[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Unsung

First Post
These are great!

Between the Sister, Gentleman Jim, and myself, we might have a later-level excuse to wind up in France, and that wouldn't be a bad thing at all, in my book. On the other hand, I like the energy that Kid brings. I was hoping someone would take that Fortune.

Shayuri

First Post
Peterka, hey there!

I gave your character a once over. It seems likes a decent grappler build overall, but I am wondering why you're choosing a bard in particular? It wouldn't take much shuffling to make this a really good monk, or a pretty decent barbarian or fighter. Being a bard limits you in a few important ways, mechanically...in particular it limits your AC and hit points, meaning that you'll be very fragile compared to most characters who thrive by grabbing horrible monsters and trying to give them wedgies. :) Monks get better unarmored AC, and barbarians get better HP. They also both have class features that make that sort of tactic more viable. Meanwhile bard is giving you Inspiration and Spellcasting, both of which key off of your Charisma, which is a secondary stat in terms of your build's weighting.

Conceptually bard might work better...but consider that the Entertainer backround gives some of the flavor of a bard without demanding any real sacrifices in terms of mechanics.

I'm also finding myself curious about how Etienne made the transition from 'honest sailor' to 'scalawag of the seven seas.' There's more to this story, yes? :)

Any comments for my bard character ?
I am not officially a member of this party yet, but I'll take a stab. Are there stats somewhere that you could use for a full-on 5e swashbuckler? If not, then I think you could re-skin (to borrow Unsung's patois) monk into a nifty bar-brawling vagabond.

I, too, want to know more about Etienne's story. If you could drop a quick three of four lines saying something about Etienne, who he is, what motivates him, what his weaknesses are, I bet ideas will spark left and right about how to fit race/class/mechanics to character concept.

Oh, and dig the name. Etienne. Always been a favorite of mine.

Unsung

First Post
[MENTION=2880]Peterka[/MENTION] I think I missed the spoiler text last time I saw your post. Seems like this game is just attracting all us Canucks. :) This does seem like a character who'd benefit from at least a little multiclassing, which would feed even further into his well-travelled, bard-of-all-trades vibe. At least one level of a barbarian, monk, fighter, or rogue would probably give you most of what you'd want out of a swashbuckler, and might free up one of your feat slots for later.

In any event, it's nice to know we'll still have Song of Rest going for us. What were you thinking of going with for your bard college?

peterka99

First Post
My character was a NPC bard 4, fighter 1 from my own game, reworked for this game.

Bond: Thrill (good stories)-seeking
Fortunes: Beaver-fur hat, Military rank, Weird tales book to publish to be famous

Life in the navy was too dull a path to follow. Etienne jumped on the first offer to see forturne, glory and write down good stuff of legend. See him like a Viking Skald; he can trace back his ancestors from Normandy. He's a good lar, but who can believe his grand-grand(...) father was William the conqueror, Count of Normandy and Norsemen scion ?

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. Well, we are only level 4 characters to start with, but that's a small caveat. If you're happy with your stats, then that's the important thing. :)

peterka99

First Post
If you're happy with your stats, then that's the important thing. :)
Sure I am! See community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4142801 to find out why bards can be good wrestlers.

as per the ship role: entertainer, public writer, truchement (translator) ?

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
My personal preference, and this is just IMHO, of course, is for Sister Virginie. She's got a great story and we could probably use a surgeon. The Kid is good too and obviously rogue fits very nicely with the game. I would stay wwaayyyyyy away from playing a Paladin with this group. I think the natural Chaotic nature of Pirates (and this group) will end up not being fun for anyone, you most of all. But again, just my opinion. You are a fantastic RPer and I am sure can make anything work. :)

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] Have you checked out our game files? I think [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] actually created a swashbuckler which looked really good. I considered switching to it myself!

Remove ads