[5E] The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter One

Metea

First Post
Metea: Exotic Wares

Metea imagined that the guards did not bother too much with farmers off the roads. She suspected as much, but would not say anything about it.

Instead, she'd listen in, though it seemed the creatures were still a mystery. One that they'd probably need to get eyes on themselves to do anything about; but it seemed quite a trip, and they'd not accompany the farmer and his daughter that far.

Walking alongside Otiroth, a bit of her peskiness dulled by the seriousness of what they were talking about, the tiefling looked skywards when Dira pointed out the sunrise. It was an unusual color indeed; though in truth, Metea was rarely out and about this early. Staying up through the wee hours into morning wasn't so unusual, but being outdoors during that definitely was!

She'd nudge Otiroth with her shoulder, in case he hadn't taken note of it, too.

The silence from the tower had become notable.

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: Exotic Wares

"I am deeply sorry to hear of such sorrows," Otiroth said, and truly, he meant it. "And we may not know what those creatures are, but I could still offer a poultice that could offend the noses of those dogs and keep them away from livestock," he offered.

Indeed, traveling out to see these beasts would be better, but...

Metea nudged him then, and he'd follow her gaze to the splash of colors in the sky. He was not sure if he understood her concern- though the colors would have made a fine backdrop to a tryst in the grove, he imagined. The silence of the orator was notable, too- was this common for the naming ceremony? More's the reason he was right to skip it for the past few years.

If the Orator would hurry it up... perhaps declare it the year of the tiefling or something else scandalous... there may still be time for said tryst.

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - The Grove...and beyond

Dain seemed to agree with the cleric's plan easily enough. Better for him to make contact with the fugitive, as he was an outsider anyway. He probably had much less of a reputation in the village, and thus had far less to lose than the half-orc acolyte. Snatching up his backpack, he took off at an angle to intercept the fleeing woman...or girl. It was hard to tell which.

As he turned, regret at having to leave the vicinity of the tower raced through him. But with any luck, the booming voice could be heard for some distance. As his boots kicked up gravel and dirt, sprinting forward, he saw for the first time the odd color of the sky above the mountains. The colors were not something he thought to be natural, and a quick glance over his shoulder at the crowd confirmed his suspicions that it was not normal for the rest of the village either. He also saw his cleric friend trying his best to impede the guardsman...

Truly this is to be a moment of great importance! And I think it no coincidence that I chase this girl! As surly as my heart told me to act on her behalf, I believe that with every step I may come closer to the truth of my past!

He doubled down on his racing sprint. When he came within earshot of her, he called out. "I can help you!"

If there was a hidden path nearby, or a place he knew of to conceal her, perhaps she would agree to his help? He had grown quite familiar with such places after his arrival.

Carthum One-Tusk: The Grove

"Truly, you act in the light of Suru's graces!" Carthum extolled.

He'd give chase to the guard in what seemed an act of solidarity, orcish muscles pumping to get him ahead of the guard.

And then, well, he'd trip. Or at least, he'd try and trip, and make it look like an accident, to tumble right in front of the guard and maybe trip him up as well.

After all- Carthum One-Tusk was notoriously clumsy!

<Is there a roll for deliberately falling down? >

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- No use hunting

The bustle had driven off all of the good game.

That was normal, though. Hunting too close to the roads was always hit or miss, as most beasts were wary where they knew humans and other species frequently traveled. It also was hit or miss for the hunter, as Jeovanna did not want to set out any traps where some unwary citizen might stumble into its iron jaws.

But she had known the festival was coming. Had listened to travelers passing by talking about it for near a month. She had planned ahead, and had enough hardtack and jerky to last until the crowds began to disburse and it was once more safe to hunt properly.

She was not far from the main road; a position that let her hear much of what was happening on the roads without being extremely obvious herself. Her favorite game trail, grass beaten down but still growing, also held her favorite place to take a crest- a black rock that seemed quite out of place among the otherwise normal trees and brush.

Jeovanna listened. Heard the mumble of citizens, and looked upwards. Through the branches of the trees, the dense canopy, she could just barely catch a hint of a very unnatural color in the sky...

Perhaps that was being announced at the naming festival? She had dallied out here long enough. There was nothing to fear in the crowds; so many strangers, none of them would know.

She was just another visitor.

97mg

Explorer
Otiroth & Metea

Otiroth & Metea: Past fellow late-arrivals down the gravel road ahead, you can now see the beginnings of the great tower’s grounds. People extend like a great herd from the looming basalt’s base, all the way along the grasslands that meet with the end of this track.

Most of the other south-pointed travelers give you plenty of berth, whilst others seem content to linger on the road near timber lodgings and shopfronts, waiting for the imminent announcement, or look to the heavens and wonder at the sky’s unusual coloring.

Dira detaches her hand from her father and moves beside the Tiefling, adding a skip to her step. “Have you ever tried yams?” she innocently asks.

Arrol offers Otiroth a little nod of thanks along the way too.

“If you have something that might serve a purpose, then I would be a fool not to at least try...”

Then there is a moment’s hesitation, before he adds, “but what might a yam-man possibly have to offer in exchange? We have traveled light you see.”

Indeed, they don’t seem to be carrying anything much at all. No packs, sacks or pouches are visible.

“Perhaps in return, there is some labor I could do to pay the debt?”

He then turns to look down the road towards the tower, and his brow crinkles, as though he might have seen something interesting.

<See Carthum & Dain’s post for more info.>

97mg

Explorer
Carthum & Dain

Carthum & Dain: Carthum closes in on the guard in a snap, the strength of his half-orcen calves a pounding power upon the great tower’s landmass. Falling in a realistic manner before the woman’s pursuer, however, seems to be beyond his ability this day, despite any prior practice. With Carthum tripping and sliding a little, the guard takes a simple leap to dodge this unexpected obstacle, all with a deep scowl upon his face.

He is not fooled.

As easy as it might be... to believe that a young half-breed cleric could fair better at chair-polishing, than physical prowess, he knows this was no accident. He runs onwards, turning for a moment to vocalise severe discontent.

“Later, Orc! Later!”

Threat issued, he charges ahead, looking out for the fleeing woman. Where did she go?

Dain knew. Damn she was quick!

“No thanks,” she calls back, responding to the stranger’s offer of assistance. The voice is as youthful and confident as her movement.

The young thing flys up the gravel road, starting to weave between arriving townsfolk.

“Well scuze me,” an elderly lady scowls.

“Whoa, watchit,” a villager pushing a little old cart snaps.

Then she pops down an alleyway, between two old timber sheds.

<Dain: You have lost sight of her temporarily (3 seconds-ish). The alleyway can be entered here via the road, or there is a possibility that an adjoining laneway might intersect.
Carthum: Should you arise and resume the chase, we will place you a round (6 seconds) behind the guard. For now, he is still visible!
Other Players: It is possible that Metea, Otiroth or Jeovanna could witness a woman sprinting in the opposite direction, pursued by a Ranger, as you are approaching the event by the same road. The decision is up to you. If things get confusing I can draw a little map?>

<Rolls used to determine above events: Opposed Dex checks and Deception vs Insight (Carthum vs Guard).>

Last edited:

97mg

Explorer
Mudmap

Town.jpg

<In case it helps. Not sure where Jeovanna is yet, up to you :) >

Metea

First Post
Metea: Exotic Wares

Metea was about to respond, when some shouting and fast movement from ahead caught her eye. Early morning ruckus, no doubt; with so many newcomers, it was no surprise that some of them were likely drunk and rowdy, and where there was rowdiness, there were the guards.

Killjoys, really!

Of course, amongst all the brown of the peasants and the silver of a running guard, she'd spot something far more interesting to her own- a flash of familiar green! It took only a fraction of a second, especially from this distance, for her mind to fill in the necessary blanks to turn this situation into nasty, cruel human guards doing her brother a disservice, and she'd abruptly bolt ahead to scramble around the crowd in her own crazy charge.

Metea wasn't exactly a long-distance runner, or a sprinter, but by the gods, she was going to get there, whether winded or not!

She let him out of her sight for two minutes!

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: Exotic wares

The sorcerer would tell the two about his shop a bit more- it was further in town, far enough to avoid most of the chaos of the festival.

Otiroth shrugged. "I am sure something can be worked out. My master is quite free with worthwhile remedies, it's the perfumes and 'love potions' that he-"

The conversation was interrupted by more than just the morning rush and the strange sunrise- it seems the guards were on the chase! Now, Otiroth's normal, completely natural inclination was to avoid the guards, as it was safer to avoid them than to worry too much about policing every thought and drop of blood in your body. Sometimes it could not be avoided, though. This was not one of those times, they had merely to wait until the guard ran past; whether or not he found the woman, who had cut off into an alleyway so quickly Otiroth had barely spotted her, was not really his concern.

Metea went springing off like a gazelle then, though, and with an apologetic glance towards the farmer, he would follow her.

Remove ads