D&D 4E 4E Essentials: Dungeon Masters's Kit in Hand

Please give som examples of rare magic items, both specific names and abilities. Do you think players will react with an "oh, a rare magic item, AWESOME" when they receive such items (based on power-level), or will they more likely go "meh". Are they special, beyond the slapped-on rare label?

korton01

First Post
Sorry all was away from my computer most the weekend.

So lets get back into answering questions.

Magic Items...

Rare Items Listed in the Book

Mantle of the Seven Winds Level 23 +
Holy Avenger Level 25 +
Vorpal Weapon Level 30
Staff of the Magi Levle 15 +
Gauntlets of Ogre Power Level 5
Ioun Stone of True Sight Leve 28
Cloak of Invisibility Level 23 +
Ring of Freedom of Movement Level 15
Ring of Invisibility Level 18
Ring of Protection Level 17
Ring of Regeneration Level 24
Flying Carpet Level 20

The Rules on Magic Items are pretty straight forward.

Common items are things that can be purchased in shops and but they say its rare to find a shop that sells items.

Uncommon items and rare items were generally not created in the current age. Uncommon will be the good things players may find, but rare items should only be given out from the DM.

There are no "rules" on player made magic items in the book. But they do recommend that a DM use the quest rules to allow a player to make something if the desire. But a adventure the surrounds the quest to find an item could be fun.

korton01

First Post
So specifics about magic items, from everything I have read there is no longer a restriction on the usage of daily powers on items. So you don't have to wait for milestones to use powers on items. If you got em...you can use them.

So I noted that Gauntlets of Ogre Power have changed. They are much better in my opinion

Its power now states "Power (Daily): Minor Action. You gain a +2 power bonus to melee damage rolls until the end of the encounter."

Let me do some more comparisons and I will list if any of the other rare items got upgrades.

Zaran

Adventurer
Bullywugs, Stirges, Ants, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Drakes, Skeletons, big frogs, Rage Drake, Large Spider, 2 Horses, 2 10 x 10 spiked pit traps, Bunch of Guard types, and individual NPCs

All the tokens support the Adventure.

I see that there are hobgoblins. Are they soldiers? How do they compare to the MM hobgoblins? I always thought having a 22 AC when next to ally was a bit overpowered for the level.

Remove ads