D&D 4E 4e clones...

pemerton

Legend
It's a long thread, and so I only read the first and last pages. But there seem to be proposed changes to the XP-by-level rules for creatures/NPCs, and to the skill challenge rules.

I would like a 4e clone that is comparable to the SRD for 3E - just a straight-down-the-line version of the rules as published.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It's a long thread, and so I only read the first and last pages. But there seem to be proposed changes to the XP-by-level rules for creatures/NPCs, and to the skill challenge rules.

I would like a 4e clone that is comparable to the SRD for 3E - just a straight-down-the-line version of the rules as published.

It does look like there is some fluctuating around, I too am thinking the less of that the better. (leave improving or adjusting to those writing descendant games)

MoutonRustique

Explorer
There is something closer to an SRD about 3/5(?) of the way into the thread - but yeah, as it is wont to do, his focus shifted.

With 4e, it's kind of a thing... ;)

I've studied it and commented in their thread, been a minor part of the discussion. It has evolved into basically a 'core system' approach where the rules being written aren't really a complete game, but more of a 4e-compatible platform. So, for example, it doesn't include classes or specific powers. You could simply use 4e ones, with a few terminology adjustments, or make up new ones for other genre, etc.

The changes in the XP rules are a recent development centered around an attempt to make the game a bit more flexible, as I see it anyway. Its a well-thought-out effort, though I have found that my own goals diverge enough from theirs that I wouldn't use the work directly. Still, its a nice effort, though I'm not 100% sure what the ultimate compelling reason for using it would be.

Zardnaar

Legend
One option you could look at is steal the pathfinder 2 engine and plug in 4E type classes. It has NADs in all but name for example, and you could plug in 4E type numbers. It even has at will action granting..

It's proably bogged down for the same reasons cloning anything WotC related. Page count 4E core is 900 odd pages and how much extra do you want on top of that?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The "actual faithful" part of that thread departed a long time ago, just as I warned the creator it would. Their product will still probably be the closest thing to 4e anyone has cooked up, but it has drifted much more than I'm comfortable calling "actual faithful" anymore.

Edit: it seems I have gravely misunderstood. The last time I read things from that thread, it sounded...pretty dramatically different. Inventing new keywords, altering damage rules. Either things have radically changed, or I radically misunderstood the conversation over an extended period. I'm leaning toward the latter, as concerning to me as it is...

Last edited:

The "actual faithful" part of that thread departed a long time ago, just as I warned the creator it would. Their product will still probably be the closest thing to 4e anyone has cooked up, but it has drifted much more than I'm comfortable calling "actual faithful" anymore.

Edit: it seems I have gravely misunderstood. The last time I read things from that thread, it sounded...pretty dramatically different. Inventing new keywords, altering damage rules. Either things have radically changed, or I radically misunderstood the conversation over an extended period. I'm leaning toward the latter, as concerning to me as it is...

Eh, my understanding is that many terms have been altered, but their usage is consistent with, and reflects 4e usage. There are some alterations in the way the grid and some of the things that happen on it are explained (IE how ranges and areas and some of the details of attack process) but the actual effective result of what is there is virtually identical to what is in 4e. I would expect that if you are a serious rules lawyer the differences would be on the order of differences between the RC and PHB1. That is, some interpretations and rulings ARE substantively different, but its pretty much edge-case kind of stuff and for those who play in a bit less pedantic RAW-splitting mode there are probably no serious differences.

Now, there is definitely some difference in terms of the logistics of encounter building, and the details of XP and thus probably the size of treasures (though I suppose that really could stay the same). Again though, I think the idea is that an encounter drawn up using PHB1 and one drawn up using this system would be substantively similar (one might be an at-level vs the other being a level + 2 or something like that, with the new system hopefully providing a bit more accurate description of challenges at the higher tiers, which 4e's XP budgets were not entirely good for).

So, its not a 100% dead on perfect clone of 4e. However, you should be able to drop 4e powers and classes into it and use them, with no more than altering the terminology and maybe tweaking an effect here or there to make it work right. 4e monsters should drop in, maybe with some changes to their hit points, etc.

However, it will not come with classes and whatnot. Its much like the RC, a description of the mechanical aspects of an FRPG, not a completely fleshed out game.

Remove ads