5e Homebrew Setting: Malebolge, Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

QuietBrowser

First Post
:crickets chirping:

...I must confess, I am underwhelmed with that response. :sigh: Well, I really do need to get working on this, so I will try to continue... to my best efforts, this currently marks my list of planned expansions to this setting so far:
* Continuing the Setting Bible by writing up the events of the Doom War and the Black Dawn than ended it by creating Malebolge.
* Write-ups of various regions (compare: Fallout's Mojave, Capital Wasteland, Point Lookout, Commonwealth, whatever the area Fallouts 1/2 are set in).
* An examination of classes appropriate to the setting, with possibly examinations of how they relate to established/canonical races of the setting.
* Detail the differing "styles" of the Old World Cultures, talk about how they thought about the world around them, their artistic forms, etc, just try and flesh out how you can tell an ancient dwarven ruin from an elfin one, or what makes a human-made magical item visually distinct from its dwarfin and elfin equivalents.
* Maybe discuss the races I'm planning on fielding, in order to better expand on them?

Actually, on that latter note, there is something I could use folks help with, if you're willing? Long story short, the plan I have for the Dwarves is that there is a minority of "purebloods" (Hill Dwarf stats) around, but the majority of them mutated, either partially (creating 5e Forgeborn Dwarves) or into a whole new species (Gnomoi - Rock Gnomes). I'm just kind of struggling with how to handle the fate of the elves in comparison.

Also... in case I haven't said it before, I envisioned the "old world" of this setting as being extremely magically advanced. I'm talking Eberron with a dash of Forgotten Realms Age of Magic. I had a project, once upon a time, about "hypertech" in 5e... and, really, a lot of "science fiction" stuff can easily be reskinned as magical. Do folks think it makes sense to talk about the possibility of such material lingering in the form of ancient relics? "Golemtech" artifical limbs, mana-fuelled energy blasters, chainswords, etc?

QuietBrowser

First Post
Really getting kind of discouraged by the lack of interest here, but I figured I might as well try and share something useful.

Races of Malebolge:
To explain my racial setup in advance... I'm a big fan of experimenting with more "gonzo" or "obscure" races, I like to try and put new spins on "classic" races, and I don't believe in the Always Chaotic Evil trope. So, the result is... more or less what you see here. I'm of course open to further expansion, alterations and additions; for example, the Diabolus race from Mystara, with its classic lore as "extraplanar aliens forced to migrate to the human world", could easily be spun into Malebolge as a race stranded there en-mass by the riftstorms or planequakes. So could a rip-off of Warcraft's Draenei race, but I wouldn't endanger this board by doing something like that.

I actually have a segment in my setting bible dedicated to discussing the races, but I figured I should list them and explain them here first before I share that. If folks want to see what I wrote up for the bible, please, ask me and I'll post it here.

Humans: Humanity's hat is basically "adaptability" (plus "breed like roaches"), so I figure that there's ample justification to have enclaves of (relatively) pure-blooded humans still surviving in the present day. They're just sort of the natural "go-to" race.

Elves: I'm torn between whether or not to have elves survive in this setting. Maybe only mutant elves like drow (who went underground to escape the chaos above) or shadar-kai (see below) are left to represent them. I just can't make up my mind.

Dwarves: In the current setting, "pure" dwarves still survive, but have become a xenophobic minority. Because the dwarfin culture made use of elemental magic, the majority of dwarves have either become "tainted" by that elemental energy - becoming a 5e adaptation of Forgeborn Dwarves instead of the "purebloods" Mountain Dwarves, or have wholely mutated into a new form; the Gnomoi (use the stats for Rock Gnomes and my homebrew "tinker gnome" fluff, loosely inspired by Pathfinder).

Orks: I discovered the Wicked Fantasy setting and I fell in love with its depiction of orks. Former monsters trying to redeem themselves, the whole "cult of pain" thing, the "honor is in the scars" culture, it's just fascinating. At the same time, I thought it'd be fun to try and incorporate the original LoTR fluff of them being "ruined elves". So, I tied the orks of Malebolge into the Doom War; a war crime committed by the dwarves in retaliation for the magical virus-bombing of one of their greatest cities by the elves, orks are the descendants of elves alchemically mutated into bestial supersoldiers - an experiment that went horribly right, as the orks broke free of their dwarven masters' control and turned on them. Still embittered at their creators, orks are defined by their struggle to find a place for themselves and to make peace with what they've lost. My current plan is to use the half-orc stats, but that may change when Volo's Guide comes out. Additionally, I'm currently inclined to use the alchemical experiment backstory to give them random mutants; goblins, which are smaller but more magical orks (use Forest Gnome stats), and trolls, which are bigger and tougher (Goliath stats).

Kobolds: I just love these little guys, especially the way they like to brag about being cousins to dragons to make themselves look more important. So, in the Malebolge setting, kobolds are the descendants of dragons - specifically, though the dragons themselves vanished after the Black Dawn, their abandoned eggs hatched into the first kobolds. An entire race burning with an inferiority complex, striving to find a way to undo what has been done to them. If dragonborn exist in this setting, and I'm inclined towards letting them, they represent the greatest success in the kobold experiments in mutagens on adults and unhatched offspring alike. The all-too-frequent failures? That's where the wyverns, the faerie dragons, the elemental drakes, the dinosaurs, and most other "almost-but-not-quite-a-dragon" reptilian beasties come from.

Warforged: How could I not steal so much inspiration from Eberron and not take these guys with it? Warforged in Malebolge are more magitek-mechanical looking than the "wooden muscles under steel exoskeleton" of the Eberron version, but they're still the same; looking for a purpose, and a way to ensure their species doesn't die out by finding and restoring the forge-creches that created them, back when humanity strove to gain the muscle to try and stop the madness engulfing their world.

Calibans: Humans survive, but not always unchanged. Calibans originate in Ravenloft, I think maybe 3rd edition? Essentially, they're human mutants, and so they fit into Malebolge far too well to just ignore them.

Shadar-Kai: These shadowy immortals were one of the more interesting races in 4e, I felt, and their "carpe diem" racial motto made them an interesting contrast to the standard cliches of post-apocalyptica. I just think that they fit the setting well, and they easily make sense as elves overwhelmed and mutated by surges of necrotic energy from necromantic spells gone haywire during the Black Dawn.

Ratfolk: I can't really explain these beyond they just felt right.

Aranea: I... don't know why it is I want to include these fellows. I guess it's because these sorcerous spider-shifters have always been an incredibly cool concept to me, but we haven't seen them since the days of Red Steel back in the late 80s.

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, I don't know how much it'll help, but I've started up a google doc to start keeping all the crunchy and fluffy content established for this setting. In addition to the things I mentioned in my last post, can anyone suggest any "blanks" in my current gazetteer list of topics?

On a different topic... I been listening to Miracle of Sound's Dark Souls 3 and Planescape: Torment homage songs recently, and it's started me thinking... would folks consider it "fair" that one of the myriad curses of the Black Dawn is the Darkfire; a perverted elemental force that manifests as a sickly black-green fire that radiates clamminess, unwholesome chill and taint, consuming life in order to feed itself? What I'm specifically thinking is that, whilst most people touched by the Darkfire are consumed utterly by it, some souls are strong enough to survive with it, becoming Darkfire Hosts. These individuals lose an indiscernible part of their souls, but can never find the release of death, as the Darkfire within them feeds on the life around them to restore their corpse afterwards.

Mechanically, that'd look something like this...

Darkfire Host (Trait/Flaw/Feat)
You are one of the cursed few who have been touched by Darkfire and survived. Now, its unclean flame burns inside of you, a hollow that strips the life from the land around you to sustain itself, ensuring you can never find peace in death.

• You immediately lose 2 points of both Constitution and Charisma.
  • Your racial ability score maximum for both Constitution and Charisma is reduced to 18.
  • If your Constitution or Charisma score is ever reduced to 0 as a result of ability damage, then you are consumed by the Darkfire, reducing you to unclean dust. You die immediately and can never be resurrected.
  • You gain the Restless Soul racial trait.

Restless Soul: If you begin your turn at less than 50% of your maximum hitpoints, you immediately regain 1 hitpoint. If you die, then you return to life 24 hours after your death. If your body was destroyed, it reforms at a safe point within 1 mile of where your body was destroyed. This does not protect your equipment; any equipment that was stolen or destroyed before you rose from the grave is lost appropriately. You also no longer age, becoming immune to magical aging.

...Actually, on that topic, how fair is it to have mechanical benefits and drawbacks to reflect various "arcane taints" and similar mutations that a survivor in the Malebolge could have or pick up?​

QuietBrowser

First Post
Folks, I could really use your advice on something... see, I'm contemplating putting together a series of "racial gazetteers" for this setting - outlining the nature of the various sapient races of the Malebolge, much like how, for example, Races of Faerun/Eberron/Stone/The Wild and Destiny did in 3e. I figure this would give a deeper feel to the world without, well, compromising too much on the post-apocalyptic feel.

There's just one problem. Kobolds. See, lately, I've been unable to shake this rather peculiar interpretation of them. It entails them being semi-hermaphroditic - long story short, under the right circumstances, females can "switch over" to an impregnatory role, and males can do likewise - and both sexes being potentially capable of growing pseudo-breasts, in the form of chest-based fat deposits. There's perfectly reasonable justifications for both of these traits - the "any two kobolds can make new kobolds, it doesn't need 1 of each gender" is how they avoid extinction despite being at the bottom of D&D's absurdly lethal foodchain, the pseudo-breasts are a natural sex display/status symbol for a bipedal species, and in fact they actually get even stronger with the lore of kobolds in Malebolge. The hermaphroditism could have been an actual trait of dragons before the Black Dawn, thus strengthening their "independent and aloof to the point of weakness" characterization, whilst the pseudo-breasts emphasize their "mockery of a human form" attribute.

Thing is, as I'm well aware, this is very close to what 4chan would call a "magical realm", no matter how matter-of-factly and unfetishistically I present it. So, I find myself caught on what to do. Do you folks think I should:
* Fight the urge and dispel all such thoughts when I write the kobold gazetteer?
* Do two versions of the gazetteer, one without these aspects and one with them, so DMs can accept which one they're more comfortable with?
* Just go ahead and do it with the aspects, in order to cement how alien and different Malebolge's kobolds are to the bogstandard yipping lizard-runts of vanilla D&D?

Please, I really do need opinions on this before I can make my mind up.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Eh, I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think that works.

The big reason I figure that druids don't exist in this setting is because it has a strong theme of "look inside one's self for the power you need". Humanity built its first empire on the ground of arcane magic, and never found a need for the divine. Druids, being essentially "the nature priest", don't make sense as a human development. As for the Aelfar...

I'm reminded of an article on magical plants from Dragon Magazine, where it explicitly noted that such things are near-universally the creation of wizards, as druids see them as abominations and their creation amongst one of the greatest atrocities one can commit against nature. The Aelfar's entire culture was based on using magic to control, transform, mutate and create both plants and animals to suit their needs, from their spelljammers to living weapons, and adding necromancy on top of that so that even death was not an end to servitude. Does that sound even remotely like a druidic philosophy?

Bards as they exist actually do make a pretty good class that developed after the apocalypse, as scriveners and jacks of all trades who scavenge all kinds of lore from the past, and I thank you for reminding me of that. But Druids proper... I'm probably going to stick with just homebrewing various "plantomancer" branches for the Wizard, Sorcerer and Warlock to represent the mastery of plants - I already have a Wood Elementalist Wizard, I'm sure I can make something for the others.

Thank you for taking an interest, and I do hope that this doesn't come across as personally attacking you. I just don't quite think that these suggestions work for me, I'm sorry.

I think you may be looking at things entirely backwards there. The classes are fundamentally just sets of abilities. You can use the class without remotely incorporating every single bit of fluff ever written about it in any published book ever. It really doesn't much matter how or why one setting says the abilities a class has works, you are free to rewrite all of that. All that matters is if the raw crunch of the class, the way it functions and to an extent what the abilities are said to do, that really cannot be changed without major issues.

The question is simply which classes have the ability sets that most closely match what you imagine the denizens of the world using. You can even change the name! Who cares what they are called and what the finer details of their society structures and rituals and power source is stated to be in some other alien dimension. The fact that your world has no deities already demonstrates without question that this is not taking place anywhere in the D&D cosmology, so then nothing about magic is set is stone and all fluff excuses for a class's abilities should be entirely rewritten.

Folks, I could really use your advice on something... see, I'm contemplating putting together a series of "racial gazetteers" for this setting - outlining the nature of the various sapient races of the Malebolge, much like how, for example, Races of Faerun/Eberron/Stone/The Wild and Destiny did in 3e. I figure this would give a deeper feel to the world without, well, compromising too much on the post-apocalyptic feel.
There's just one problem. Kobolds. See, lately, I've been unable to shake this rather peculiar interpretation of them. It entails them being semi-hermaphroditic - long story short, under the right circumstances, females can "switch over" to an impregnatory role, and males can do likewise - and both sexes being potentially capable of growing pseudo-breasts, in the form of chest-based fat deposits. There's perfectly reasonable justifications for both of these traits - the "any two kobolds can make new kobolds, it doesn't need 1 of each gender" is how they avoid extinction despite being at the bottom of D&D's absurdly lethal foodchain, the pseudo-breasts are a natural sex display/status symbol for a bipedal species, and in fact they actually get even stronger with the lore of kobolds in Malebolge. The hermaphroditism could have been an actual trait of dragons before the Black Dawn, thus strengthening their "independent and aloof to the point of weakness" characterization, whilst the pseudo-breasts emphasize their "mockery of a human form" attribute.

Thing is, as I'm well aware, this is very close to what 4chan would call a "magical realm", no matter how matter-of-factly and unfetishistically I present it. So, I find myself caught on what to do. Do you folks think I should:
* Fight the urge and dispel all such thoughts when I write the kobold gazetteer?
* Do two versions of the gazetteer, one without these aspects and one with them, so DMs can accept which one they're more comfortable with?
* Just go ahead and do it with the aspects, in order to cement how alien and different Malebolge's kobolds are to the bogstandard yipping lizard-runts of vanilla D&D?

Please, I really do need opinions on this before I can make my mind up.

Hnn.. The fact that you seem to have put way too much thought into this, the fact that you are even aware of 4chan and those that have fetish for hermaphrodite reptillian/draconian things at all... well, that you would write this... your guilty mind is pretty clear.

From a purely natural, objective outsider approaching the idea... one just says "Kobolds have no natural gender, when it comes to breeding they are able to serve either role meaning that any two random Kobolds are able to produce a whole formidable tribe hidden away in unexpected places in a matter of decades."

The idea that if someone tries to wipe them out and somehow misses only two... or somehow only two sneak past guard and set themselves up in some cave or sewer or other place people never go or think about could cause a whole infestation of them somewhere and it is really hard to get rid of them because, again, you miss two and the next generation is going to have to deal with another whole tribe "invading" from within your own city.

Of course, you could make it even more dangerous than that... "Even though Kobolds are generally universally thought of as male lacking the typical female identifying features, they are in fact all female. Kobolds reproduce asexually and even one Kobold is capable of laying a dozen viable eggs every year. As they reach sexual maturity within 5 years, a lone Kobold can soon spawn and entire tribe."

Also... the fact that you spelled Orc with a "k" and you feel the need to include Rat-people simply because it "feels right" without seemingly having any sort of unique role for them to play (if you expand Kobold roles, it is hard to see what you even do with Ratpeople), it is rather clear where a lot of your background and inspiration comes from.

Last edited:

QuietBrowser

First Post
I think you may be looking at things entirely backwards there. The classes are fundamentally just sets of abilities. You can use the class without remotely incorporating every single bit of fluff ever written about it in any published book ever. It really doesn't much matter how or why one setting says the abilities a class has works, you are free to rewrite all of that. All that matters is if the raw crunch of the class, the way it functions and to an extent what the abilities are said to do, that really cannot be changed without major issues.

The question is simply which classes have the ability sets that most closely match what you imagine the denizens of the world using. You can even change the name! Who cares what they are called and what the finer details of their society structures and rituals and power source is stated to be in some other alien dimension. The fact that your world has no deities already demonstrates without question that this is not taking place anywhere in the D&D cosmology, so then nothing about magic is set is stone and all fluff excuses for a class's abilities should be entirely rewritten.

All very valid points... but the basic fact of the matter is that I just don't see the Druid working as a nature mage. I simply can't explain it better than that. Maybe it's the Wild Shape thing, I don't know, but it really is something I struggle with. I've never been that fond of the Druid, and although I know I can refluff it, the fact remains I just can't get over that hurdle where it just doesn't quite fit the motifs I need.

Hnn.. The fact that you seem to have put way too much thought into this, the fact that you are even aware of 4chan and those that have fetish for hermaphrodite reptillian/draconian things at all... well, that you would write this... your guilty mind is pretty clear.

From a purely natural, objective outsider approaching the idea... one just says "Kobolds have no natural gender, when it comes to breeding they are able to serve either role meaning that any two random Kobolds are able to produce a whole formidable tribe hidden away in unexpected places in a matter of decades."

The idea that if someone tries to wipe them out and somehow misses only two... or somehow only two sneak past guard and set themselves up in some cave or sewer or other place people never go or think about could cause a whole infestation of them somewhere and it is really hard to get rid of them because, again, you miss two and the next generation is going to have to deal with another whole tribe "invading" from within your own city.

Of course, you could make it even more dangerous than that... "Even though Kobolds are generally universally thought of as male lacking the typical female identifying features, they are in fact all female. Kobolds reproduce asexually and even one Kobold is capable of laying a dozen viable eggs every year. As they reach sexual maturity within 5 years, a lone Kobold can soon spawn and entire tribe."

I... I'm sorry, but I can't really understand what you're saying here.

Also... the fact that you spelled Orc with a "k" and you feel the need to include Rat-people simply because it "feels right" without seemingly having any sort of unique role for them to play (if you expand Kobold roles, it is hard to see what you even do with Ratpeople), it is rather clear where a lot of your background and inspiration comes from.

Actually, the Orks are, as I said earlier, essentially Wicked Fantasy's Orks (which is probably why I've been spelling them with a K, beyond the whole "they were a dwarven creation and dwarfin uses a lot of hard K sounds" thing) with Tolkien's "orcs are corrupted elves" thrown in for flavor.

The ratfolk, meanwhile, are inspired by a combination of Rokugan's Nezumi and Final Fantasy's Burmecians and are currently set up as one of the noblest races in the setting, being lead by an order of what are essentially non-divine paladins. Kobolds, meanwhile, are torn between their "traditions" as power-hungry schemers whose desperation to return to dragondom has led to many disasters and hardships (all of the "drakes" that plague the world? Kobold experiments gone wrong) and trying to just find a place for themselves alongside their neighbors.

So, no, Warhammer actually doesn't have that much inspiration. I will admit that when I try to picture the "scavengerpunk arcane enviro-suit armor" endemic to the setting, there is a baroqueness to the design in my mind's eye that does make me remember older editions of Warhammer Fantasy.

Anyway, to get off the topic of my uselessness for once, I finally have the first draft of the setting bible complete, and I would deeply love any feedback on it that I can get. I'm worried about what I might be missing and how I can better define this foundation as to why Malebolge is something I want to build up.

The Doomwar
Clanhold Urdunnir was one of the most vocally anti-Aelfar of the various Sonnlinor clans who happened to dwell in the increasingly contested borderlands between Nidavellir proper and the territories claimed by elves. It was well-known to all three powers that Urdunnir was actively engaging in guerrilla activity against the elves, secretly training, supporting and hiding assassins, thieves and other terrorists. Though the incensed Aelfar demanded restitution for their role in the attacks, Urdunnir feigned innocence and was tacitly supported by the rest of the Sonnlinor clans.

It is unclear in this modern era what was the final straw, but it is believed that the assassination of the Aelfar noble Quillathe Holimion was the ultimate cause. This is because her brother, Paelias Holimion, is generally accepted as the Aelfar who ordered the destruction of the Clanhold at last.

This was achieved through the use of the first "megaspell", an epically powerful arcane ritual requiring the combined efforts of multiple powerful mages, to create a powerful arcane plague that erupted spontaneously amongst the population of the Clanhold.

Fragmented records survive amongst some ancient Sonnlinor clanholds, speaking of reports sent from the clan's Urthstar - an enchanted pillar used to communicate between various Sonnlinor Clanholds - by the desperate survivors of the clan. It speaks of Sonnlinor slain in horrific manner, the fallen rising from where they fell to become ravenous, flesh-hungry zombies, or mutated into fouler horrors. Eventually, trapped in their own homes, the survivors chose to give their lives to breach the Clanhold's magma-forges, incinerating the entire Clanhold in a massive storm of elemental fire that destroyed everything within before it could spread to attack other Clanholds.

With this attack, open war was declared between Aelfar and Sonnlinor. The two factions martialled all of their forces and marched out in open strength, the first and ultimately the last war to ever befoul Eden. The Doomwar.

The Aelfar proved lethally effective at first, wielding armies of engineered warrior-slaves crafted from magically-engineered plants and animals, all directed on by elite Aelfar warriors wielding enchanted weapons. This ferocity was met by the Sonnlinor with great fortitude, their enchanted arms and armor allowing them to hold their ground against the onslaught.

Seeing the odds they faced, the Sonnlinor sought to even the odds. Using stolen fragments of fleshcrafting lore and their own alchemical skills, they experimented upon captured Aelfar soldiers, mutating them into more savage and bestial green-skinned monsters. These corrupted elves were named the Uruk, a word meaning, loosely, "blood-damned". In time, they would come to be known by a looser variation of the word: Ork.

Having lost their magical powers and longevity, but being imbued with faster maturation, greater fecundity and violent, bestial temperaments, the Uruk were swiftly bred into mighty hordes that the Sonnlinor eagerly unleashed against their Aelfar foes. The Uruk would take the brunt of the casualties, and so what; for were they not expendable? The Aelfar soon realized what these savage new warrior-slaves were and become incensed, seeking to destroy them as an insult to who they were.

This new factor would have escalated the conflict anyway, but something happened that only ensured the Doomwar would speed to its ultimate, cataclysmic conclusion: the Uruk escaped the control of their Sonnlinor masters, and turned on both sides.

Humanity had tried to stay out of the fray as much as possible, but this was no longer an option. Now it was being attacked on all sides, its people slaughtered as collateral damage in Aelfar/Sonnlinor battles or attacked by wild bands of Uruk, bands from both sides stealing from human city-states to find an edge.

But they were outnumbered now, and so they turned to their own ways to even the odds. Whilst the Aelfar and Sonnlinor had mostly ignored megaspells after the Pestilence of Clanhold Urdunnir, humanity embraced the concept, researching ways in which battle magics could be employed to devastate entire armies or scour cities clean. To bulk out their lesser ranks, they turned to the arts of artifice, eventually bringing to life the artificial humanoids they dubbed, simply, the Warforged.

Armed with these new powerful tools, humanity struck back against all sides, hoping to shock and awe them into coming to terms. Legions of artificial soldiers ran down ravening hordes of wild Uruk and berserk Aelfar battle-beasts, whilst the sky rained down fire and blood upon clashing armies of dwarf and elf, shattering both powers in an instant.

In the grisly aftermath, humanity held its breath, hoping against hope that their first strike had done its duty.

The Black Dawn
It failed. The Aelfar simply declared that they would destroy humanity as well, whilst the Sonnlinor were incensed by what they perceived as the greatest of treachery - nevermind the countless humans slain and robbed by Sonnlinor beforehand. As for the Uruk, tormented by their artificially engineered battle-lust, they considered all life to be their enemy on principle.

And so the Doom War span outwards, growing ever more destructive. Having seen the power of megaspells, both Aelfar and Sonnlinor turned to developing them in kind, creating an arm's race in which ever-more-destructive magics were brought into being.

Inevitably, there could be only one outcome.

How, precisely, it happened, none can say. What happened is both vague and all too clear. Megaspells were unleashed by all factions at once, perhaps deliberately, perhaps accidentally, and the resultant conflux of magic was too great for any to control.

Reality itself quaked as the megaspells erupted into magical storms that wounded the very WorldSoul itself. Mountains were levelled and raised high, rifts between worlds opened, the earth buckled and heaved, the sky burned and venom rained from the angry heavens.

Words cannot truly describe the thousand and one horrors of that day, when the world screamed and bled in torment. All that can be said is that the old world was wiped away in a storm of metal and fire and blood.

It is immortalized by those who remain as the Black Dawn. The day the sun set on Eden, and rose on Malebolge.

Generations have passed since that day of violent reshaping. New people have sprung up to take the place of the old. But all of them still live amongst the legacies of those who came before. For good, and for ill.

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, just to prove I've been working on this project - in fact, I got the first racial guide done this morning, but I'm not sure if I should show it here, because it's the kobold and I'm still looking it over for sheer creepiness...

A thread on beastmen races in fantasy on /tg/ made me think of two seperate things.

Firstly, whilst I don't like the Always Chaotic Evil trope, I don't mind the Usually Chaotic Evil version - in a fantasy world, it makes sense that there are cultures messed up enough to usually make for antagonists. And I also rather like subverting expectations - hence the Rodushi being not the "always chaotic evils swarming filthy ratfolk" you see in every fantasy setting, but a slightly Eastern-tinted culture of noble paladin-types dedicated to restoring civilization, inspired mostly by Final Fantasy's Burmecians with a little of Legend of the Five Rings' Nezumi thrown in.

Why am I bringing this up? Essentially, there's this obscure card game called Hex: Shards of Fate, and one of the races there is the Shin'hare, an incredibly ruthless and imperialistic species of bunnyfolk who make extensive use of blood magic, necromancy and human wave tactics to compensate for their physically unimposing nature. We're talking a species that routinely butchers its children to power blood magic rites that produce enchanted arms & armor for its warrior elite, and where the primary ruling caste is an elite band of female sorcerers who use magic to produce unnaturally large and quick-growing litters.

http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Shin’hare

To finally ask my questions, do folks think that an expy of the Shin'hare could work in the Malebolge setting? I can honestly see them, with origins in a cabal of Aelfar mystics whose souls were displaced from their bodies during the Black Dawn. Rather than dissipae, they possessed the first living creatures they could - a warren of rabbits. To their horror, they found themselves stuck. Through a combination of their spiritual contamination and arcane rights, they mutated their bodies and the children of those bodies into the first of the (Bunnyfolk).

Now, they rule as an elite council of lich-wraiths; foul-hearted mystics who continually reincarnate whenever their bodies give out, for even now they can only live a fraction of their original elven lifespan. Cruel and arrogant to begin with, the generations have twisted their minds and left them quite mad, causing them to shape their offspring into a brutal, ruthless society hell-bent on subguating the rest of the world.

Emphasis here would be that it's not so much the (Bunnyfolk) are born evil as that their culture is seriously messed up, and that's due to the influence of the "Eternal Emperors". You can easily have defectors from decadence, but the bulk of the culture are your traditional badguys, with a touch of black comedy.

But, I don't know if other folks could buy this race, so that's why I would like to get opinions while I'm here.

Second question; as a result of that same thread, I've been idly contemplating how to make a race of horsemen. I'm fairly confident I've got something decent, but would they fit in Malebolge, or would I be better off saving them for some other project?

To touch on a topic that's been bugging me... I've never really liked druids that much. My plan for them in Malebolge is just to leave them out, because there's no divine magic in the setting, but... well, on Enworld, it was pointed out to me that class fluff can be reworked. I know this to be true, but... well, do folks really think that the Aelfar's traditions of enslaving and mutating animals & plants to serve their will really sounds like something that can be done with the Druid class? I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to use it...

I've been contemplating writing a "Scavver's Guidebook", an in-universe text detailing at least fragments of a scavver (professional scavenger) manual talking about the architecture of the Lost Empires, how to differentiate between the magical items of said cultures, traps, natural hazards, magical hazards, dangerous and useful plants/animals/minerals, stuff like that. Would folks be interested in that?

Speaking of magic... I've always envisioned Eden during the "golden era" as being sort of like Eberron meets... whatever that Forgotten Realm sub-setting set in Faerun's past during the height of Netheril was. Age of Magic? Whatever. Still, even with this in mind... would it break folks' suspension of disbelief if I said they had firearm-equivalents, expies of Warhammer 40000's chain-weapons (which 4e already did, via the Fleshgrinder "enchantment" in Adventurer's Vault 2), artificial limbs based on replacing lost appendages with golem versions, and things like that? Keep in mind this is all Lost Technology at this point.

Chaosmancer

Legend
First of all

Holy wowza, there is some really awesome stuff here man.

Secondly, don't be too discouraged with the lack of response. I was slowly doing my own homebrew stuff, and I don't think I've ever received any feedback ever, even from friends. Link here for shameless promotion and guilt http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?470819-Chaosmancer-Homebrew-The-World-of-Arista

Onto some of the things you asked about, and perhaps some you didn't

Hermaphrodite Kobolds: These honestly sound really cool, I've never used kobolds in my games (I prefer goblins) but this lore as fallen dragons and having this weird biology is tempting. I would say, if you aren't going to use the lizard breasts, don't mention them. If they are simply there because you can, it isn't worth it, if you've got some rock-solid stuff (like the change in biology requires the movement of a bunch of mass, meaning the males end up bulkier but the females get the curves) try it, but it seems completely unnecessary and takes away from the coolness I already find in there.

Ratfolk: Are really cool, just wanted to throw that out there, but I'm curious if you are homebrewing them or just using the Eberron unearthed arcana and taking the shifters.

Guns: Ancient tech guns make perfect sense for the setting, but perhaps make them experimental or more like stationary cannons. I could see delving into a destroyed dwarven stronghold, finding a huge nasty beastie, and then trying to figure out how to work the experimental cannon to aid in the fight against something hunting the party.

Bunnypeople: Hit or miss honestly, the idea of these eternal lich-wraiths running a society to destroy the world is amazingly cool, but most of people are going to laugh at the entire idea because they are bunnies. There will be no end to the jokes at the table. Maybe have them be some sort of corrupted elves, hit by some aftershock that altered them irrevocably into something unlike their original forms but still humanoid. Having them forced into a cycle of being reborn as Orks could be interesting, stuck inbodies that were a mockery of their former forms for all eternity, the only way to free themselves from this shame and torment is to make sure nothing is left alive so they can finally be free of this twisted hell of a world.

Playable Races: So, it sounds like you want the majority of these races to be playable, but maybe consider either not having them all playable or having a subset of them available at the start of the game. Mostly because of flavor. Your players are going to inform how the race is perceived, if you really want to drive home how wierd and off-putting a culture of non-evil people is, consider making them all NPC's. The players are outsiders looking into this well of information, but they just don't understand everything they are seeing. It's what I did with the Yuan-Ti, because they have such a strange and off-putting religion in Arista that I didn't want a player trying to portray or explain, because that would take away from how uncomfortable I want it to be for the table.

Druids: Tough one. I'd advocate cutting them entirely, unless someone insists on playing one. They are incredibly rare individuals perhaps, not a rote culture of knowledge and abilities but something that happened because of a confluence of events. My first thought as to what that could be is some sort of "solar flare" of the Worldsoul. You said in the Black Dawn paragraph that the WorldSoul was damaged, perhaps it is "bleeding" and that takes the form of spikes of magical energy, pure power that allows one magic never before seen, and the ability to phase your body into other forms, taking on the flesh of other creatures of the Worldsoul but maintaining your spirit. Definitely not common and maybe you'd want to talk to the player and hash out a unique backstory for how they came into this power, something other people just aren't going to get.

Question: If you are planning on running this, how do you plan on driving home the sheer dangerous brutality of the landscape without TPKing the party or just toying with them? Ive had highy dangerous environments before, things many times worse than the standard, and I've never felt like I've been able to pin the feeling down quite right

QuietBrowser

First Post
Thank you very much for your interest in this setting! It really does light up my day when I see somebody saying that this setting has awesome ideas in it. And I appreciatey our trying to comfort me about the lack of responses.

On Hermaphroditic Kobolds: I'm not entirely sure what you mean about "using" the lizard-breasts. The lore-angle I was going for is that it plays into how kobolds are, or traditionally view themselves as anyway, cursed with a "mockery" of a form, a bleding of "elegant dragons" with "inferior humanoids". They should be dragons, but instead, they're this pale imitation that looks more like a humanoid aping a dragon. I figure it can't hurt anyone too badly, so I'll go ahead and post their current racial gazetteer, let you see how I ended up working it.

On Ratfolk: I'm glad you like the idea. And I'm homebrewing them; if you check out my "QB's Homebrew Races" thread, you can find the ratfolk stats I've currently got going on for this.

On Guns: Hmm, I hadn't considered that angle.

On Bunnypeople: I'm aware that the idea of chaotic evil bunnypeople is something folks would laugh at. Initially. When you run into the megalomaniacal bunnyfolk warlord wearing a cloak of screaming human faces and who sends wave after wave of grim-featured, emotionless underlings to die on your swords, even as his horrifically bloated sorceress consort spawns replacements that throw themselves into the fray with nothing but their hands and teeth... who's laughing then? There is comedy in the concept, but do it right, and it's black as pitch, perfect for the spiritual heir to the Shin'hare.

On Playable Races: The basic principle I work for with my races is "Never Always Chaotic Evil, But Usually Chaotic Evil". There are inherently antagonistic races, but they're not monocultures that you never see any difference in. That's why kobolds have gone from "mad scientists whose desperation to turn themselves into dragons creates mutant monsters" to "aggressive, somewhat xenophobic reptilians who are trying to get away from the remnant tribes who still want to turn them all back into dragons". If my "blackbunnyfolk" idea does get done, you would still have defectors, renegades and those who just said "screw this!" because it's not that they're evil, it's that they're ruled by evil tyrants, and that screws things up for everyone.

On Druids: A very interesting suggestion, thank you so much for sharing it.

On Your Question: I actually don't have plans on running this. I've never DMed, I don't have anyone I can play with, and I don't really think I'd be much good at it. I'm building this world because it's an image in my head that I need to exorcise, and it's good personal training. As for the query you ask... I don't have an answer for you, I'm afraid. As I said, I'm no DM, so I don't have the skills to properly answer you.

QuietBrowser

First Post
And this is the first edition kobold "racial gazetteer", a sort of guidebook to kobolds as they exist in Malebolge. Please, try not to freak out about things too much. But, at the same time, I am open to people pointing out aspects I missed, or which contradicted themselves. This is being done in the open because I want to refine my ideas and make them work as best I can.

Kobolds
Who Are They?
Cursed by the Black Dawn, ashamed of their inability to live up to a glorious legacy that exists only in their own minds, the kobolds are the corrupted children of the mighty and arrogant dragons that once wheeled across the sky of Eden. Obsessed with reclaiming their ancestral glory, kobolds are notorious for their willingness to achieve their goals, no matter the cost to others or even themselves.

Physiology
Kobolds are a diminutive race of reptilian humanoids, standing between 2'6" and 4'2" tall and typically weighing 35 to 50 pounds on average. Females are usually larger than males, as is common for reptiles.

Kobold heads consist of lizard-like skulls with blunt, rounded snouts capable of remarkably human-like expressions. They have two eyes consisting of a colored iris and a vertical slit pupil, a long, dextrous tongue with a forked tip, and a mouth filled with sharp, carnivorous teeth; predominantly needle-like canines, with specialized pre-molars and molars at the back, allowing them some omnivorous tendencies in their diet.

Kobolds all bear horns on their skulls, which can be white, tan or black in color; the precise number and shape of these horns is rather randomized, but does tend to run in familial lines. These horns may consist of paired rows rising from the top of the skull (the mark of a male kobold) or a singular row that runs down the spine (which is only found on females).

In typical reptilian fashion, kobolds hear through small earholes hidden against the back of their necks. Some kobold family lines may have mutations that augment their ability to hear, from fin-like crests that help funnel sound to strangely dog or rabbit-like flexible ears.

Like the dragons they descend from, kobolds bear hides covered in tough, flexible, tightly meshed scales. The precise coloration varies widely from individual to individual, but on the whole they tend towards red, brown, gray, blue and green. Kobolds usually bear very distinct markings on their hides, patternings of spots, stripes, splotches, socks, masks, muzles and even underbellies, usually based on shifts in tone. Kobolds with patches of brighter colors like purple, yellow or orange are rare, with metallic colored kobolds being rarest of all.

A kobold's hands consist of three fingers and an opposable thumb, all sporting claw-like nails, whilst its digitigrade legs end in reptilian paws consisting of three large toes and a smaller dewclaw higher up the foot towards the ankle.

The tails of these beings are rat-like in shape, being long, slender appendages that are highly flexible. Kobolds are adept at concealing their facial expressions, but their emotions tend to leak through in the motions of their tail, an easy tell for the rare soul adept in their way.

To the eyes of mammalians, kobolds can look rather androgynous; their petite frames, wide hips, slender limbs, large eyes, short statures and generally lithe builds all give them a "cute" or "feminine" air to the untrained eye. This gender confusion is only furthered by two distinct peculiarities of kobold physiology.

The first is the most startling; kobolds are a quasi-hermaphroditic species, in that although they do have recognizable male and female genders, peculiarities in their anatomies allow females to impregnate and males to become pregnant, should a kobold so desire. This trait undoubtedly stems from their draconic ancestors, who were well-documented for being hermaphroditic. This is in part why dragons were so solitary and never established any sort of community; any individual dragon could either mate and then focus on raising its own clutch, or simply forsake mating and self-fertilize, meaning the race never had to learn to work or live together longer than was required to engage in a sexual union.

The second is less explainable. Essentially, if a kobold eats sufficiently to build up excess fat reserves, it stores the bulk of the fat into two protrusions on the upper torso, which look remarkably like humanoid breasts. That this happens to both sexes possibly has something to do with the aforementioned quasi-hermaphrodite satus, but why it happens in the first place is a mystery. Depending on the tribe a kobold hails from, such growth may be seen as either desirable, showcasing the kobold's status and strength, or as undesirable, either for being a mockery of the kobold form or signifying laziness.

Personality
Intensity is perhaps the single-most defining trait of the typical kobold. These reptilian beings are definitely not slow and sleepy, the way some may think of lizards. Kobolds feel emotions passionately, and are by their natures a very driven people.

The typical kobold is fierce, stubborn, impulsive, and proud. An average kobold has a very strong sense of self-identity, quick to take offense at perceived mockery and slow to admit failure or weakness. It is common knowledge that the greatest weakness of kobolds is the struggle between their emotions and their logic; a kobold may be aware that she is small and weak compared to even a dwarf, but her stubborn pride may compel her to engage in foolish actions all the same, simply because she can't stand to be seen as inferior.

Well-aware of this, kobold tribes place a great deal of emphasis on training kobolds to control themselves. In a world where their bodies are a weakness, they must learn to compensate by mastering their minds.

This does give kobolds a reputation for being somewhat unstable, as their natural passion results in a lot of emotions being repressed until, inevitably, something explodes.

Kobolds also have a very strong possessive streak. Although this is usually considered to be mere avarice, in truth, a kobold's natural inclination is to define things as either "mine" or "not mine". MY food, MY weapon, MY tribe, MY children... What the item actually is doesn't matter; so long as the kobold can define it as belonging to him, then he will be fiercely protective of it.

As kobolds are also a naturally vengeful species, with a strong instinctive urging to enact retribution for slights, then this possessiveness can be dangerous to others.

However, it also makes kobolds extremely loyal to those they bond with. Kobolds will never betray their kith and kin, and expect the same sort of loyalty in return. Few things more readily incense a kobold as a traitor.

Of course, all of this means that kobolds can easily fall into cruelty and abusive behaviors born of their arrogance. A kobold who considers herself superior to others can easily let the power go to her head, becoming the worst kind of petty tyrant. Of course, kobolds will not stand to be abused or dominated, and the fate of those who try such things on their fellows is execution or exile.

Courtship
Kobold tribes do not usually place any sorts of limitations on when or how a kobold may choose a mate. Although the tribes do usually expect kobolds couples to produce offspring, their unusual physiology means that this is hardly a great issue, and as a result, kobolds do not have any taboos against same-sex pairings.

In most kobold tribes, kobolds mate opportunistically; a kobold who proves him or herself strong and desireable in some fashion earns the attracted interest of others, who seek to bear (or, more rarely, father) the successful kobold's young. These couplings usually only last a short time and end after one or both parties lose sexual interest, with any resultant progeny being reared by the mother.

This does not mean long-lasting bonds are unheard of. In many tribes, kobolds of particularly high status will assemble harems who eagerly share physical pleasure with their "alpha" in exchange for food, comfort and protection. And, of course, the highly individualistic kobolds may form more stable unions, usually due to political reasons or shared interests; these can vary from forming small networks of sexual partners that intersect with each other to lifelong monogamous unions, especially in those tribes that live closer to more monogamous cultures.

Kobolds are an ovoviparous race with a particularly unusual reproductive strategy. A pregnant kobold conceives a clutch of, on average, 2 to 6 eggs (half that for males), but this number can increase quite markedly; kobolds actually get increasingly fecund as they age or are fed especially well. These eggs develop to the point they are ready to be laid after a period of two weeks - but, kobolds can consciously delay laying their eggs up until they actually hatch, which takes approximately seven months after conception.

This means breeding requires a certain level of risk balancing for the gravid kobold, as retaining the eggs in the womb brings both advantages, such as keeping the eggs properly heated and protected from parasites, and disadvantages, in the form of encumbering the expectant mother.

Most kobold tribes have a communal hatchery where kobolds can lay their eggs and return to their usual lives until their hatchlings are ready to be raised. On the rare cases a kobold doesn't have a hatchery, it typically establishes a burrow to lay its eggs in, protecting it with an arsenal of traps that seems paranoid even to other kobolds.

Culture
Kobold culture falls into roughly two camps; the "traditionalist" faction, which has become increasingly uncommon over the generations, and the "modernist" faction.

At their hearts, both kobold factions are similar, focusing on the survival of the kobold species and banding together in large tribal groups for safety and support.

Traditionalist kobolds are driven by their obsession with their draconic ancestry. Almost invariably led by powerful fleshcrafting kobold mages or the rare dragon-touched kobold warlord, these tribes are determined to undo the curse of the Black Dawn that turned them into kobolds. Such tribes are notedly xenophobic, at best regarding other races with arrogant dismissal as their inferiors, at worst actively seeking to conquer or slaughter them.

At the same time, they are among the most progressive of kobold tribes, as they constantly seek new ways to elevate and transcend their present state. This means they are the most active in seeking out and reclaiming ruins, creating new magics or redisocvering lost ones, and similar feats of advancement.

Such progressiveness, however, is usually fuelled by a sociopathic disregard for the lives of individual tribemembers. The Tribe is portrayed as all the kobold should care about, with individual lives being insignificant in comparison. These are the kobold tribes who pioneered the dubious "art" of experimenting upon adult and unhatched kobolds, creating the Dragonborn - but also producing the various drakes that now roam the land and prey upon all humanoids indiscriminately.

This willingness to experiment on their own people has led to the traditionalist camp waning, although some stubborn tribes still cling to the old ways, and it sporadically receives revival when kobolds find themselves particularly hard-pressed by their neighbors.

The modernists, by comparison, have mostly forsaken their draconic past; whatever their ancestors were, it is the present that matters. Kobolds are who they are, and they should take pride in themselves.

Consequently, modernist tribes tend to be the most friendly towards outsiders - for a given value of friendly. So long as they are treated with respect, they will extend the same courtesy, focusing on simply trying to build up their culture based on their own strengths.

Irregardless of faction, certain traits remain true of kobolds throughout the known world.

Kobolds are avid artists, particularly favoring sculpture, kinetic artwork, and scrimshander. Most kobolds learn to whittle or carve, and idly work on wood, stone, bone, teeth, shells or other such mediums to create personal decorations and tokens for themselves when not busy with the usual tasks.

Although it's true that kobolds make predominant use of snares and traps to catch meat for their tribes, hunting is also an entertainment for the tribe in and of itself. Kobolds, however, pragmatically aim to either kill their quarry with projectiles or to chase it into traps that either kill or immobilize the prey so it can be safely dispatched. They consider antics such as trying to spear boars to death in close combat as foolishness of the utmost degree; a successful hunter returns with food and without injuries.

Kobolds are surprisingly adept at training beasts, and usually keep a variety of creatures near their lairs in order to suit a variety of roles. Although this also tends to serve a practical purpose - giant badgers make excellent tunnel-diggers and giant weasels make skilled hunting beasts, for example - the simple truth of the matter is that kobolds actively enjoy the company and loyalty of trained animals.

Kobolds typically dine communally, with designated cooks preparing meals that are shared in central safe areas. Only the most elite members of a kobold tribe dine alone, and meal time is generally considered a time to relax, talk, enjoy leisure activity and even make advances on potential mates.

Although they are not great fans of intoxicants, their alchemical interests means that many kobold tribes do produce brewed liquors, either for trade or their own use. Their usual environments mean that most kobold alchohols are based on fruit and fungus, rather than grains.

Mead is perhaps the most favored alcohol for kobolds who dwell in forests. Not only is it energizing and tasty, but the bees can make formidable defenders for the tribe's settlement. As a matter of fact, kobolds will attempt to brew mead from any poisonous insect that produces sufficiently sweet "honey", including wasps and ants. Consequently, kobold mead is not recommended for the inexperienced drinker.

Kobolds are opportunistic feeders, consuming whatever they can manage to reliably get. By preference, their diet is predominantly carnivorous, supplemented with root vegetables, nuts, fruits and berries; even settled kobolds rarely grow grains or cereal crops. Although kobolds readily hunt small to medium game when possible, the bulk of their protein comes from rodents and invertebrates. All kobold communities have worm-farms and rat-farms that provide the bulk of the meat that the tribe consumes.

Settlements
Kobold settlements are tpyically established in areas where kobolds feel comfortable; mountain caves, dense and tangled forests, ruined cities and underground tunnels like old mines are the usual dwellings of choice for kobolds.

Wherever they dwell, though, kobolds build firs and foremost for defense. Natural terrain that provides protection is carefully charted, integrated and enhanced before the kobolds begin bolstering their lair with ring after ring of traps. Establishing and maintaining traps is considered not just one of the most essential duties in the tribe's lair, but an artform in its own right, and kobolds can win great status on the inventiveness, efficiency and sheer viciousness of their additions to the home's defenses.

Almost as important as the traps are the escape routes. Kobold settlements are invariably filled with concealed routes that allow the inhabitants to outflank or escape from would-be intruders, making them nightmares to beseige.

Aside from traps, priority is given to the chambers most useful to the tribe as a whole; a collective eating/sleeping hall, storage chambers, a communal hatchery, etcetera. Once these essentials are in place, comfort is generally left to the discretion of individual kobolds - a kobold who wants more privacy than a patch of warm earth in the main hall to curl up on is given a pick and a shovel and then told "start digging".

More respected members of the kobold tribe might be able to entice, coax or demand that others build lairs for them, but the truth is that such a privilege is rarely invoked. Kobold possessiveness and desire for privacy most strongly manifests itself when establishing a personal den, and the typical kobold considers establishing its own nest to be a personal right, allowing them to make sure everything is perfectly to heir taste.

Allowing another kobold to share their den is a great indication of trust and respect amongst kobolds, and usually only seen amongst mated pairs. Even when traveling with members of other species, kobolds prefer to sleep apart from the rest of the group - if they must share a room with another companion, the kobold will usually wedge itself into the darkest, "safest" nook, such as partially behind a cupboard or under a bed, so it has some measure of privacy. Openly sleeping where the rest of the party can see it, or doing something like huddling together for warmth, is done only when absolutely necessary, or if the kobold truly trusts its companion(s).

Although some kobold tribes are semi-nomadic, settling in one place only long enough to stripmine it all of its valuable resources and then moving on when it's exhausted, most tribes prefer to permanently settle down. It's simply far more work to properly build up a region to kobold tastes than is generally worth it. That is not to say that they won't retreat from their land if pushed hard enough, just that the kobolds will do everything in their power to make life a misery for those pushing them out.

Adventurers
Despite their reputation for xenophobia and arrogance, kobold adventurers are relatively common. Many are champions, emissaries or otherwise agents of their tribe, setting out to complete some task that will bring salvation or glory to their people. Others are exiles, seeking to build personal power, seek revenge, or just find a new tribe to belong to. Kobolds motivated by genuine curiosity about the outside world are something of a minority, but still far from uncommon.

In general, kobold adventurers gravitate towards classes where their stature will be less of a disadvantage, with a preference towards focusing their skills on stealth and magic. But the Malebolge is a wide world and kobold heroes can come in many guises.

Barbarians: These are, without a doubt, the rarest of all kobold adventurers. Although the kobold passion makes battle-rage an easy emotion for them to grasp, kobolds are well aware that their short statures make them less than suited for this bluntly offensive class. Those kobolds who do become barbarians are almost always Berserkers, having a level of pent-up fury that their culture simply cannot help them control. Though still a tiny minority in comparison, Battleragers are the next most common form of kobold barbarian, essentially representing berserkers whose tribes sought to make them into living suicide weapons rather than exiling them for their frenzy. Totem Warriors are the rarest of the rare, but also more respected, as those kobolds who can form spirit-pacts are usually best able to control their emotions and are seen more as warrior-warlocks than "real" barbarians.

Bards: Although other races may stereotype kobolds as humorless, they actually produce a great many bards, who often serve both as workforce leaders, lorekeepers and entertainers. Because of their role in the tribe, the majority of kobold bards are either loremasters (Collge or Lore) or jesters (College of Satire) - the former keep the histories of their tribe and typically adventure to chart the progress of their people across many different regions, whilst the latter are entertainers who amuse with savage wits, ribald humor and physical buffoonery. The more combat-related forms of bard, such as skalds (College of Valor) and blades (College of Swords) are far less commmon, as most bards are considered too valuable to get into the fray. Such a bard most likely trained under an outsider bard allowed into a kobold tribe's stronghold, or was even adopted by a traveling skald/blade - on the other hand, a few kobold bards who survived the destruction of their tribe turn to mastering weapons in order to better defend themselves as they travel across the wasteland.

Fighters: Although certainly more common than barbarians, kobold fighters are still an uncommon sight, because kobolds are well aware that their physique makes them unsuited for straightforward combat. Other kobolds respect a kobold fighter, but also hold them slightly at bay, certain that a fighter's destiny is to die. This conviction means that kobold fighters tend to, stereotypically, either be grimly stoic self-sacrificers or else hedonists who seek to cram in a full life with the expectation that they may die any day. Of the various subclasses of fighter, no particular variety is especially prominent, though Champions are a definite rarity, as they are seen as most strongly playing against type - Scouts, perhaps, may be most common of the kobold fighters. Perhaps the most surprising thing to outsiders is that kobolds have a comparatively strong tradition of Cavaliers, who typically ride giant versions of lizards, amphibians, vermin or burrowing or cave-dwelling mammals like weasels, bats or badgers.

Monks: Kobolds do not have a well-developed monastic tradition, making monks a rarity, but they do have both a strong racial belief in self-sufficiency and inner strength, combined with combat training, that makes monks possible. Kobold monks, however, are more individualistic champions, focused on harnessing and refining their inner strength and tapping into their true potential, making them surprisingly emotional and materialistic compared to the stereotypically chaste, controlled and spiritual monk. All forms of monk are seen amongst kobolds, but there is definitely a slight bias towards the Ways of Five Elements, Shadows, and Long Death.

Rangers: More common than fighters, but less so than rogues, kobold rangers tend to make up the elite of kobold hunters and warriors. They are vastly more likely to favor the archery and defense fighting styles than the duelist and dual-wielding styles, but otherwise, all three conclaves of ranger can be found amongst kobolds. There is a definite preference towards the Beastmaster, with boars, giant badgers and giant weasels being most common; DMs are encourage to discuss the environment that a kobold beastmaster hailed from and consider alternative animal companions.

Rogues: The most iconic of all kobold classes, most kobold "warriors" are actually members of this class, learning to use stealth and precision to compensate for their diminutive stature and lackluster reach. Because of their tribal culture, Thieves are the least common of all kobold rogues, and usually only develop amongst kobolds who spend a lot of time working around other races. Inquisitives are, likewise, a fairly rare class, for similar reasons. In contrast, Assassins are the most common of all kobold rogues, given their focus on using the class to refine their skills at killing. Arcane Tricksters are less common than Assassins, but considered equally respectable to kobolds.

Sorcerers: Most prized of all spellcasters for their symbolic ties to the inherently magical nature of dragons, it is obvious enough that most kobold sorcerers wield the internal magics of their people. Though Dragon Blood sorcerers are the most cherished and respected in traditionalist tribes, Kobold Blood sorcerers outnumber them in both camps and are more respected by the modernists. Whilst those are the two most common origins, other kinds of sorcerer are certainly possible; virtually every elemental magic can potentially manifest itself, from stormsouls, icehearts and flamebreaths to earthbones, greenbloods and rothearts. Only Wild Magic sorcerers are particularly rare amongst kobold sorcerers, and they also the only sorcerers to be distrusted and shunned by their people. Traditionalists look on Wild Mages with scorn, unable to control their "glorious birthright". Modernists simply tend to push their Wild Mages to the outskirts of the tribe, under the not-unreasonable excuse that someone whose powers can go so drastically out of control is not safe to be around.

Warlocks: What might surprise many to know is that warlocks make up a distinct minority amongst the spellcasting ranks of the kobolds. Both traditionalists and modernists regard the practice as suspiciously close to servitude, something that their pride rebels against. Kobold warlocks usually view their pacts as a case of mutual benefit, or even of themselves being the dominant party - whether this is true or not. There are no particular biases towards or against any of the various patrons.

Wizards: Although not held in the same respect as sorcerers due to having to study their magic rather than relying on what is in the blood, wizards are still greatly favored by kobolds for their power, which is not dependent on the body. Wizards often rise to lead kobold tribes - but are also often expelled as a result of political strife. All of the various Traditions are practiced by kobolds, although Transmuters are especially predominant amongst the traditionalist kobold tribes.

Mystics: Slightly rarer than sorcerers, mystics are a source of great pride to kobolds, for they truly emphasise the potential power of mind and soul over flesh and bone. Though this means that most kobold mystics belong to the Order of the Awakened, a significant minority instead focuses on the Order of the Immortal. The philosophical similarities between the two means that Immortal mystics often multiclass as monks, particularly in the Five Elements, Sun Soul and Open Hand styles.

Remove ads