4E Class Survivor - Round 8

Which 4E class do you want to vote off the list?

• Poll closed .

Destil

Explorer
I don't think the invoker hate is anti-divine. I think the invoker just really comes off as the ultimate extension of Power Source + Roll, with no more flavor built in.

This may be part of the overall shallowness of controller design, as controllers don't really have a central unifying mechanic. All defenders mark, all leaders have their healing word variant, all strikers get extra damage (albeit indirectly with the avenger), all controllers...

In general they're flexible, and have some minor boosts (the wizard's implement mastery and spellbook, the druids 2nd form and extra at will, the invokers covenant), but there's nothing to unify them, and thus the tend to be looked at more as a big list of powers. Which puts a much higher burden on their powers to define the class and be cool. And it sounds like for most people the invoker comes up short.

Note that I don't necessarily agree with this, I rather like the class and think the covenants and powers offer some good mechanical hooks. But I think it's the source of the invoker hate.

lutecius

Explorer
Didn't vote but i'm glad the warlord was among the first to go :D

To me it embodies everything that's wrong with this edition, mechanically and flavour-wise.

I'm sure it was voted off because it's underpowered or some other reason but that's fine. it's poetic justice!

FireLance

Legend
The Invoker has sadly now left us. This hurts me deeply, you know. Like many religious characters, I found him to be inspirational and yet humble and self-sacrificing. He certainly did not seem to mind that I was able to target as many enemies as he could and still bring them down faster than him. Since he's only been with us for a short time, it is sad to see him go. Even so, we are left with a good mix of newer chaps and older folks, like me, who are still hanging around.

Remove ads