D&D 4E 4e Monster List - Dwarven Nosepicker & Elven Butt Scratcher

Primal

First Post
Keenath said:
Maybe somebody could help me out here -- what elements of 4e seem to be leaning 'narrativist'? I don't see it.

Narrativist rules would be rules that allow you to break the other rules of the system because you think it would be dramatically appropriate to do so, such as rules for how the GM can give out certain bonuses to players who RP well or who are attempting a "dramatic action" and how such bonuses are spent.

What rules are there in 4e that seem to be doing that rather than simply balancing the game among different characters so that nobody gets left out?

The new skill system is very similar to how skills work in Dust Devil or how the Keys work in the Shadow of Yesterday. I think it will encourage narrativist play and character immersion through gamist methods (i.e. the "lure" of reward). You're correct, though, that D&D won't ever actually be a nar system, because you'd have to redesign the game mechanics to emphasize and encourage nar playing style. In D&D, it's always about the protagonists overcoming their obstacles, while in a nar system it wouldn't even matter very much if the protagonist dies -- the exploration of the theme and story are far more important (often a protagonist's death will result in a better story).

Thematically, D&D is, indeed, becoming more "in tune" with the mechanics (and vice versa), but I don't necessarily see that as a good thing.

Remove ads