D&D 4E 4E Essentials: Dungeon Masters's Kit in Hand

korton01

First Post
So in the tradition that has been posted before our local game store has a copy of the Dungeon Master's Kit for the Essentials Line.

I will field questions about the box set in this thread, but I will give you a quick run down of the contents of the Box itself.

Dungeon Master's Book 6x9 Digest Format, 271 pgs with Index
DM Screen, more flimsy Card Stock with new Info Layout, yet old art of Original 4E Screen
1 Adventure Splint into 2 parts, Set in Harkenwold of Nentir Vale
Reavers of Harkenwold by Rich Baker
Part One: The Iron Circle
Part Two: The Die is Cast
3 Token Sheets, 2 support the aforementioned adventure, and one is a Player Character Sheet of tokens.
Two Double Sided Poster Maps that supports the Reavers of Harkenwold.

Thats the Kit in a nutshell at a Price Tag of $39.95, I have to admit its a pretty decent deal. Much of the Book seems to cover alot of rules that the Rules Compendium does but if your a new DM you can pick up the kit and not have to buy the Compendium, the 2nd half of the book goes into running a game. Building Adventures, Quests, a decent look at Encounter Building and Skill Challenges, and bringing it all together and turning it into a Campaign. Also a very small section on Magic Items ranging from Common to Rare.

Compared the the DMG 1 and say Keep on the Shadowfell, you get a much better purchase with the DM's Kit.

korton01

First Post
Bullywugs, Stirges, Ants, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Drakes, Skeletons, big frogs, Rage Drake, Large Spider, 2 Horses, 2 10 x 10 spiked pit traps, Bunch of Guard types, and individual NPCs

All the tokens support the Adventure.

Truename

First Post
I'm interested in the bundled adventure. WotC previously described it as (paraphrased) "not a beginner's adventure, but one that showcases the best a DM can do--something that you can come back to over and over and learn new things each time."

I love the idea, but WotC's adventure track record isn't that great. What's your take on the adventure? Is it stellar, mediocre, abysmal? Would it be worth picking up the kit just for the adventure, tokens, and maps?

korton01

First Post
Thus far what I have read its a pretty cool so far. Some good ideas, it does have that feel that harkens back to the days of good adventures. Until I can do a full read through I can't make any real comments.

As to Rituals, nope, Pantheons, standard one from original PHB, there is a section on helpful NPCs and Allies.

Mengu

First Post
I'm interested in the Encounter Building section. Anything different than previous DMG's about XP budgets, levels of encounters, design do's and don'ts?

Phreddkroe

First Post
Many people are very interested in treasure distribution. In particular, are there any methods or advice given besides the new default random parcel system found in the Rules Compendium? Does it mention anything about the parcel system from DMG1? Pretty much any info you can give on those subjects, crafting, rare and uncommon items/rules, etc. I'm trying to not be greedy, so I won't ask you any more questions after this tall order. :) Thanks for making this thread!

Remove ads