D&D 4E 4e Pokemon Tabletop RPG

Cloneoftheghost

First Post
Don't be cruel

This is some of what I have ....

1.2. Human Characters
Human beings in the world of Pokémon serve many roles. Some are talented Coordinators that take their Pokémon into contests to show off their skills, while some are Traniers who raise their Pokémon to participate in Pokémon battles. Some turn out to be Pokémon Breeders, people who excel at raising Pokémon, even from an egg! In fact, these are the three classes available to play:
Pokémon Coordinators raise Pokémon to compete on contests. Their methods of raising Pokémon are much like Pokémon trainers except that they put more emphasis on beauty and appearance since they are major factors in a contest. They need to train their Pokémon to have more beautiful moves and be able to do well in battle, as a battle tournament is the second round of a contest. Unlike trainers though, coordinators travel the regions trying to win different ribbons. Pokémon coordinators have to think quickly when in a contest or trying to mix things up when it comes to their Pokémon strategies, they begin the game with an additional point in their Wits stat. Since Pokemon Coordinators are well rounded, usually well skilled and physically gifted, they have an extra 5 points to spend in their stats and skills. Important skills for a coordinator are Lore, Perform, Craft, and Tactics.
Coordianted Growth - Pokemon Coordinators are really good at bringing out the best in their Pokemon. For every level gained, they recieve a + 1 to their Pokemon's appeal and perform.

Pokémon Trainers leave home at the age of 10, sometimes accompanied by a starter Pokémon from a Pokémon professor, their local gym, or their family member. Many trainers travel the regions gathering information for a Pokédex, perfecting their techniques, collecting badges and working to become Pokémon masters. Pokémon trainers are most common in every region and can vary greatly in their goals. Because of the incredible bravery and toughness it takes to be a trainer, they begin the game with an additional point to their Guts stat. Pokemon Trainers have a tendency to be the more physical type. Hiking and Treking throughout the land. Because of this they recieve an extra 10 points to spend in their stats. The two most important skills for a trainer are Lore and Tactics.
No Guts, no Glory - Pokemon Trainers show exceptional Guts and determination. For every level gained, they receive a + 1 bonus to all Guts checks.

Pokémon Breeders typically concern themselves with raising Pokémon for health and happiness, rather than Pokémon battles or contests. Some of the key aspects to being a breeder include: monitoring, taking care of, and hatching Pokémon eggs; Pokémon grooming, and Pokémon nutrition. Pokémon breeders usually communicate very well with Pokémon as well as other people. As such, they gain an additional point to their Charisma stat during creation. Pokemon Breeders focus on learning all they can to be able to raise a Pokemon to the best of their abilities. Breeders have an extra 10 points to spend in their skills. Important skills for a breeder are Handle, Lore, First Aid, and Craft.
TLC - Pokemon Breeders know how to nurture a Pokemon and keep them happy. Breeders also get along well with most Pokemon, Pokemon Breeders receive a + 1 bonus to their Handle checks per level.

Once you have an idea of the character and their story to this point, the next thing to do is create a character sheet:

Name: __________________________________ Skill Lvl. ____
Class: _______________ Lvl.______ XP: ___________________
Height: _____ Weight: _____ Age: _____ Gender: _____ : _____

Strength: _____ Knowledge: _____ Charisma: _____
Dexterity: _____ Wits : _____ Guts: _____
Stamina : _____ Perception: _____ Appeal: _____

SKILLS

Athletics: _____ Handle: _____
Awareness: _____ Lore: _____
Concentration: _____ Resistance: _____
Endurance: _____

On the example sheet provided, there are only seven skills. These are the most basic skills each one of them receives an additional point during creation. The entire list of skills is : acrobatics, athletics, awareness, brawl, concentration, craft, dodge, drive, endurance, electronics, first aid, handle, intimidation, investigation, leadership, lore, martial arts, mechanics, melee, might, navigation, perform, pilot, resistance, ride, science, stealth, and tactics. Human beings and Pokémon share most the same qualities and have similar characters sheets. Pokémon however cannot use the skills; drive, electronics, mechanics, pilot and science but instead have the skill flight.
1.3. The Numbers
Once you choose your skills, you are given a certain number of points to divide into your stats and skills respectively. Generally this amount should not exceed 24 points for stats and 27 for skills, because human average is 3 and maximum is 10. Only 18 points are given for the stats and 20 for the skills for children. Once the player has filled in these numbers they are done and their character is ready for adventure in the world of Pokémon !

That's just for trainer creation, assuming players are just beginning their Pokemon journey. Items are given in game. I'm keeping it simple but this is much more elaborate than when I started. I tried it d20 but I didn't like how it was going.

Camelot

Adventurer
I've been trying to narrow down Pokemon into fewer classes, though it's very complex. Certain Pokemon have the same roles but I don't see how they could be the same class, I still am unsure of what to do with Pokemon with multiple types, and it seems like it would just be easier to make each evolution chain a class, even though that would result in hundreds of classes. That being said, I have attached the document of the progress I have made thus far with separating Pokemon into type and role, both primary and secondary. I've only gotten through the beginning of generation III, so there's still a bit of a ways to go.

Personally, I'd be fine with there being hundreds of classes with more and more added on. I would have and am having much fun designing them all, and appreciate any help I can get of course. I'm looking at this from a DM perspective (which is all I know), so as a player, what would you think of there being hundreds of 4e classes? Would that be a good thing, opening up many options, or would it be too complicated?

Thanks for the ideas so far, and kudos to Real Sorcerer and Clone of the Ghost on their individual versions of Pokemon tabletop! They both look like great ideas, though vastly different from mine. I'm sticking with 4e, because Pokemon has always been mostly about the battling, and 4e has excellent combat, so in my opinion it fits better than 3e or other versions. But I digress.

Attachments

• Fewer Classes.doc
    41 KB · Views: 160

Camelot

Adventurer
And instead of just posting snippets, I might as well post the entire document of what I have so far. So here's version 0.1 of the Battles & Badges Trainer's Handbook. Yes, I'm calling it Battles & Badges. It makes sense. Stop looking at me like that. =)

Attachments

• Trainer's Handbook.doc
    80 KB · Views: 113

Real Sorceror

First Post
And instead of just posting snippets, I might as well post the entire document of what I have so far. So here's version 0.1 of the Battles & Badges Trainer's Handbook. Yes, I'm calling it Battles & Badges. It makes sense. Stop looking at me like that. =)
I gotta say dude (and I'm being serious), I am very impressed. This came a long way from the net of ideas you had at the start of the thread.
I said on my site that I have the most complete and playable Pokemon d20 system, but it looks like I'll have to eat those words, as there is now competition. ;)
Battles & Badges is a good name, IMO. I was originally calling mine Pockets & Monsters.

Heres my own unfinished Beta: http://pokemondtwenty.wikidot.com/local--files/start/Core%20Rules%20Beta.pdf
As Camelot said, mine's only about 65% 4e, with the rest being homebrew material.

As for Pokemon with two types, there are a few options.
1) Have their primary type be their main class and the secondary be a multiclass
2) Give them access to the movepools of both types (may be OP).
3)Create a separate class for each type and each type combo

If you go with the third option, its probably just better to make each mon a different class. Personally (in this instance) I wouldn't be daunted, as a player, by hundreds of different options. The classes aren't generic like Rogue or Cleric. Playing a Pokemon "class" under your rules is more like playing a specific monster with very complicated racial abilities that advance as you level. Like the old 3.5 dragons. Its a monster, but you sort of got class features.

One idea I'd suggest is that wild Pokemon don't gain feats, just like a 4e monster. But, once you catch them, they can start gaining feats normally. This isn't retroactive, so you want to start with low level Pokemon. This kinda reflects the video-game, where a Pokemon you raises was always stronger than a wild one of the same level.

PS. I added your thread to my links page: http://pokemondtwenty.wikidot.com/links
Hopefully that will give you a little more traffic and lead to more people interested in the project.

Last edited:

Camelot

Adventurer
Thank you very much, and same to you! I don't see of it as competition, just different ideas. Like when 4e came out, some people decided to play that instead and some decided to stick with 3e. People can choose which system they like better. But really, thanks!

I had an idea to compromise between giving each Pokemon a class and lowering the class numbers! Maybe there are 17 classes for the types, and they have a whole lot of features and powers. When you pick a Pokemon, the unique Pokemon you pick gains access to a certain number of features and powers. The other ones it can't pick. It also gains access to certain feats, including specific multiclass feats. Few Pokemon will have much multiclass options, but there can be exceptions. Maybe Ditto is like the bard in that it can multiclass in whatever it wants.

As to feats, I like that idea. But like Pokemon, they can eventually equal out. When you catch a Pokemon it loses its level bonus (DMG 187) and doesn't have any feats. However, as it levels up, you can not only choose feats but retrain blank slots to add in feats, so that it eventually is equal to your other Pokemon. And if it reaches 30th level and still hasn't all its feats filled, you can continue the progress, maybe still keeping track of additional XP and at every certain point gaining another feat.

Thanks for the ideas, the sources of inspiration, the support, and the traffic! =D

PS: I too would like to start a forum playtest of this when it's ready. However, I've had problems with 4e PbP before, and don't want the playtest to slip down the drain. Any suggestions as to how to keep the game fast-paced, or where I can find a forum that is more for PbP than EN World is?

Last edited:

Camelot

Adventurer
Alright, I've been doing some work today and I have edited and added a bit to the Trainer's Handbook. I also made a convenient document that specifies what changes I made in case you want to know. I'm pretty sure I wrote everything down, but if I missed something, no biggie, I'm sure.

Attachments

• TH Updates.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Trainer's Handbook.doc
    99.5 KB · Views: 142

Camelot

Adventurer
Sorry for the triple post, but I have another update on the Trainer's Handbook! I added in a bunch of powers and most of the Pokemon have their features completed.

Caterpie is giving me some trouble. I can't seem to think of any more good features. I was toying with a Shield Dust idea, but I don't know how it would work or whether it fits the role. Caterpie is a controller (secondary defender). Does anyone have any ideas on features that could hold out from Caterpie to Butterfree? Thanks!

Attachments

• TH Updates.doc
    34 KB · Views: 113
  • Trainer's Handbook.doc
    140.5 KB · Views: 113

Real Sorceror

First Post
Unfortunately I'm just not very familiar with 4e move mechanics, but I can try and brainstorm. Shield Dust blocks most secondary effects of moves. Perhaps some kind of encounter power to block or heal such effects? But that would be kinda similar to Shed Skin, which is Metapod's thing.
If its a Controller, how about an encounter power where the opponent doesn't think Caterpie is a real threat and ignores it, since its so small and crush-able? Maybe a daily power where it makes a temporary cacoon that heals hp/status effects?

Remove ads