D&D 5E 5E OB5ERVATIONS - from an Old School Ref

neobolts

Explorer
That raises an interesting question, though - about creating a range of monster NPC's in advance, calculating their CR's, and then keeping them on the shelf for building NPCs or rival adventuring parties on the fly. You could have cleric stats representing a L1 cleric, L3, L5, L7, L9, and so on. You could do that for all the basic classes and have it ready on the fly. Assuming I'm in 5E for the long haul, it's something for me to consider - a personal "Rogues Gallery" or "Shady Dragon Inn", if you remember some of those 1980's supplements.

Paizo has an NPC Codex for Pathfinder that does this wonderfully. Level 1-20 NPCs for every class, plus commoners. Would LOVE to have this in 5e.

It's for Dragon Warriors, but Friends or Foes is cool - 36 NPCs the players can encounter from nobles to hags to madmen, each one gets a page of history and motivation plus a stat block (which obviously you'd need to redo), but most importantly it focuses on the C of NPC, with lots of potential plot hooks along the way. Good inspirational reading if nothing else. Get it from DriveThru (£10 for the pdf).

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/93970/Friends-or-Foes

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
...creating a range of monster NPC's in advance, calculating their CR's, and then keeping them on the shelf for building NPCs or rival adventuring parties on the fly. You could have cleric stats representing a L1 cleric, L3, L5, L7, L9, and so on. You could do that for all the basic classes and have it ready on the fly. Assuming I'm in 5E for the long haul, it's something for me to consider - a personal "Rogues Gallery" or "Shady Dragon Inn", if you remember some of those 1980's supplements.
I'll do Fighter and Wizard if you do Rogue and Cleric.

Catwithafez

First Post
In my brief time of DMing 5e, I made one significant change to rules to healing:

I like the short rest/long test mechanic because it keeps the game moving. I don't like the idea that a PC can potentially fully heal by simply "eating, drinking, reading, and tending wounds" for one hour.

So i've decided to add a resource cost to healing. The pc's need to use a healers kit per HD of healing for short rest. During long rest, one "use" of a healers kit heals one max HD. Healers kits now cost 50gp, making it 5gp per "use."

The healers kit is now a triple antibiotic with gelatinous cube added to really kill the germs. Acolytes of the local temples pay good money for gelatinous cube in order to create these kits.

Healing without a healers kit is 1hp plus con bonus per long rest. No short rest healing without a healers kit.

I've done one long session with this new rule and the group seems fine with it.

What do you think?

(This was copy/pasted from an old post of mine)

I like that change. I was not a fan of the reduced healing time in 5e as I cut my teeth on 0e and 1st ed. way, way, back. I'm starting a new group that's never played before so I'm very torn on whether I should adopt your healing system or leave things as is for the new players.

CapnZapp

Legend
Paizo has an NPC Codex for Pathfinder that does this wonderfully. Level 1-20 NPCs for every class, plus commoners. Would LOVE to have this in 5e.
There was this guy who wrote a script to auto generate all combos of NPCS for 4th ed.

Book of NPCs.

Let's hope this will be possible for 5th too...

Remove ads