D&D 4E 4e Descendants Online - Let's compile them

Oh, yeah, that would probably be a good idea... I will generate an updated PDF and get it out there. Been kinda distracted the last few weeks with house buying fun.

That small thing is bigger for me than it might seem.

Meh, that one doesn't get me going. I like Bloodied better that Staggered, because I like the implication that "now you're hurting a bit" whereas staggered always just sounds like something you shake off, not really a big deal. I could see calling it 'wounded' or something, but bloodied certainly seems to be the most effective term.

This is one of the things I've found about 4e. Its terminology and the way it parses up a lot of things, like roles, power sources, and even its choice of what is a class, are often quite hard to improve on much. In fact I've tweaked conditions and whatnot a bit in HoML, but very few of those kinds of changes are clearly improvements.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Meh, that one doesn't get me going. I like Bloodied better that Staggered, because I like the implication that "now you're hurting a bit" whereas staggered always just sounds like something you shake off, not really a big deal. I could see calling it 'wounded' or something, but bloodied certainly seems to be the most effective term.

This is one of the things I've found about 4e. Its terminology and the way it parses up a lot of things, like roles, power sources, and even its choice of what is a class, are often quite hard to improve on much. In fact I've tweaked conditions and whatnot a bit in HoML, but very few of those kinds of changes are clearly improvements.

I do prefer the term bloodied but honestly why I consider it significant is having the status and having things trigger off of it generally are what is important mechanically I would say it is part of the 4e pacing system I think which should have been made more intense, But zee flavor mon she is mahn to lever as I wilt.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Strike - included a better link to the games own page ... and moved it up the list because it did some things that really feel a growth on the 4e paradigm

Looks to be an OGL structure to enable legal very close to 4e games it isnt finished but has active ongoing development

It seems to, increasingly, be a framework which purports to adhere to OGL and provides the structure under which games LIKE 4e could be built using its rule structures. A D&D made with Forerunner would presumably be very close to 4e, and able to use 4e material effectively. Of course you could also build games based on it that are less like 4e.

It is not, in and of itself, a playable game, though there is material available from the author and other participants, certainly when combined with existing 4e material, which would most likely be playable. I expect you'd have to be willing to adhere a bit more to the spirit of the rules than the letter, as a lot of terms and specific processes have been defined in somewhat different ways. I'd bet that a lot of highly RAW-dependent rulings and such would not automatically be applicable in the new system.

Still, it is vastly closer to 4e than HoML is, though both of them are pretty '4e-esque' in their structure.

Remove ads