5' Step Clarification

Joust

First Post
I can't believe I'm asking this question after playing 3e since it came out, but here goes:

A) If you take a 5' step when your move both starts and ends in your opponent's threatened area, that still does not provoke an AoO, correct?

B) On the same topic, if you leave your opponent's threatened area (moving your speed only) and then re-enter that same opponent's threatened area in the same turn, that would provoke an AoO, correct? (This has come up a couple of times when a PC moves out of a threatened area to reposition himself to be in a flanking position on the same target).

Sorry if these have been asked and answered. It's late...brain...not...working.....

Thanee

First Post
A) Indeed, no AoO.

B) Nope, if all you do is move, the square you start your move in is not considered threatened. Entering a threatened square does not provoke an AoO, only leaving does. So, if all you do is move and the only time you leave a threatened square is with the first 5' of movement, then you do not provoke an AoO.

Bye
Thanee

IceBear

Explorer
Just as a clarification to B) above:

That's only true if the monster in question only has 5ft reach. You would suffer an AoO even if all you did was move if the monster had reach.

IceBear

Last edited:

Joust

First Post
Re: question B), the reason I thought it would provoke an AoO is because of how I'm reading the entry in the PHB p. 122. It says that if all you do is move, the square you start out in is not considered threatened and there are no AoO's. But it then says, "If you move into another threatened space, enemies do get AoO's for your leaving the first threatened space." So it seems that entering any other threatened area while moving will cause an AoO.

Maybe this is in the errata somewhere or has been clarified by the rules experts, but based on what I'm reading there would be an AoO in this situation.

dcollins

Explorer
Joust: indeed, that was a mistake that was fixed in errata ("PHB_Corrections.pdf"):

"Page 122, column 1, Provoking an Attack of Opportunity, line 7: change first to second"

Thanee

First Post
IceBear said:
Just as a clarification to B) above:

That's only true if the monster in question only has 5ft reach. You would suffer an AoO even if all you did was move if the monster had reach.

I think, that reach is covered already up there! :)

Bye
Thanee

IceBear

Explorer
Thanee said:

I think, that reach is covered already up there! :)

Bye
Thanee

I know Thanee, I've just seen so many rookies to the rules get confused by AoO that I just wanted to make sure that they got that point. What you said is 100% accurate and does take reach into account, I just wanted to explicitedly point it out.

Your rule knowledge is better than mine so I wasn't saying anything to be mean or to correct you, just to help clarify for the new guys.

IceBear

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Joust said:
Re: question B), the reason I thought it would provoke an AoO is because of how I'm reading the entry in the PHB p. 122. It says that if all you do is move, the square you start out in is not considered threatened and there are no AoO's. But it then says, "If you move into another threatened space, enemies do get AoO's for your leaving the first threatened space." So it seems that entering any other threatened area while moving will cause an AoO.

It's easy: the first square you stand in isn't considered threatened.
If you aren't in your foe's threatened area after that, you won't get an AoO for that move. When you reenter his threatened space later in that round, you still provoke no AoO, since entering the threat zone never provokes an AoO.
But if you're still in his threatened area after moving out of the starting square, your further movement will provoke an AoO. This can happen if the enemy has more then 5' reach, or if you didn't move right out of his threat zone (e.g. you don't take a step backwards, away from him, but you take a step to your left or right).

Remove ads