• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Character Sheet, by Neceros

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Nice sheet, neceros! You asked for feedback/requests, so here goes:

How about making each entry under "Powers" as tall as the diameter of a typical glass bead or d6? That way, the player can use one of these common items to mark which powers have been used in an encounter. Also, if a power has an ongoing effect, he can place the same color glass bead next to the target (creating an easy reference/reminder of the effect). This size increase has a secondary advantage of giving more room to write out the description. For "action type", I suggest you use a radio button, as you cleverly did for "At-will / Encounter / Daily". Last suggestion for powers: create a boxed section on the right-hand side for Damage (including space to write "type" of damage, if needed).

All this talk of powers reminds me that it's the most-referenced bit of data on the character sheet. I'm a big fan of putting the most-referenced material all on the same page. Can you create an alternate version that puts the Powers on the first page, along with ability scores, defenses, and skills? Bonus points if you can make the PDF so you can type in power information. That way, whenever a power is added or changed, you don't have to erase or re-enter all your PHB information by hand.

I figure you could move character description (height, weight, etc) and experience to a second page, and the languages section can just be absorbed by Feats & Class & Racial abilities. In fact, that F&C&R section can go on the second page as well.

Another way to describe what I'm requesting: the first page should be the Powers section, with abilities, defenses, basic attack (melee & ranged, both with room for 2 entries), skills, HP & surges, and basic info (name, race, class) all on the same first page.

Lastly, in 4E magic items are much more complex, sometimes as complex as a power (see the PHB lite at http://www.ucalgary.ca/~amwhit/PHB_4E_Lite_v1_1.pdf). Lastly, I suggest taking the existing footprint of the Equipment section and making it into a two-column format.

Last edited:

Wepwawet

Explorer
It's very good!
Especially the powers list, compact and with all the info needed: effective :D
Maybe the feats and class abilities don't need so much space, as most of them are powers. Then you could arrange more stuff...
But as you said, we don't know all the rules.

Good work!

keterys

First Post
Very nice - I'd suggest changing Size bonus to Race, though. All indications so far don't show the halfling getting any bonus for being Small, and humans probably get +1 to all saves, etc. It's more versatile.

neceros

Adventurer
keterys said:
Very nice - I'd suggest changing Size bonus to Race, though. All indications so far don't show the halfling getting any bonus for being Small, and humans probably get +1 to all saves, etc. It's more versatile.
I like that.

I know and agree that the Feats section is entirely too big. I'm not sure how many abilities people are going to need, however. At this point, since I'm having issues filling the space, I'm going to leave that section as is. I'd need to know more to adjust. And I will be adjusting in June.

I'm not sure about putting powers on the front side. While I agree that they are extremely important, I want to more emphasis on the character, not what the character does. Thus, I doubt I will ever take the description bit off the main page. Perhaps I will make a separate sheet for the more gamer types. :)

More to the point: the powers are so versatile and enormous I'm not sure how much room they will take up. I'm afraid that powers will consume the sheet as characters will require so many. It's more than possible to put a few on the first page: no issue there. Take away some of the Feats section and move up the weapons and stick them under. Perhaps 5.

However, I'm not above putting powers on the front page along withe everything else. If I can fit it I will. I am interested in making a one page sheet. If it's possible, I'll tackle that monster.

Thank you all for comments. I'll continue putting in the time if you keep up the input.

Edit:
Also,
How about making each entry under "Powers" as tall as the diameter of a typical glass bead or d6? That way, the player can use one of these common items to mark which powers have been used in an encounter. Also, if a power has an ongoing effect, he can place the same color glass bead next to the target (creating an easy reference/reminder of the effect). This size increase has a secondary advantage of giving more room to write out the description. For "action type", I suggest you use a radio button, as you cleverly did for "At-will / Encounter / Daily". Last suggestion for powers: create a boxed section on the right-hand side for Damage (including space to write "type" of damage, if needed).
Good Stuff. We'll see!

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
neceros said:
I'm not sure about putting powers on the front side. While I agree that they are extremely important, I want to more emphasis on the character, not what the character does. Thus, I doubt I will ever take the description bit off the main page. Perhaps I will make a separate sheet for the more gamer types. :)

Right on. I think doing two versions (at least!) is a good idea. Different players have different needs; I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect one-size-fits-all sheet. :)

More to the point: the powers are so versatile and enormous I'm not sure how much room they will take up. I'm afraid that powers will consume the sheet as characters will require so many. It's more than possible to put a few on the first page: no issue there. Take away some of the Feats section and move up the weapons and stick them under. Perhaps 5.

I think you can use the character sheets from D&D Experience as a guideline, for both # of powers to include as well as getting an idea of how much space each power will need. Allowing for two lines of information per power is a good idea. At a minimum, I think the two "at-will" powers of each character need to be on the front page. Perhaps under the basic melee and basic ranged entries.

Thank you all for comments. I'll continue putting in the time if you keep up the input.

Please do!

Isar

First Post
What about Platinum Pieces?

Great sheet BTW. You forgot platinum pieces in the treasure section..... Other than that, I really like it!!!

neceros

Adventurer
I'm not sure pp are being used any more. Apparently they are using Astral Diamonds, which are worth way more than platinum.

We'll see. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads