• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E has brought this old gmaer back to D&D after 8 years!

Hunyock

First Post
I haven't played since 2e, when the monster manual came in a 3-ring binder! Playing through the starter set with one group my friend is DM'ing and I'm DM'ing another game for my kids (2 boys, 7 and 11). I'm having more fun than ever, so glad to have rediscovered this great game, and thankful for the opportunity to pass it along to my kids.

Mavkatzer

Explorer
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the warm welcome to ENWorld!
It's great to hear so many people love the old school feel of 5E and are back into D&D, too.
See you all around here!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Welcome back, Mavkatzer. I too started in the early 80s with Basic. Bounced around White Wolf in high school (of course) and a bunch of other systems, but D&D was always there. Having moved to Seattle I've been lucky enough to be part of the various devs' playtest groups for 3, 4, and 5. Each Edition is a clear creation of the culture/times in which it was wrought. 3E is a child of the late roaring 90s, 4E of that MMO era, and 5E evokes the current modern respect for what's come before + innovation. Hipster D&D, meant as a compliment.

Anyway: welcome back, roleplayer. Bust out those filled-in-with-crayon dice, and those Grenadier miniatures if minis are your thing, and throw some Led Zeppelin on Pandora.

EDIT: and holy cow, you're from Traverse City? I'm originally from Northville, MI. There's a nonzero chance we gamed together back in the day on 313 or 810 area code BBSs. Ha--small world.

Last edited:

It was coincidence that I came back when 5th edition was being released. I had a 20+ yr hiatus from D&D. I'm really enjoying it though and have been lucky to fall in with a good group.

Nebulous

Legend
I haven't played since 2e, when the monster manual came in a 3-ring binder! Playing through the starter set with one group my friend is DM'ing and I'm DM'ing another game for my kids (2 boys, 7 and 11). I'm having more fun than ever, so glad to have rediscovered this great game, and thankful for the opportunity to pass it along to my kids.

Man, i miss that binder. I had it stuffed to gills with every supplement, but at some point my Mom threw it away :(

I'm still crying inside about that.

Anyway , yeah, 5e to me feels like a 2e/3e hybrid, so it really can appeal to both old school and new school D&D players. It seems like it has brought a ton of old players back.

Mavkatzer

Explorer
Hey Zaruthustran!
I lived in Grayling until more recently, so we may have missed each other. That being said, my newer gamer friends in TC are from around here, so perhaps we are only one gamer removed? :)
I still have 1 (only 1) of the crayon dice left, but I insist on using it still!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Ha, wow. I used to go camping near Grayling in high school. Some epic 4th of July bashes.

What a fun, unexpected connection. And a reminder of what a good connector D&D is, with it's long history and worldwide spread.

Riley37

First Post
I played D&D in 1980, then mostly other TRPGs including about a solid decade of Hero System (best known for "Champions"), with occasional D&D and other d20. I tried 4E when it rolled out, once, and *hated* it. What got me back into D&D was only indirectly 5E; specifically, it was Adventurer's League. I moved, looked for gamers in my new town, and the weekly AL game at my local game store was the most immediately visible group to join.

Hunyock

First Post
I've still got my set of six baby blue crayon dice from the Basic set (circa 1980). Their finish is yellowing and cracked, but I just re-crayoned them :)

I've only got 1 or 2 of the green crayon dice from the Advanced set.

Remove ads