D&D 4E 4E Exotic Weapons?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Bastard Sword (katana) is mentioned in the Dragonborn write-up in R&C so that is at least 1 exotic that will make the jump. Whether it will be exotic anymore remains to be seen.

I liked the Dwarven Urgosh. Conceptually, the weapon makes sense and does not lend itself to self mutilation while wielding it.

I hope the exotic weapon will be a relic of 3E. The majority of them were a bit silly and the monk weapons were misplaced. How is a nunchuk that much more difficult to wield than a light flail? Kama vs Sickle? C'mon.

pawsplay

Hero
grimslade said:
I liked the Dwarven Urgosh. Conceptually, the weapon makes sense and does not lend itself to self mutilation while wielding it.

Really? I think it is perhaps the most improbable. How would you get both ends in play at the same time? How do you avoid stabbing yourself in the foot?

EDIT: The two-bladed sword is plausible, if not particularly effective. It would be like a quarterstaff you had to be extra careful with.

Bastard swords... are not exotic.

Dwarven waraxes are just big battle axes, and hence, neither feat worthy nor sensible. If a axe could be made heavier and still be wielded sensibly, it would be.

Spiked chains... a completely stupid weapon seemingly included just so they could avoid including a lot of similar real life weapons that are quite effective.

Hooked hammer... inertia would render this thing useless.

Dire flails.... third most stupid weapon ever.

Double scimitars... dumbest double weapon ever. Absolutely useless. It does not get the number one spot, because it might be mildly difficult to injure yourself with it.

Aloïsius

First Post
pawsplay said:
Dire flails.... third most stupid weapon ever.

IMHO, this should be the N°1. The spiked chain can be viewed as some strange variant of some chain-based asiatic weapons.
But the dire flail ? There is no way to use this.
The double-axe would be a close second, however.

Firevalkyrie

First Post
The knight's arming sword, the pattern for the D&D longsword, had both one-handed and two-handed techniques. Does that make the longsword an "exotic weapon" then?

Felnar

First Post
thanks for the info grimslade

to most everyone else; opinions of the merits of 3E's exotic weapons was not the intent of this thread ((sorry if that comes across meanly :\ ))

Remove ads