• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E: What we think we know

Kae'Yoss

First Post
bloodydrake said:
hmmm so subscription fee is more then Dragon and Dungeon Were but less then MMORPG's are
I'm guessing 12bucks amonth.
nominal fee i'm guessing 2bucks.

This DI sounds like its really gonna add up to hella expensive if its content you can't keep when your subscription runs out. I'm very sceptical of this. I might just keep using Kloogewerks for online play and poach players from the DI movement.

No way I'm shelling out 10 bucks per month for stuff I already bought. If they want to get a piece of the MMORPG cake, fine, but if they do it to D&D, they'll lose me as a customer. And I doubt that they'll win many WoW players that way. Might be that they only drive away customers without getting enough new ones. Would serve them right, too.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Sammael said:
Why does the green dragon in the WAR illustration look absolutely nothing like green dragons from older editions?

Oh, I know. How else would they be able to sell the new minis(TM)? Blech.

Yeah. Add to that the fact that all older figures - except for a "best of" will not get new stats, so you won't be able to use them in their new game.

But then again, they offering people a great opportunity to get out of the game. "The old DDM game is over now. We have a new one lined up, though." I'll think I'll get off the wagon at that stop.

Glyfair

Explorer
Hjorimir said:
Dungeon Master's Guide - Laws
Robin Laws has just been too busy designing games to be a primary designer of 4th edition. He's working on a Heroquest update that's more generic, been working on GUMSHOE, put together the 40 years of GenCon book, revised Og and written fiction for three other RPG titles.

There is no way he had the time. In fact, he has posted his GenCon schedule and it's not listed. He'll have to rush from his 40 years of GenCon panel to be at the announcement.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Kae'Yoss said:
No way I'm shelling out 10 bucks per month for stuff I already bought. If they want to get a piece of the MMORPG cake, fine, but if they do it to D&D, they'll lose me as a customer. And I doubt that they'll win many WoW players that way. Might be that they only drive away customers without getting enough new ones. Would serve them right, too.

They aren't charging you for stuff you bought they're charging you to help use the stuff you bought. All publications have stuff that doesn't make it into the book because of space or time or budget. Now you have a chance to see more of that if you pay the cash for it.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Eldragon said:
While WotC will try to turn a profit, they are not going to go out of their way to extort money from their customers through excessive monthly charges. There are other successful RPG companies out there. If WotC were to extort money out of thier customer base, people will just move on to something else.

They might think that their position as the creator of "The most popular RPG" will give them enough leverage to export money from others.

I have no doubt that they wouldn't abandon the idea (of charging a monthly fee and cutting your access for older stuff off when you stop paying) out of altruistic reasons, either: They already showed us that they prefer to deal with the competition by putting rocks in their way, and they showed us that they won't hesitate to lie to the customers. You can't expect someone like that to be nice to you unless he gains a lot from it.

moderadorsud20

First Post
Rules Compendium???

Hasn't anyone noticed that a Rules Compendium for 3.5D&D has been announced for October in spite of the 4th being launched four months later? What is the sense for this?

Sammael

Adventurer
moderadorsud20 said:
Hasn't anyone noticed that a Rules Compendium for 3.5D&D has been announced for October in spite of the 4th being launched four months later? What is the sense for this?
It may well be a transition product which will serve as a sort of "bridge" between the edition gap.

Remathilis

Legend
moderadorsud20 said:

Sure, its the "greatest hits" of the various supplements rules. Since they're not putting anything new out for 3.5, minus well package the best parts up and get a little more cash...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads