• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Power Cards on the cheap

Kesh

First Post
After playing a few sessions of 4e, I really like having all the powers available. However, I've noticed some players having trouble keeping track of what powers they've used, and forget situational bonuses given by other characters.

I've decided to make some really simple power cards:

Basically, green ink for At-Will powers, red for Encounter and black for Dailies. As I started, I realized there were a few more things that would make it easier: Second Wind gets its own card as an Encounter ability, so I remember the +2 to defenses. Power cards that help an ally could be handed to that player until it runs out. channel divinity abilities got a star, so I can easily pull out all of them when I use one.

Anyone else doing something like this? Any other suggestions for how to use cards like this?

(Yes, second wind is a minor here. He's a dwarf. :) )

fba827

Adventurer
Power cards are very handy.

I have second wind with my powers as well. I also have one for using action points (since I always forget about them).

Action Point Use Character Feature
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Effect: Use an action point to gain an extra standard, move, or minor action. Must have an action point to use this ability.

And our DM gives us little tokens (in this case, circular wood chips) to represent action points, handed out as awarded, turned in as used or expired at extended rests).

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
http://www.dnditalia.it/pcg

I really like these as a tool.

I hadn't thought of giving everyone a "Second Wind" card, but I'll get that sorted out for everyone for the next session, too.

I have, however, given the my Cleric player two copies of a "Healing Word" card, so he can drop them back to me as he uses them.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I like the italian link, I'll have to try it out.

I found that describing Second Wind as an encounter power made sense for all my players. I also described Healing Word as an encounter power that the cleric got twice, which also made sense for him.

Cheers

Ginnel

Explorer
My Brother the DM and myself have been following the boards for a while so know a lot more about the system than our other roleplaying friends.

We've made power cards for every class power, every racial power, second wind, on appropiately coloured index cards (courtesy of WHSmiths) which come in a green, a pinky red, a blue, and a yellow.

At wills on green, encounters on the pinky red, dailies on yellow and blue I think we'll put for general use (or maybe ongoing effects sheet for stuff like primeshot and shadowalk).

Second wind has a number of paperclips attached to it to denote healing surges. Action points haven't quite figured this one out yet but may be an At will card with paperclips on. Bloodied everyone has a bloodied marker in front of them saying not bloodied on white card, flip over when bloodied and it is some dreadful attention grabbing illuminous orange colour with Bloodied on it.

Marks and curses are a unique coloured paperclip for individuals. monster bloodied will be getting their illuminous orange counters with a bit of blue tack.

I'm also thinking of having a board/sheet of paper with The characters name on and also the word party and putting a dice/writing a number next to it to indicate an AC/to hit bonus.

thundershot

Adventurer
Tallarn said:

I hadn't thought of giving everyone a "Second Wind" card, but I'll get that sorted out for everyone for the next session, too.

I have, however, given the my Cleric player two copies of a "Healing Word" card, so he can drop them back to me as he uses them.

That is awesome! Thank you!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
thundershot said:
That is awesome! Thank you!

Thank the brilliant italians that created it in the first place. :)

I'm just trying to persuade my players to take notice of it so that I can make sure next gaming session they all have the cards handy for when the fight kicks off.

Kesh

First Post
Tallarn said:

Okay, that tool is awesome. You still have to print them out and cut them, but I can see how useful that would be.

Yeah, I did two healing word cards for my cleric. Makes it a lot easier to track. And I hadn't thought about it, but some Action Point cards would also make sense.

SnakeNuts

Explorer
Tallarn said:
I'm just trying to persuade my players to take notice of it so that I can make sure next gaming session they all have the cards handy for when the fight kicks off.
I've done this for my players for the 1st level, but I'm planning to supply them with the means to do this for the coming levels...

The Italian site is actually the ideal way to do that I just realised :)

Remove ads