D&D 5E 5e, some thoughts.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
As an (O)D&D player since the mid-70s, if I had thought in terms of deal breakers I never would have tried 1E, 2E, 3.XE, 4E or the many other RPGs that have given me tons of fun over the past four decades. I'm glad I am not one who sees an individual mechanic and considers it a deal breaking decision but if that is how someone wishes to approach thier tabletop hobby gaming, particularly before the game has even been finalized, there's really nothing the rest of us can do to talk them out of such a stance. We're probably better off not trying.

Tortoise

First Post
As for dealbreakers, I see lot of it as a thin justification ofr not playing a game. Sure, if it is too serious, I can see it, but for example rolling stats or using point buy is trivial. If that is somone's dealbreaker, I just cannot understand their way of thinking.

From what they have indicated so far both rolling for stats and point buy are options and there is no reason for either to be left out. At least this way the DM and group can decide which to use.

Tortoise

First Post
On another topic within the framework of the thread . . .

A DM of one of the groups I play in remarked recently that he feels the game is already written and the open playtest is just a marketing tool and nothing we as playtesters suggest will affect the core mechanics as they stand.

While I can understand where he is coming from (they have been playtesting and designing for over 9 months already), I am a little more optimistic and feel that if enough playtesters have a disagreement with something that is currently in the skeleton, that it could be altered.

The designers did say it was going to be quite a while before release so despite not giving us a solid time-frame it would seem long enough to fix a big issue if one is discovered.

Consonant Dude

First Post
Deal breakers are silly.

I hate vancian, and they have said it is in, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker (but TBH if they brought back THAC0 I'm gone) as long as I get to do magical stuff all the time (no crossbows, no slings, and no big sticks)

Most of the things that people say are dealbreakers are stupid. Those people will be in the minority - and if people say that they are probably overstating their feelings. It is the internet afterall.

*******BREAKING NEWS********

So I am a billionaire and I just bought the DnD brand.

My first move as head of WotC was to fire everyone involved in RPGs. They haven't been able to nail DnD yet, so out they go! I have decided to hire a new enthusiastic staff with a fresh take on roleplaying. In charge of R&D is Bob, my neihghbor who cooks a mean rabbit stew. Bob is a former underground boxer (record of 2-23-2) and I intend to use his extensive expertise in flea market fights to craft the ultimate edition of the game. We have looked carefully at the combat system of previous editions and decided they are extremely flawed. Initiative is always a confusing mess, hitting is arbitrary. I can't wrap my head around hit points and AC. I also feel weapons aren't differentiated enough and the wounding system is unrealistic. Bob has identified the thickness of the manuals as another obstacle to learning the game.

Our solution is the new Innovative Ball Breaker System™. IBBS™ relies on real fights between the players, not their characters. It represents the end of endless calculation to know when it is your turn. Market research and playtesting (while highly inebriated) have shown people really love the fact they aren't sitting around waiting for their turn. To represent big monsters and special attacks such as trampling or breath weapon, DMs are provided with guidelines and suggestions including trying to run over their players with a car or using flamethrowers.

We are currently consulting with former members of MADD and Jack Chick and are happy to announce most trace of occultism will not be part of the next edition. Spells, demons and that sort of stuff are out. A new magician class is featured with a starting kit to "50 Easy Magic Tricks" written by David Copperfield. Learn how to make a rabbit appear out of a hat. These fluffy creatures are handy ammunition to throw during combat and are delicious if you follow Bob's recipes, which come in the Monster Cooking Manual core book. One other genius innovation is the divine intervention system powering the cleric class. No more spells for the cleric! Grab you d20, close your eyes and pray to a higher power before making to-hit or saves. Then throw your die! Good-aligned clerics can support other members of the party by praying for them before they roll. These features make the cleric the most versatile it has ever been and finally solve the age-old problem of cleric being either an active participant in combat or providing support for others. You can now do both!

We know we're breaking new ground with this game but we are confident none of this will be considered a deal breaker. Deal breakers are silly anyway. Look for the game in your favorite hobby store. MSRP 350 USD, books bound with leather coming from your choice of the top 5 endangered species on the planet and assembled in the filthiest sweatshop we could find to save costs.

OK, so this example is extreme but between that and the perfect game for each of us, everyone has a breaking point somewhere in the middle. And with so many amazing roleplaying games out there and more being produced all the time, skipping something that isn't to your liking is not so unreasonable ;)

Just registered here and am carefully optimistic about the next edition. I hope it will be amazing for as many people as possible. But if it's not for me, I'm not gonna feel silly about playing something else.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases