• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e] looking for Reavers of Harkenwold conversion

ShogunAssassin

First Post
I am looking at running the 4e adventure from the DM kit, Reavers of Harkenwold.

Does anybody have a copy of it converted? Also what tips for running it in 5th? Any tips generally running it? (I ran it once in 4e and really enjoyed it)

MrHotter

First Post
I started to run it in 5th, but I did not get very far. I ended up with just converting the first book (The Iron Circle). I did not find any other conversion that I could use.

I was not sure what level would be appropriate for each part. My original plan was to run Reavers of Harkenwold, Cairn of the Winter King (Monster Vault adventure), and finish the path with Maddness At Gardmore Abbey. Since my players still like minatures, that gave me an adventure path with maps and monster counters. I figured I could go from level 2 to 8 in the adventures. I ended up scrapping the campaign and switching to CoS.

I pretty much just spent my time finding comparable monsters to substitute for the 4E ones.
Here's what I ended up with:
4 Players level 2 (we had a 'get to know your character' intro adventure)

Encounter E1 (200xp)
4 Bandits
2 Wolves

Encounter E2 (280xp)
2 Bandits
2 Scounts
3 commoners

Encounter E3 (350xp)
1 Acolyte
4 Bandits
1 Death Dog (instead of Iron Defender)

Encounter E4 (290xp)
1 Acolyte
3 Bandits
4 Commoners
1 Worg (instead of a drake)

Encounter T1 (275xp)
4 Bullywug
3 Stirges

Encounter t2
Did not run this one
Needs a caster bullywug and minions

Encounter t3
did not run
needs bullywug champion

Encounter D2 (200xp)
4 Tree Spiders

Encounter D3 (650xp)
1 Goblin Boss
5 Goblin
2 Worg (instead of drakes)

Encounter D4 (2850xp) very tough fight. It is still ranked as deadly if the party is level 4. I ended up making it an RP encounter where they had to trick the mage and trap him in his lair.
1 Mage (can give him skeleton immunities and vulnerabilities)
2 skeletons
1 Ettercap

ShogunAssassin

First Post
I started to run it in 5th, but I did not get very far. I ended up with just converting the first book (The Iron Circle). I did not find any other conversion that I could use.

I was not sure what level would be appropriate for each part. My original plan was to run Reavers of Harkenwold, Cairn of the Winter King (Monster Vault adventure), and finish the path with Maddness At Gardmore Abbey. Since my players still like minatures, that gave me an adventure path with maps and monster counters. I figured I could go from level 2 to 8 in the adventures. I ended up scrapping the campaign and switching to CoS.

I pretty much just spent my time finding comparable monsters to substitute for the 4E ones.
Here's what I ended up with:
4 Players level 2 (we had a 'get to know your character' intro adventure)

Encounter E1 (200xp)
4 Bandits
2 Wolves

Encounter E2 (280xp)
2 Bandits
2 Scounts
3 commoners

Encounter E3 (350xp)
1 Acolyte
4 Bandits
1 Death Dog (instead of Iron Defender)

Encounter E4 (290xp)
1 Acolyte
3 Bandits
4 Commoners
1 Worg (instead of a drake)

Encounter T1 (275xp)
4 Bullywug
3 Stirges

Encounter t2
Did not run this one
Needs a caster bullywug and minions

Encounter t3
did not run
needs bullywug champion

Encounter D2 (200xp)
4 Tree Spiders

Encounter D3 (650xp)
1 Goblin Boss
5 Goblin
2 Worg (instead of drakes)

Encounter D4 (2850xp) very tough fight. It is still ranked as deadly if the party is level 4. I ended up making it an RP encounter where they had to trick the mage and trap him in his lair.
1 Mage (can give him skeleton immunities and vulnerabilities)
2 skeletons
1 Ettercap

Great info just that has saved me a bunch of time, thanks. That's what I planned to do was just use similar monsters from the MM. Why did u decide to scrap it? Did the adventure still have the same feel as in 4e? I'm not running this until October but I would prefer to spend time painting minis for it rather then prepping stat blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remathilis

Legend
I "ran" it in 5e. But with some HUGE modifications.

* I ran it on my world, so I ended up changing the names of everything.
* Rather than running the dungeons as 2-3 encounters, I replaced the maps with actual mini-dungeons, restocked with monsters, traps, and treasure.
* I replaced the bullywugs with lizardfolk.
* I did the second part more-or-less as straight conversion.

I have my notes, but as I said every proper noun is changed. If you want, I'll email what I had.

MrHotter

First Post
Great info just that has saved me a bunch of time, thanks. That's what I planned to do was just use similar monsters from the MM. Why did u decide to scrap it? Did the adventure still have the same feel as in 4e? I'm not running this until October but I would prefer to spend time painting minis for it rather then prepping stat blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

It definitely has a different feel. 4E was big on the fighting where every fight seems like an event. In 5E I'm spending less time getting out my minis and not every fight is long enough to warrant setting up the map.

I do plan on going back to my 4E conversion, but when CoS came out I really wanted to start that campaign. My sessions are so seldom that there may also be more battle mat rules out for 5E by the time I get back to Reavers of Harkenwold.

ShogunAssassin

First Post
It seems I'll have to go through the books page by page, get the Monsters from MM & Volos and make the encounters a bit more dungeon like.

I plan to run this in forgotten realms and the valley has been lost and hasn't been rediscovered as it's surround by mist or something. The inhabitants of the valley don't leave as the storys of the outside world put them off and any who venture out don't come back.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Ive sent you a PM. is it possible to post the 2nd converted book here as MrHotter has converted the first book and it could be helpful for others if they are interested in running it

Remove ads