• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Class Survivor - Round 2

Which 4E class do you want to vote off the list?

• Avenger

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Bard

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Cleric

• Druid

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Fighter

• Invoker

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Paladin

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Ranger

• Rogue

• Shaman

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Swordmage

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Warden

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Warlock

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Warlord

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Wizard

• Poll closed .

Wepwawet

Explorer
Warlord again, and I'll keep voting it until it goes away.

It's an unfortunate name, it's military, heals with an order ("Stop bleeding!") and because it's a military officer.

I'm happy to see it's taking the lead :)

Jack99

Adventurer
Die swordmage, because you were supposed to be a defender/striker, not a defender/controller - ie you do not feel right.

Wik

First Post
@Wik so not only are you an outcast of the world at large (cos you play DnD) you are even an outcast within DnD (cos you play the wrong classes!) ;)

Yeah, pretty much. And it's always been this way.

BECMI: I was the guy that played the halfling.
2e: I had a gnomish fighter, a halfling fighter, and a half-elven enchanter/druid.
3e: Spellthieves, Wu Jen, and Dragon Shamans.
4e: Swordmages and Shamans.

Wik

First Post
Die swordmage, because you were supposed to be a defender/striker, not a defender/controller - ie you do not feel right.

Wait, what?

The swordmage, supposed to combine the wizard (controller) and the fighter (defender), was supposed to be a defender/striker, and not an, um, defender/controller?

I think there's a lot of room for what you can do with a swordmage. About my only complaint is the focus on using blades.

Jack99

Adventurer
Yeah, pretty much. And it's always been this way.

BECMI: I was the guy that played the halfling.
2e: I had a gnomish fighter, a halfling fighter, and a half-elven enchanter/druid.
3e: Spellthieves, Wu Jen, and Dragon Shamans.
4e: Swordmages and Shamans.
You are definitely weird...

Wait, what?

The swordmage, supposed to combine the wizard (controller) and the fighter (defender), was supposed to be a defender/striker, and not an, um, defender/controller?

I think there's a lot of room for what you can do with a swordmage. About my only complaint is the focus on using blades.
I guess I could have specified that the part you quoted was my vision of the swordmage, and thus the very defensively orientated swordmage leaves a bit to desire.

Wik

First Post
You are definitely weird...

Yeah. I'm beginning to realize that. :)

I guess I could have specified that the part you quoted was my vision of the swordmage, and thus the very defensively orientated swordmage leaves a bit to desire.

Ah, I see then. Fair enough.

Personally, I like the swordmage, especially all their elemental keyword attacks - makes it very easy to specialize in a single element, and utilize feats to increase attacks and damage with that element keyword. I think, with the right feat choices, you could make a swordmage that was primarily a defender, but that was also able to be a striker and a controller in equal parts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads