D&D 5E 5E Survivor - 5th Edition Survives! [+]

ccooke

Adventurer
Believe me, there really, really isn't.

For an extremely long time, it was very rare for a month to go by with no one making an essentially pure fluff thread about how 5e was God's gift to gamerkind and how full of sunshine and rainbows it was. Even incredibly mild criticism had a tendency to cast summon dogpile, greater. The only thing that's changed is that the honeymoon has finally worn off and people are able to actually discuss issues and difficulties in earnest.
I think this depends a lot on your perspective.
People who disagree with you are a lot more noticeable than people who agree, sadly. My impression has been that there has been no lack of criticism. We're probably both wrong :)

Argyle King

Legend
There are a lot of things I feel that 5E does well.

But the areas where I think the design could be better are things that I'm not sure how to "fix" without large changes to the core structure of the game.

Mechanically, I remember very little of 2E. I barely had a chance to interact with it before Satanic Panic took over the area where I live.

Though, for some reason, the writing style and general aesthetic of the 2E books speak to me.

FireLance

Legend
As I said in another thread:

5E is my second favorite edition. No joke.

My relationship with 5E is like 3E showing up at my doorstep, having lost a third of their former weight, with new clothes and a new haircut, saying that they had learned a lot from 4E, and asking, now that 4E is in a coma after a terrible accident which they assure me that neither they nor their legion of devoted followers were responsible for, whether I would consider taking them back.

Because it's the second favorite edition of a lot of people, it gets a lot of criticism. But different people criticize different things.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Believe me, there really, really isn't.

For an extremely long time, it was very rare for a month to go by with no one making an essentially pure fluff thread about how 5e was God's gift to gamerkind and how full of sunshine and rainbows it was. Even incredibly mild criticism had a tendency to cast summon dogpile, greater. The only thing that's changed is that the honeymoon has finally worn off and people are able to actually discuss issues and difficulties in earnest.
I think that "5e is a great D&D edition" and "5e has some serious problems" are NOT contradictory statements.

I love 5e, and it has some rather serious flaws.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I think that "5e is a great D&D edition" and "5e has some serious problems" are NOT contradictory statements.

I love 5e, and it has some rather serious flaws.
All I can say is that I've repeatedly read people saying something to the effect of, "No one can say they don't actually like 5e!" Like...responding to comments of that nature has caused Problems for me in the past. And I have absolutely had people tell me that 5e has no meaningful flaws.

Ixal

Hero
A pity that 5E won, or even ranked high.
It removed pretty much anything not hack&slash related in its quest to become as accessible as possible after 4E nearly killed D&D, meaning that D&D will for the foreseeable future remain a RPG only focused on murdering things (see recent threads about killing in D&D) instead evolving into something more.

Remove ads