D&D 4E 4e SRD

Sage

Explorer
From the enworld front page:
There WILL be a 4th Edition SRD; some publishers will get access to it early, just like with the 3 rollout.
As you might know, I'm the co-creator of the Sovelior/Sage SRD now located at DnDSRD.net

As I want to continue and improve this free online SRD I'm, naturally, wondering how to get access to the SRD early, who to contact, and so on.

I figure this would be the right place to ask.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I would be very surprised if WotC gave a fan with a SRD Web site early access to the new rules.
Edit: the above sounded snarky and I really didn't intend it to. :) Anyhow, it doesn't hurt to ask, but as I said, it would be very surprising (yet very cool of them) if they accomodate you.

Last edited:

Sage

Explorer
I'd be surprised too, but since my site is fairly well known, I'd think it's worth a shot.

Of course I wouldn't release anything untill I'm allowed, but the site is a truckload of work, so I'd be nice with a head start.

Of course, dndinsider.com might make my site obsolete...

Bobitron

Explorer
Sure, for subscribers. I make good use of the online srd's, including yours. It would seem that the Insider content will limit that, but it would be a shame if people not willing to spend the $10 a month for one reason or another lost access to SRD material while you rebuilt the site.

Good luck getting any information. I expect you'll have to wait with the rest of us.

kingpaul

First Post
The thing that I'm curious about is how this new edition will impact the non-WotC character generators. Are we still going to be able to support 4e, or is that going to be only in the hands of WotC and their DI?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Sage said:
Of course I wouldn't release anything untill I'm allowed, but the site is a truckload of work, so I'd be nice with a head start.

Exactly, which is why it would be really cool and good for community goodwill if they did allow you and some of the other "big" fan sites early access.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sage said:
Of course, dndinsider.com might make my site obsolete...
Unless you went nuts, frankly, your site is unlikely to have all the AJAX and other random stuff necessary to run dndinsider in the coming years. Those of us who access the SRD from work or from laptops (or even phones) will always want a streamlined quality site like yours.

Sage

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Unless you went nuts, frankly, your site is unlikely to have all the AJAX and other random stuff necessary to run dndinsider in the coming years. Those of us who access the SRD from work or from laptops (or even phones) will always want a streamlined quality site like yours.

lol, I'd actually been tinkering with making the site a bit more visually attractive, including some javascript and/or pictures for menu and header.
I once considered doing a cell phone/PDA version, but luckily it turns out that the existing one wasn't too bad on said devices :)
Maybe I'll make an actuall mobile version if I spice it up... especially if 4e is to have a "magazine feel" which I'll endeavour to hint at in my design. At least I can make a mobile version where you don't have to scroll past the navigation menu on every page.

but yeah, of course I can't go very far. I'm sure dndinsider will have at least two coulums of stuff screaming "go here!"... kinda like the D&D main site

Sage

Explorer
I occured to me that noone has answered my original question: who should I contact with respects to getting access to the 4e SRD?

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
That's because there is no answer to that question yet. It won't be until January that a 4e SRD is done and ready to be released (possibly), and even then, it would most likely be released to a certain number of people first, with a wider release later on in 2008.

Remove ads