D&D 5E [5e] Please, help me choose a feat

GaledMORE

Villager
Hello folks, sorry for putting you through the ordeal of reading a textwall written in poor English, but I'm no native speaker and I need an external (and quite urgent) advice for my build.

I'm playing a level 7 Half Orc BattleMaster (STR Build, Dueling Fighting style) wielding a +1 Longsword and a +1 shield. The party I'm in (Rogue, Bard, Wizard, Cleric) is pretty squishy, with only the Cleric being able to take a beating; I'm also the only character that gets in the thick of melee, as the other players prefer a more cautious ranged approach (yes, even the Cleric). So, naturally, I end up filling the role of the tank and I'm always the first, and sometimes to only one, to be targeted during battle. So I need a way to improve my bulk and battlefield control, and I'm thinking of multiclassing into barbarian after level 8 as I have the DEX to pull it off without massive repercussions on my AC... but first I'd like to get a feat and I've been absurdly indecisive about it.
  • On paper, Sentinel looks like a match made in heaven for my fighter and it's my primary choice, but I'm not totally sold on its actual utility. On my table we can go for months without a monster provoking OAs, as the DM loves to throw at us small armies instead of single big monster. My character always get surrounded and beaten by enemies holding their ground, so I won't get much mileage from the speed reducing feature. Is the reaction attack in clutch situations, on top of a possibile maneuver, really worth a feat?
  • Shield master is a close second, seeing as my table rules it without the errata; I can't really use the bash to push prone the opponent without hampering the rest of the party, but the push back is nice for preventing OAs, and the half-evasion comboes really well with the barbarian levels I'm about to take.
  • Resilient Wisdom is always good, as my WIS score is only 10 and I dig the idea of a Steel will fighter.
Based on these limited informations, which feat should I take?
Sorry again for the textwall, and thank you in advance for any suggestion.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hello folks, sorry for putting you through the ordeal of reading a textwall written in poor English, but I'm no native speaker and I need an external (and quite urgent) advice for my build.

I'm playing a level 7 Half Orc BattleMaster (STR Build, Dueling Fighting style) wielding a +1 Longsword and a +1 shield. The party I'm in (Rogue, Bard, Wizard, Cleric) is pretty squishy, with only the Cleric being able to take a beating; I'm also the only character that gets in the thick of melee, as the other players prefer a more cautious ranged approach (yes, even the Cleric). So, naturally, I end up filling the role of the tank and I'm always the first, and sometimes to only one, to be targeted during battle. So I need a way to improve my bulk and battlefield control, and I'm thinking of multiclassing into barbarian after level 8 as I have the DEX to pull it off without massive repercussions on my AC... but first I'd like to get a feat and I've been absurdly indecisive about it.
  • On paper, Sentinel looks like a match made in heaven for my fighter and it's my primary choice, but I'm not totally sold on its actual utility. On my table we can go for months without a monster provoking OAs, as the DM loves to throw at us small armies instead of single big monster. My character always get surrounded and beaten by enemies holding their ground, so I won't get much mileage from the speed reducing feature. Is the reaction attack in clutch situations, on top of a possibile maneuver, really worth a feat?
  • Shield master is a close second, seeing as my table rules it without the errata; I can't really use the bash to push prone the opponent without hampering the rest of the party, but the push back is nice for preventing OAs, and the half-evasion comboes really well with the barbarian levels I'm about to take.
  • Resilient Wisdom is always good, as my WIS score is only 10 and I dig the idea of a Steel will fighter.
Based on these limited informations, which feat should I take?
Sorry again for the textwall, and thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Take 1 level of barbarian and then take sentinel.

Esker

Hero
Would you say your highest priority is being better able at protecting your allies, or better able at surviving being ganged up on? Sentinel helps you do the first; a level of barbarian helps you do the second.

Shield Master would mostly be a damage feat for you in the context of your table's ruling on it. Since you tend to fight lots of small enemies, the disadvantage to your allies is less worrisome, since you don't need to focus fire as much.

I think @FrogReaver's suggestion is a good one: get that damage resistance a couple times a day when you need it most first, then worry about the feat at level 9.

If you don't think you'll get a lot out of Sentinel being the only melee focused character, you could also consider taking something simple like Tough. Heavy Armor Master is also really good vs Hordes, though I take it you already maxed your STR.

GaledMORE

Villager
I think self-survival is a tad more important, for now. So yeah, taking a Barbarian level first and choosing a feat second seems like a good idea. I don't know, maybe monsters will disengage more often in attempt to stop my rage, making Sentinel a more appealing choice. If they mob me even more, well... Tough its good enough.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Barbarian seems a very solid choice.

Is your strength maxed? If not, heavy armor master is a good choice since you tend to fight hordes. Though I think taking barbarian first is likely better.

If you do go barbarian, considering your party makeup and tactics (they stay at range, you're in melee), if you can make 2 more levels of barbarian then wolf totem might be a big benefit (giving everyone advantage against your adjacent opponents). Everyone seems to go bear, but wolf is highly under rated.

GaledMORE

Villager
Sadly HAM in incompatible with Barbarian restrictions and, as supposed by Esker, my STR is already maxxed; half a feat would go to waste. I've already planned to go Barbarian anyway, until the supposed end of the campaign around lvl12 or so.

delph

Explorer
What about 3 lvls barbarian - ancestral guardian And than mobile feat... When someone slip around you, you come back, hit him And go back...

delph

Explorer
Od two lvlsof barbarian to get danger sensei, than shild master And get in middle And your casters send few fireballs arond you... You'll have +7 + Dex + advantage...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases