D&D 5E [5e] Multiclassing idea help

Vathayi

Villager
I have a character idea that could work well story and rp wise, but I'm not sure if it'd be good mechanically.
I'm thinking of AT Rogue 12, Lore Bard 6, Old Warlock 2.
If the Warlock doesn't make much sense, I'm fine without it, but how should i split Rogue/Bard then?
Also in which order would the character best leveled up? I'd like to start with Rogue.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I have a character idea that could work well story and rp wise, but I'm not sure if it'd be good mechanically.
If the Warlock doesn't make much sense, I'm fine without it, but how should i split Rogue/Bard then?
Also in which order would the character best leveled up? I'd like to start with Rogue.

Best Advice: Stop coming up with level 20 builds and then figuring out how to level them up. Pick a few lower level break points to build for like level 6 and 12 or something like that.

I guess the build question depends on whether you want to feel more like a caster or more like a rogue?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I agree that the end point is less interesting than the process getting there.

With Lore bard, level 6 gives you any 2 spells (but if that's what you're doing, why not just take the class those spells are coming from?); level 7 gives you 4th level bard spells (polymorph? greater invis?). Are there any break points along that route that interest you? Level 2 gives you Jack-of-trades, level 3 gives you expertise (but you get that at rogue 1).

Given that, I would start with rogue:

At least level 5 (expertise, +3d6 SA, plus your archetype feature), probably level 7 (more expertise, evasion). Once you are there, then decide whether you want to pick up some spells through Lore Bard, or just press on with Rogue.

Vathayi

Villager
I see, thank you both! I guess I want to play more of a Rogue character with just a few spells, and the idea is to make them know-it-all but for the love of god can't decide what they wanna be. (That paired with the fact they are a changeling sounds like a fun idea to me)

I guess going Rogue 7, then Lore 3 to pick up a bunch of skills, and going back to Rogue might be a good idea. Maybe grab some warlock if i feel like it later.

ccs

41st lv DM

Well, if it'll work story & RP wise & you like the character then you'll find ways to be effective.

I mean, I could post you my own Warlock, Bree Burrfoot. And you'd look at it &, based on the mechanics, probably say something along the lines of "That's pathetic/useless/why did(n't) you choose xyz....."
Fortunately though Bree is far more than the sum of her mechanics.

How am I supposed to tell if the Warlock lvs make sense? Sure, I can see the mechanical synergies. But you haven't told me anything about the character other than a sketch of it's mechanics. I'm looking at raw ingredients here. Nuts, bolts, +s/-s. Story & RP demand more than that though. Otherwise you might as well just be pushing a meeple (with a complex array of options) around in a board-game.
It's the Who/What/Why/Where/When & How's + all manner of non-mechanical stuff that determines if something makes sense for your character more-so than where the next + will come from.

So then start with Rogue.
THINK about the character that your envisioning. What combination/advancement pattern will help you most closely realize that at any given time? That's the best order to lv up in. Follow that order as closely as you can.*

*Sometimes you'll need to adjust a bit depending upon how the exact story/RP is developing at the table.

Vathayi

Villager
Well, if it'll work story & RP wise & you like the character then you'll find ways to be effective.

I mean, I could post you my own Warlock, Bree Burrfoot. And you'd look at it &, based on the mechanics, probably say something along the lines of "That's pathetic/useless/why did(n't) you choose xyz....."
Fortunately though Bree is far more than the sum of her mechanics.

How am I supposed to tell if the Warlock lvs make sense? Sure, I can see the mechanical synergies. But you haven't told me anything about the character other than a sketch of it's mechanics. I'm looking at raw ingredients here. Nuts, bolts, +s/-s. Story & RP demand more than that though. Otherwise you might as well just be pushing a meeple (with a complex array of options) around in a board-game.
It's the Who/What/Why/Where/When & How's + all manner of non-mechanical stuff that determines if something makes sense for your character more-so than where the next + will come from.

So then start with Rogue.
THINK about the character that your envisioning. What combination/advancement pattern will help you most closely realize that at any given time? That's the best order to lv up in. Follow that order as closely as you can.*

*Sometimes you'll need to adjust a bit depending upon how the exact story/RP is developing at the table.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definetely keep everything in mind when creating characters, but I think I solved my problem already! You can look at my other comment.
I thought about how my character should progress story wise and how that would affect their class, and that's how I reached the final conclusion.

I see, thank you both! I guess I want to play more of a Rogue character with just a few spells, and the idea is to make them know-it-all but for the love of god can't decide what they wanna be. (That paired with the fact they are a changeling sounds like a fun idea to me)

I guess going Rogue 7, then Lore 3 to pick up a bunch of skills, and going back to Rogue might be a good idea. Maybe grab some warlock if i feel like it later.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
IMHO The AT Rogue covers the 'Add Spells to my rogue' desire. If you want more than that though, you could make Charisma a strong secondary skill compared to your Dex and go to Rogue 14. Don't worry about buffing Int as the Arcane Trickster because you aren't going to be making a lot of spell attacks anyway. Go with Charisma and if you start to like the spell making more than the backstabbing, go Bard and consider college of Swords because it fits well with your being a light weapon guy in combat. Or go Hexblade and then Charisma can be your attack stat if you want.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Arcane Trickster seems like what you're looking for, for sure. The Warlock thing really depends on why you want it. I love that 2 lvl dip for the mask of many faces invocation. If you have plans to be a CHA style social rogue at all then that's a great combo with, say, the friends cantrip. The same dip gets you a few extra spell slots and a useful number of cantrips. I like it a lot. If you're planning a more technical rogue then it's maybe less exciting.

Vathayi

Villager
IMHO The AT Rogue covers the 'Add Spells to my rogue' desire. If you want more than that though, you could make Charisma a strong secondary skill compared to your Dex and go to Rogue 14. Don't worry about buffing Int as the Arcane Trickster because you aren't going to be making a lot of spell attacks anyway. Go with Charisma and if you start to like the spell making more than the backstabbing, go Bard and consider college of Swords because it fits well with your being a light weapon guy in combat. Or go Hexblade and then Charisma can be your attack stat if you want.

I considered playing Swashbuckler + College of Swords, but I'm more keen on stabing things from afar for this character, probly gonna go for a hand crossbow. Thanks for the Int tip tho, wasn't sure if I need much there.

Arcane Trickster seems like what you're looking for, for sure. The Warlock thing really depends on why you want it. I love that 2 lvl dip for the mask of many faces invocation. If you have plans to be a CHA style social rogue at all then that's a great combo with, say, the friends cantrip. The same dip gets you a few extra spell slots and a useful number of cantrips. I like it a lot. If you're planning a more technical rogue then it's maybe less exciting.

I'm definetely creating this character to be good outside of combat, but I don't want them to be too bad either. CHA Rogue is exactly what I'm going for, if the campaign isn't too combat heavy, maybe I'll have some fun with messing with this character. I think I'll stick with AT for most of my levels, dip a few in bard, and depending on how's the campaing going, maybe I'll go for warlock too. Definetely not in a hurry to grab his levels.

Esker

Hero
If you want to go in a darker direction with the character and you're not too combat focused, here's an idea:

AT 4, expertise in Deception and Persuasion, with Mage Hand, Gust, Friends, Find Familiar, Disguise Self, Charm Person, and Silent Image

Then Whispers Bard 5, taking Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation and Message, Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Comprehend Languages, Phantasmal Force, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, Fear, and Tongues, along with expertise in intimidation and insight.

Then GOO warlock 4 with Pact of the Chain, getting Dissonant Whispers, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Shadow Blade, and with the Mask of Many Faces invocation (or do Hexblade if you're too weak in combat)

If you go higher than that, add on to classes as you want.

Remove ads