• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4e] Why not savor the PHB3? Major spoilers on the new races and classes.

Rothe_

First Post
I also dislike psionic PC characters for some odd reason (although not in DS).

I wonder how the psionic power source concept with power points and more at-wills will mesh with multiclassing and power swap feats.

It seems that switching out an at-will for an encounter power will either be too good a deal or too weak an option depending on what happens to power points.

If you lose power points when you swap, it will make the swap a weaker option.
If you don't lose power points, then it is going to be very strong, since the encounter power should be roughly equivalent to an augmented at-will.

Psikus

Explorer
Haven't seen anyone discussing this yet: The sample wizard and warlock have a superior implement, a crystal orb and a deathbone rod. Note that the wizard has a +7 modifier to attack and damage with 20 Int, and the warlock has +7 on will attacks and +6 on fort and ref attacks with 20 Char (and a damage modifier that ranges between +5 and +7). Since they are level 1 and have no magic items, +1 could come from expertiese, but I'm guessing the other +1 to attack comes from the implement (and the damage bonus as well?).

My guess is that these implements grant the +1 to attack vs one defense (Will) AND a +2 bonus to damage with a certain energy type (psychic and necrotic, respectively). So they can be really strong (that's about twice the benefit of a superior weapon, at best), but only if you follow very strict limitations on your power selection. I like that!

Destil

Explorer
the cleanest way would be granting a full augmented at will as an encounter power...

(like the human becomes an unaugmented at will as a racial at will)

I'm thinking, for the psion at least:

Buy in - Gain an At-Will. You can use this power unaugmented once per encounter.

Encounter Swap - Loose an encounter, gain 2 power points (or more based on the level of the power).

Since then you'd have power points and get some of the flexibility of your at-will (you could use the cheep augment twice, for instance) but in the end it would be even with other power swap feats.

The idea of getting an augmented at-will as an encounter would work well for classes where the buy in feat won't given you an at-will (non-controllers usually don't get that).

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Mostly I dislike psionics in D&D because it's pretty much identical to arcane magic. You concentrate, focus your mind and stuff happens, just like a wizard does. The fact that psionic mechanics have been pretty severely flawed every edition just compounds that: the only difference is the mechanics, and the difference is that psionics mechanics are second rate...

Pretty much for the same reason I dislike assassins, the runepriest and so on, although at least the assassin is mechanically sound.

Stuntman

First Post
I'm certainly looking forward to psionics and other new material in the PH3. I'm so glad that there is going to be another class whose attack stat is based on Con.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads