• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Superhero Game?

Doc Aquatic

First Post
It certainly would be, albeit rather hard to get all the powers together to cover the broad swathes of superheroics. I can see it working in two ways
One would be a point-buy-based framework where generic powers are bought, and then add-ons are given to give flavor (Like, say, Spiderman's At-Will Ranged Attack power would be entangling and immobilizing, for an extra cost, while his Movement utility power would be Swinging, which would provide certain benefits and drawbacks to someone, compared to what Flight or Jumping would give as a movement.). Sort of a 4e-ized Mutants and Masterminds, albeit much looser in terms of what powers can do and how they can be customized, since I think 4e has a better toolset for making this balanced than 3e did.

The other would borrow ideas about speccing and class roles from City of Heroes, an MMORPG that started with a system of classes quite a bit like 4e has now, with heroes broken down into Blaster (Ranged striker), Scrapper (Melee striker), Tank (Defender), Controller (Controller, albeit with the AoEs given to Blaster), and Defender (Leader). Within these roles, characters could choose various tracks to show how their powers work, and a scrapper with fast reflexes and a sword would play much differently than one with hand to hand skill and regeneration, while a defender who puts bad effects on enemies through AoE powers, applying auras, and direct attacks is much different than the one who increases how often their allies can act, or one who spends their time healing allies between attacks. This system would be much closer to 4e, but because people tend to have a specific idea about their hero's personal gimmick it'd need a lot of work put into getting a variety of subclasses, or perhaps guidelines for players developing their own as they go, which seems fairly balanced in 4e compared to making a class up as you go in previous generations of the game.

Either way, it'd definitely be a fun system to make and play in, and you've started a few really cool ideas rolling around in my head.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads