D&D 4E 4e needs a Definitive Guide

OnlineDM

Adventurer
As a big fan of 4e who played a LOT for two and a half years (2010 - 2012), my recommendations for the "on ramp" is pretty simple: Buy the Essentials books. Specifically:
  • Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms
  • Heroes of the Fallen Lands
  • Rules Compendium
  • Monster Vault
  • I suppose the Dungeon Master's Kit, though this one is the least necessary

Don't bother with the other five Essentials products (Starter Set, dice, three Dungeon Tile sets). Don't bother with the older books (PHB 1-3, Monster Manual 1-3, DMG 1-3, splat books). Don't bother with the later books (Feywild, Shadow, Elemental). This is all the on-ramp you need.

Don't get me wrong; I love the original classes and races, and I love some of the later options from books like Heroes of the Feywild and such. But they're not the "definitive" books in my opinion. If you try these 4-5 definitive books and love the game and want more options, then absolutely pick up the other stuff, get a DDI subscription, etc. I just wouldn't recommend anyone start there.

Jhaelen

First Post
Don't bother with the older books (PHB 1-3, Monster Manual 1-3, DMG 1-3, splat books).
Uh, wait. DMG3?! That book was absolutely awesome! It was of such awesomeness it sold out before it was even published (or something like that, since I've never seen it anywhere...).

P.S.: I thought the wilderness tiles were pretty good. Definitely the most useful tiles ever published.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Uh, wait. DMG3?! That book was absolutely awesome! It was of such awesomeness it sold out before it was even published (or something like that, since I've never seen it anywhere...).

P.S.: I thought the wilderness tiles were pretty good. Definitely the most useful tiles ever published.

I'm sorry, that was a typo. I meant DMG 1-2.

Jer

Legend
Supporter

Can I take a moment to lament the fact that we never actually got a DMG3? Or at least a "big book o' Epic stuff for DMs", which is what I was hoping the DMG3 would be?

Not so much for balance but for sanity, I'd love for someone with high system mastery and play experience to come up with a shorter list of feats that could be used as a guide for newer players.

I'm not sure I'd limit choices to the list but would love to have it.

Say, here are 50 (75?) feats out of hundreds that provide a short list of feats that:

1) are the best of the feats that duplicate similar things
2) provide a nice menu of different types of abilities

The list could be used as a limiter for everyone (only feats on the list are allowed) or could just be used for newer players to prevent being overwhelmed (you can pick off this list if you want, these are generally the 'best' feats).

I would really honestly say use the ones that are provided in Essentials. Its a very concise list of feats without a lot of silly stuff that doesn't work. They have some flavor and can assist in character build, but they are not as 'interesting' as some of the core 4e feats. There ARE others I would say are perfectly fine and probably should be in a player's repertoire as well, but those are a good start, and I think they total up at somewhere in the 40's. Of course you are leaving most all the racial feats on the cutting room floor, but...

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Can I take a moment to lament the fact that we never actually got a DMG3? Or at least a "big book o' Epic stuff for DMs", which is what I was hoping the DMG3 would be?

Yep, that was kind of what I wanted to say: If they had published it, it would surely have been awesome :(

On a positive note, we still have Chris Perkins's excellent DM Experience articles which are chock-full of excellent advice including the Epic Tier.

(I re-read them last week in two sittings. They really are good.)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I don't recall... but I believe the Builder currently does NOT have a means to filter out information by Source material, but does offer the ability to sort(?) by Source material.

It would be hugely beneficial if someone were to add this feature; this would solve a lot of issues for new players who don't want to wade through several hundred feats that are either redundant or repetitious.

I found Essentials class work better than most of the Classic classes, though I feel there will always be room for all of the various Leader classes.

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't recall... but I believe the Builder currently does NOT have a means to filter out information by Source material, but does offer the ability to sort(?) by Source material.
That feature was available in the old, offline builder, but, alas, not in the new. Our group would absolutely love that feature!

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's probably been said, but if you have the tools, all you really /need/ is the Essentials Rule Compendium. It's got all the rules, and the tools have all the details. You're missing a little fluff and cosmology, but nothing you can't have a great game without.

So as long as the tools are available there's that option.

Remove ads