D&D 4E 4e monster formatting tool

MarkAHart

Explorer
Not sure if this will prove beneficial or useful to anyone, but we shall see...

I have created a tool to take user-entered monster data and format it into the monster stat block style. I have found this saves me time, as I like having the standardized stat blocks for when I DM.

There are two Word templates: one is for "simple" monsters -- monsters without aura, action points, immunities/vulnerabilities, etc. The second template is for more complex monsters.

Both templates are linked to an Excel sheet. The user enters monster data. To demonstrate, I have included data for a homebrewed monster just to show how it works.

A "merge" churns out a formatted stat block in 4e style as a separate Word doc.

The styles aren't perfect; once a stat block has been generated, it might need a slight amount of clean-up.

I have attached a PDF that shows sample output from the tool.

For the attack type (i.e., melee, ranged, close, etc.), you will have to enter it by hand. I pasted in the attack icons on the sample PDF; you can do this however works best.

The color scheme is not exact, but semi-close (in the ballpark, perhaps).

Comments, suggestions, questions welcome.

Attachments

• Monster Template Complex.doc
    83 KB · Views: 813
  • Monster Template Simple.doc
    77.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Mage SO.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 698
  • Monster Data List.xls
    19 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:

MarkAHart

Explorer
Just realized the Excel data sheet contains an error in the calculating fields for Ability bonuses...I forgot to add in 1/2 the monster's level to the total bonus. I hope to upload a corrected version a bit later...

MarkAHart

Explorer
It looks great but how do i get excel to output it into the template?

First, a note: I use Mac MS Word 2004; the specifics might vary for XP or other versions...

After you've entered monster data into the Excel data sheet (one row per monster):

Open the MS Word document you want to use (either the simple monster version, or the complex version).

Turn on Word's "data merge manager."
Within the data merge manager, go to "Get Data" and select "open data source" -- select the Excel data sheet file. (Basically, you want Word to look to the Excel sheet to fill the data fields.)

Under "Merge," select "merge to new document." This creates a new Word document with a formatted stat block for each row of monster data you entered in Excel.

I apologize if this doesn't make sense; every version of Word seems just different enough to make things confusing. Hopefully, this helps.

Remove ads