worth a try.

With that, it's good to finally joing ENworld!

Remove ads