D&D 5E 5e Creature Templates

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, but when you bump the HD given HP (or any HP really) up or down a significant amount it changes the CR.
It could, yes. This can be resolved in one of 2 ways:
  1. Include a CR adjustment as part of the template
  2. Include counter measures in the template. If a Brute has more HP and DPR, it can have reduced AC and to hit to compensate and remain at the same CR.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I looked at compensating. So a brute has more HP and does more damage, but it is offset be the fact it has lower AC and to hit bonus. This allows the CR to remain the same. Alternately, you could revise the CR as you noted (if needed). The trick is finding the right balance. I didn't find one formula that worked across all CR ranges. I will give a try again with some of your ideas (which differed a bit from mine).
That's the problem I have, I look at the changes and have to decide if the increases in some areas are enough to warrant a CR (and increase in XP from defeating them). I think lower CRs might not need much adjustment, but if you take a creature of a higher CR that has multiple attacks and apply the brute template it could be gaining enough hit points and extra damage to need an increase. Definitely don't want to apply the templates and then realise that I made it too difficult a battle.

I'd be interested to see what work you do. I'm still in the process of looking at other roles in 4e to develop. I might also adjust some of the templates by reducing hit points for "squishy" roles in the same way as the 4e roles had artillery and lurkers that had something like 6 hit points/level instead of the 8 hit points that others had.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It could, yes. This can be resolved in one of 2 ways:
  1. Include a CR adjustment as part of the template
  2. Include counter measures in the template. If a Brute has more HP and DPR, it can have reduced AC and to hit to compensate and remain at the same CR.
I was actually thinking of removing proficiency bonus to hit and leaving it as strength bonus only. Less accurate but harder hitting. Another option was reducing hit bonus by 1 point per tier so an orc brute would have a +4 instead of +5 to hit with their great axe but deal an extra 4 points of damage when they do. A CR 19 creature (tier 4) would have -4 to hit/+7 damage. Something I will have to play around with.

Actually, just thinking about it, I could probably just subtract the proficiency bonus and then add double proficiency to damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads